Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lets Share recipes!

[as...]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [as...]

• [le...]

• [Ka...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[fd...]

Hey Keryn!! sounds like you like peanutbutter! remember these yummy candies??

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/ashleyrosenbaum84/images.jpg

They are so good! i can only find them at one store around here.. I bet you could find some yummy crazy recipe to crush them up ino!! hehehe :)

:smitten:

Ashley

What is this?? ;)

The Whole Jar of Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup white sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 (18 ounce) jar peanut butter

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped peanuts

Directions

In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, yolks, and vanilla; mix until fluffy. Stir in peanut butter. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture. Finally, stir in the peanuts. Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Roll dough into walnut sized balls. Place on the prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should look dry on top. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to cool completely on a rack. These cookies taste great when slightly undercooked.

I made these cookies only once, about 6-7 years ago, but they are yummy!

I used a bit less sugar, about 1/2 cup less, and as always, whole wheat flour, about  1 3/4 cups.

Love these cookies!

Pumpkin & Chocolate Chips

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 cup white sugar

1 cup light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup canned pumpkin puree

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

2 cups (12-ounce bag) milk chocolate chips, not semisweet

Nonstick cooking spray or parchment paper

Directions

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray or line them with parchment paper.

Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the white and brown sugars, a little at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then mix in the vanilla and pumpkin puree. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds. Stir in the chips. Scoop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are browned around the edges. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let them rest for 2 minutes. Take the cookies off with a spatula and cool them on wire racks.

Double Chocolate Truffles

• 1/3 cup cream

• 14 ounces white chocolate, chopped

• 1 tablespoon butter

• 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

• 1 1/2 cups coconut, toasted and finely ground ( or can use chopped nuts or omit all together)

Directions

Put the white chocolate in a large bowl.

Add the heavy cream to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and warm it over very low heat. Put the white chocolate into a bowl and pour in the hot cream. Whisk until all of the chocolate has melted. Add the butter and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Refrigerate the ganache for about 1 to 2 hours, just enough to be able to form it into balls.

Use a tablespoon or small scoop to measure even amounts of ganache into small balls. Put the balls on a parchment or silicone mat lined sheet tray. Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up before the next step.

Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler (or a microwave). Dip each ball in the melted chocolate (2 forks make it easier to fish out dipped chocolate balls). Put the coconut into a medium bowl and add the ganache balls. Toss to cover them in the coconut, then put them on a wire rack over a parchment lined tray to dry. Allow the truffles to set for about 10 minutes before devouring.

Hazelnut Kiss Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon baking  soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 cup chocolate  hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)

• 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 1/2 cup light brown sugar

• 1 egg 

• 1 teaspoon vanilla  extract

• 1/2 cup orange sprinkles, or orange sugar

• 1 (9-ounce) package of chocolate candy  kisses, unwrapped (recommended: Hershey's)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, place the chocolate hazelnut spread, butter, and both sugars. Using a hand mixer, cream the ingredients together, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and blend until incorporated. Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.

Shape the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls. Rolls the balls in the orange sprinkles or orange sugar, pressing to adhere. Place the cookies on a heavy cookie sheet about 4 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven. Quickly place a chocolate kiss in the middle of each cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another 3 minutes. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.

Hazelnut Bark

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups sugar

• 1 cup water

• 1/2 cup light corn syrup

• 1/3 cup dark corn syrup

• 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts (or, use 1/2 hazelnuts and 1/2 chopped pretzels)

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir the sugar, water, light corn syrup, and dark corn syrup in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and boil without stirring until a candy thermometer registers 260 degrees F, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Mix in the hazelnuts, butter, and salt (the mixture will be thick and nutty), and cook until the thermometer registers 295 degrees F, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Quickly stir in the baking soda. Immediately pour the caramel onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it as thinly as possible. Let stand until hard.

Break the brittle into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature. If desired, serve over your favorite ice cream.

I made this last night and hubs ate 1/2 the pan!!! A little too rich for me, but he loved it.

Mississippi Mud Cake by Emeril Lagasse. 

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 cups sugar

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 pound unsalted butter

• 1/3 cup cocoa powder ( I used dutch processed)

• 1 cup water

• 1/2 cup buttermilk (I used regular, not low fat)

• 2 eggs, lightly beaten

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 8 ounces mini marshmallows

For the frosting:

• 1/4 pound unsalted butter

• 1/3 cup cocoa powder (again, dutch processed)

• 1/2 cup buttermilk

• 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• Pinch salt

• 3/4 cup chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted in pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch cake pan.

For cake :  Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt into a medium mixing bowl.

Put the butter in a small saucepan and, when melted, add the cocoa and water and bring to a boil. Add the boiling cocoa mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the hot cake.

For frosting:  Put the butter in a medium saucepan and, when melted, add the cocoa powder and buttermilk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt and stir until very smooth. Pour the hot icing over the marshmallows on the hot cake and sprinkle with the nuts. Let cool to lukewarm before serving. Cake is best served warm or at room temperature.

[fd...]

I made this last night and hubs ate 1/2 the pan!!! A little too rich for me, but he loved it.

Mississippi Mud Cake by Emeril Lagasse. 

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 cups sugar

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 pound unsalted butter

• 1/3 cup cocoa powder ( I used dutch processed)

• 1 cup water

• 1/2 cup buttermilk (I used regular, not low fat)

• 2 eggs, lightly beaten

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 8 ounces mini marshmallows

For the frosting:

• 1/4 pound unsalted butter

• 1/3 cup cocoa powder (again, dutch processed)

• 1/2 cup buttermilk

• 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar

• Pinch salt

• 3/4 cup chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted in pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch cake pan.

