Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lets Share recipes!

[as...]

I made this today for brunch, it was wonderful and super easy!

Breakfast Casserole

1lb of breakfast sausage

1 can diced green chilis

1 med sweet onion- chopped

6 eggs lightly beaten

4 cups frozen shredded hash browns- thawed

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 1/4 cups shredded swiss cheese

1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese

In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until crisp- drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in sausage mixture and transfer to a greased 13x9x2 baking dish.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 min or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 min before serving. Garnish with sour cream and salsa verde if desired.

Serves 12

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [as...]

• [le...]

• [Ka...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been posting recipes in my blog, should have known there'd be a thread.   ;D  Can't wait until I can have chocolate again to try the cake.  Anyway, here is a salad recipe for the warmer ....

Avocado Potato Salad

2 1/2 TBSP lemon juice

1 tsp finely chopped  garlic

1/3 cup mayonnaise

2 TBSP  olive oil

3 cups diced, cooked red potatoes

1/2 cup diced celery

1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (like Vidalia)

2 Avocados, diced

1/4 cup cilantro

Mix lemon juice, garlic, mayonnaise and olive oil for the dressing.  Tossed the potatoes, celery and onion together in a bowl with the dressing.  Gently fold in avocados and cilantro.

Enjoy!

Porcini Ravioli in Demi-Glace Cream Sauce

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil

• 1 red onion, thickly sliced

• Salt

• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

• 1 pound assorted mushrooms, including porcini, cremini, oyster, wood ear and white button

• 1 bay leaf

• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

• 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish

• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic

• 1/4 cup red wine – pinot noir is good

• 1 cup demi-glace ( if using Williams Sonoma, mix 2 Tablespoons with 1 cup chicken broth instead.  I used mushroom demi-glace, but I'm sure veal or chicken would be good as well)

• 1/2 cup heavy cream

• 1 pound fresh porcini ravioli ( I used 2 packages Buitoni brand from dairy section)

• Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish

• Must serve with bread !

Directions

In a large saute pan over high heat, add olive oil. Add the red onion and saute until tender. Season with salt and crushed red pepper.

Add the mushrooms and bay leaf and cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with the balsamic. Add the parsley and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and demi-glace and reduce the heat to medium-low.

Let simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add the cream and stir to combine. Simmer for another few minutes or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, add porcini ravioli and cook until they come to the surface (just a couple minutes for fresh ravioli.) Drain well and serve with sauce over top. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan

[cd...]

Blueberry Orange Bran Muffin

Ingredients

1/2 cup oat bran

1 cup wheat bran

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup milk

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup fresh blueberries

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 orange, juiced and zested

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.

Combine the oat bran and wheat bran in a large bowl. Stir in sour cream and milk. Allow mixture to stand for 10 minutes. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt in a separate bowl. Gently stir blueberries into the flour mixture, carefully coating all the blueberries with flour. Stir vegetable oil, orange juice and zest, egg, and vanilla extract into the bran mixture. Combine flour mixture with the wet ingredients until just blended. Drop batter into lined muffin cups.

Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

I love this thread!  Always looking for yummy foods to try.

Here is another avocado recipe, I love avocados!

Creamy avocado and hearts of palm salsa

Dressing

3/4 sour cream

2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped

2 tsp lime juice

1/2 tsp finely minced seeded jalapeno

1/4 tsp salt

Salsa

1 14 oz can of hearts of palm, drained, dice

2 avocados, diced

2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced

1 TBSP red onion, chopped

1 TBSP lime juice

1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped

1 small garlic clove minced

For dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  For salsa, combine the ingredients in a medium bowl.  Gently stir dressing into salso.  Serve with tortilla chips, toasted baguette slices or on top of salad greens. 

calories per serving 130

fat 10 grams

Two rubs I use for Cedar Plank Salmon on the Weber. Use direct heat on the barbecue. Soak the plank in water around 4 hours or more.

You can also do this in the oven.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 cup salt

3 Tablespoons granulated garlic

3 Tablespoons granulated onion

1 Tablespoon dried dill weed

1 Tablespoon dried savory

2 teaspoons dried tarragon

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon coarse salt

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Yum!  Sounds similar to my salmon recipe!

Mike, if this is done in the oven, what temp would you use?  Regular fish temp (275 - 300) or would the temp need to be much higher?

Also, for anyone who is interested, you can purchase cedar planks at gourmet cooking stores like Williams-Sonoma, or simply find an online resource. :thumbsup:

Yum!  Sounds similar to my salmon recipe!

Mike, if this is done in the oven, what temp would you use?  Regular fish temp (275 - 300) or would the temp need to be much higher?

Also, for anyone who is interested, you can purchase cedar planks at gourmet cooking stores like Williams-Sonoma, or simply find an online resource. :thumbsup:

When I cook it in the oven the temp is 425.

When you have a sec, can you post yours? I'm always looking for something new.

Sure!  I ordered wild caught sockeye from my vendor in the Pacific NW for this. I thought it was better than using king salmon.  Also, my husband used to HATE salmon ( must be from frowing up eating canned salmon croquettes), and he LOVES this recipe. http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/Food%20Smileys/girl_prepare_fish.gif

Broiled Salmon in Simple Glaze

Ingredients

• 1 side, skin-on, sockeye salmon, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, pin bones removed - try to make sure your salmon is not short and thick but rather longer and thinner so that it will cook all the way through without burning

• 1/3 cup dark brown sugar  

• 2 tablespoons lemon zest (or orange)

• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Position a rack in the oven 3 inches from the broiler. Line a half sheet pan with heavy duty aluminum foil and place the salmon on the pan. Note:  Bend the edges of the foil up so that it catches all the glaze when cooked.

Place the sugar, zest, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a small food processor and process for 1 minute or until well combined. Evenly spread the mixture onto the salmon and allow to sit for 45 minutes, at room temperature. Very important!

Clean up the runny sugar in pan before putting in oven. Also very important!

Turn the oven on to the high broiler setting for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, place the salmon into the oven and broil for 6 to 8 minutes or until the thickest part of the fish reaches an internal temperature of 131 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the salmon from the oven and allow to rest, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Notes: If it starts to burn after 4-5 minutes (sometimes it does, sometimes not - it depends on how thick your fish is), you can move to lower rack and continue to broil, or if salmon is especially thick, you may have to finish it by baking at 350 for a few mintues. Just make sure you reach that temp of 131 and no higher!  

Here's an easy Chicken dish that my husband really likes.  You can use canned (not in oil) artichoke hearts if you are unable to find frozen. I almost always have all the ingredients on hand, so if I'm ever in a pinch for dinner, I'll make this. Also, I usually double the recipe.

Chicken Vesuvio

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil

• 4 chicken thighs with skin and bones

• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, halved

• 4 large garlic cloves, minced

• 3/4 cup dry white wine

• 3/4 cup chicken broth

• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

• 1 teaspoon dried thyme

• 8 ounces frozen artichoke hearts or 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Heat the oil in large ovenproof pot over high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches if necessary, cook the chicken in the pot until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl. Carefully add the potatoes to the same pot and cook until they are golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Very important to make sure chicken and potatoes are browned.

Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the broth, oregano, and thyme. Return the chicken to the pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

Cover and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Arrange the potatoes around chicken. Add the artichoke hearts to the sauce in the pot. Cover and simmer over high heat until the artichokes are tender, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Turn heat to low. Stir in the butter ( the butter is what makes the sauce so good!) Pour the sauce over chicken and potatoes, and serve.

Sounds good Missy.:)

Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese Topping

We had this for breakfast today.  MMMM Good!

Cream cheese

Smoked salmon

Tomatoes

Crackers/bagels/bread

Spread cream cheese on  your choice of  bread, bagels, even cucumber, etc.  Add smoked salmon.  Top with thinly sliced tomatoes.

I used wild sockeye salmon and Wasa sourdough rye.

You can jazz it up with chili sauce, horseradish, red onion, cucumber, fresh dill, etc.

Kat

My husband calls them "Redneck Donuts" and he can eat almost all of them in one sitting ::)

1 can of Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)

Peanut or vegetable oil

Zest from one orange (can omit)

2 cups sugar

1 tsp cinnamon or to taste

Cut each biscuit into quarters, making 32 pieces.  Roll each piece into balls.

Place sugar and cinnamon in large paper bag.

Heat oil (I use peanut oil) in a dutch oven or other large pot (going halfway up sides) to 350 degrees.

Working in batches of 10-12, drop the biscuit balls into the hot oil and cook 6-8 minutes until golden to dark brown.

Remove from oil and immediately drop in paper bag.  Shake them up til coated well and remove to plate.

Repeat until all are cooked.

• 2 months later...

Curry Potato Salad

1 bag of mini potatoes

1/2 lb green beans

1 red onion, chopped

1-2 red/orange peppers, chopped

Dressing...whisk ingredients together well:

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup of maple syrup (a good quality maple syrup is best)

1/3 cider vinegar

1-2 T Dijon mustard

2-3 crushed garlic cloves

1-2 T of curry powder

salt/pepper to taste

Boil potatoes till cooked but firm.  Cook onion till caramelized and add peppers till they are cooked but still firm.  Steam green beans for about 3-5 minutes.  Throw all veggies in bowl and toss w/ dressing...serve warm or cold.  Warm is nicer.  SOOOOOOOO yummy....and healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Dill Pickles

I made these today with cucumbers from our garden.  Hubby likes them even more than I do.

These pickles taste just like the ones my grandma used to make.  They are fermented naturally, and this type of fermentation  is very healthful.

5 pounds small pickling cucumbers

2 quarts water

6 Tbsp. kosher salt

1 large bunch fresh dill seeds and leaves on stalks

2 bulbs garlic cloves separated and peeled

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns

2 tsp. mustard seed (optional)

Soak cucumbers in cold water overnight.

Sterilize a 1 gallon glass or ceramic container. Combine the water and salt in a large pot and bring to a boil.

In the bottom of the sterile container, place several stalks of dill, half of the garlic cloves, 1/2 of mustard seed, and about 1/2 tsp. peppercorns.  Add 1/2 of the cucumbers, then add the remaining dill, garlic, peppercorns and mustard seed. Add remaining cucumbers.  When the brine comes to a boil, pour over cucumbers to cover. Place a small bowl or plate over the top of the pickles to keep them covered. Store in a cool place.

Pickles are ready in about a weeks' time, depending how warm it is.  Once they have fermented to your taste, refrigerate. And enjoy!

My husband calls them "Redneck Donuts" and he can eat almost all of them in one sitting ::)

1 can of Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)

Peanut or vegetable oil

Zest from one orange (can omit)

2 cups sugar

1 tsp cinnamon or to taste

Cut each biscuit into quarters, making 32 pieces.  Roll each piece into balls.

Place sugar and cinnamon in large paper bag.

Oh my gosh Missy - I make these for my kids when they have sleepovers...because my mom made them for me when I had sleepovers...lol...We also put chocolate frosting on them along with cin sugar and powdered sugar. They so good aren't they  :)

Heat oil (I use peanut oil) in a dutch oven or other large pot (going halfway up sides) to 350 degrees.

Working in batches of 10-12, drop the biscuit balls into the hot oil and cook 6-8 minutes until golden to dark brown.

Remove from oil and immediately drop in paper bag.  Shake them up til coated well and remove to plate.

Repeat until all are cooked.

• 4 weeks later...

Toasted Coconut Icebox Cookies

2 c all purpose flour

2 TA orange zest

1/2 ts salt

1 cup unsalted butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 c light brown sugar

l lge egg, room temp

1 ts vanilla

1 cup toasted coconut

6 ou semisweet chocolate

heat oven to 350 degrees and put rack in middle.

Combines flour, zest and salt in large bown and whish until evenly combined.

Beat together butter and sugars until ligt and fluffy, about 2 mins. Add egg and vanilla and mix.

Add the coconut and flourmixture and mix until evenly combined. Lay down 2large pieces of Saran

Wrap and put half of dough mixture on top, wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hr. (make dough into logs)

Cut logs into 1/2 slices and roll in sugar and arrange on baking sheet.

Bake until golden, about 15 mins. (350 degrees)

When cookies are cool, melt the chocolate in microwave or stovetop and dip cookies in bowl of melted

chocolate. Set on cooling rack. Refrigerate for at least 15 mins to set chocolate. ;D

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

glaze:

1  cup ketchup

3/4 c apricot jam

1 TA cider vinegar

1 TA brown sugar

Meatballs:

20 ou gr turkey

8 out crushed pineapple, drained

1 cup bread crumbs

1/2 c finelly chopped onion

1 egg

Mix turkey, pineapple, bread crumbs, onion and egg in bowl, make into meatballs and bake with glaze poured

over them at 350 degrees for 45mins. Turn meatballs over once whole baking.

Serve over noodles or rice.

Does anyone have a recipe for thick cut marmalade?

Crabtree and Evelyn used to sell. it is delicious

Whoopie, I hope you like the coconut cookies :)

Im hoping to make some today.

Veggie Dip

1 8 oz. container sour cream

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup chopped green scallions

1 tsp. tabasco sauce( or more to taste)

Mix all ingredients together . refrigerate 3 or more hours.

Serve with raw vegetables( carrots, broccoli, pepper strips, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes)

I use this for parties all the time.

If you need to ,you can add more milk after it has been in the frig overnite. It thickens up.