For cake :  Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt into a medium mixing bowl.

Put the butter in a small saucepan and, when melted, add the cocoa and water and bring to a boil. Add the boiling cocoa mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the hot cake.

For frosting:  Put the butter in a medium saucepan and, when melted, add the cocoa powder and buttermilk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt and stir until very smooth. Pour the hot icing over the marshmallows on the hot cake and sprinkle with the nuts. Let cool to lukewarm before serving. Cake is best served warm or at room temperature.

I think I've had this before.. not sure..

Here ya go, Ashley   

Baked French Toast Casserole  

Ingredients

• 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces), or Texas Toast

• 8 large eggs

• 2 cups half-and-half

• 1 cup whole milk

• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• Dash salt

• Praline Topping, recipe follows

• Maple syrup

Directions:

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a hadn mixer or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices, if needed. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40-50 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:

• 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter

• 1 cup packed light brown sugar

• 1 cup chopped pecans

• 2 tablespoons light corn syrup

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Smileys/thbullarsmile.gif

YUMMMMMMMM thanks missy we are greatful for you sharing this!!!!! and you KNOW I'm interested in the fried twinkie and oreo recipes!!! I just read your post on my blog to the hub and he said "ask her to HOOK IT UP!!"  :laugh:

Your should really write your own cookbook or something!! :)

:smitten:

Love

Ashley

Here ya go Ashley:

Fried Oreos by Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 teaspoons baking powder

• 1/8 teaspoon salt

• 1 large egg, lightly beaten

• 3/4 cup milk

• Vegetable oil, for frying

• 20 to 25 cream filled chocolate sandwich cookies (recommended: Oreos)

• Confectioners' sugar, for garnish

Directions

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk. Combine the milk mixture with the flour mixture, stirring just until well blended.

In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, add enough oil to come 1/3 of the way up the sides of the pan, or about 1 1/2 inches deep. Heat oil to 360 degrees F. Dip cookies in batter and carefully place in hot oil. Fry until batter is golden, about 2 minutes. Turn cookies and fry for 1 more minute. Remove and place cookies on a paper towel-lined plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Smileys/iwantcookies.gif

And here's the other one, Ashley.

Deep Fried Twinkies

Ingredients

•  6 Twinkies

•  Popsicle sticks

•  4 cups vegetable oil

•  Flour for dusting

•  1 cup milk

•  2 tablespoons vinegar

•  1 Tablespoon oil

•  1 cup flour

•  1 teaspoon baking powder

•  1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.

2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.

3. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.

4. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.

5. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.

6. Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.

7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.

8. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6.

Variation: Slice Twinkie into 4 pieces. Flour and batter each before frying. With this treatment, one Twinkie will serve two people if accompanied by a sauce.

Berry Sauce

Ingredients

•  1 10-ounce jar of seedless raspberry preserves

•  1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries

Directions

1. In a saucepan, heat preserves over low heat until melted.

2. Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries.

3. Heat until sauce just simmers.

4. Cover; refrigerate until served.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Decorated%20images/MYIDOL.jpg

Ashley and Abby - here's the baked fish recipe.  My husband is not a fish fan like I am, but he loves this.  He calls it "Nemo Nom Nom" :laugh:

Easy Baked FishYou can use any firm white fish; cod, haddock, or grouper work well.  This recipe reminds me of the baked fish I ate as a kid at Luby’s, Furr’s, and other cafeteria style restaurants.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 1 1/2  pounds  grouper or other white fish fillets (I used sea bass)

• 2  tablespoons  fresh lime juice

• 2 tablespoons  mayonnaise

• 1/4  teaspoon  onion powder

• 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper

• ½ - ¾    Panko

• 1 1/2  tablespoons  butter, melted

• 2  tablespoons  chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425°.

Place fish in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray or olive oil.  Combine lime juice, mayonnaise, onion powder, and pepper in a small bowl, and spread over fish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs; drizzle with butter. Bake at 425° for 20 -30minutes depending on thickness or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley.

Notes: I doubled  the mayo mixture.  Adjust the baking time depending on the thickness of the fish.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s360/rhaine1225/nemo.png

Here it is Mike.  In this one, you make your own crust and the recipe is included.  You can use a refrigerated crust like PIllsbury, but you will still need to "blind" bake the crust (see instructions).  I've tried both, but the homemade crust made it much better, imo.

I've tried many SPP recipes (living near the Sweet Potato capital of Vardamon), and this one is the best I've found. It may seem difficult, but really, it's not. ;)

Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients

• 1 recipe Sweet Pie Crust, recipe follows

• 1 egg white, lightly beaten

• 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

• 1/2 cup light brown sugar

• 1/2 cup maple syrup

• 2 teaspoons ground ginger

• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup heavy cream

• 4 large eggs

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch deep pie pan and ease the pastry into the bottom and sides of the pan. Press the dough into the shell and crimp the edges in a decorative pattern. Using the tines of a fork, lightly dock the base of the shell. Place the shell into the oven and bake until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. This is called blind baking the crust.  Remove from the oven and brush the bottom with the egg white. Set aside until ready to use. ( In order to keep the shell from shrinking which it sometimes does, you can lay a piece of tin foil on it and pour dried beans or pie weights on it while it dry bakes - I keep a container of pinto beans around just for this purpose because they can be re-used again and again).

Rub the sweet potatoes with the vegetable oil and roast in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until very tender. Remove and set aside to cool. Peel the potatoes and pass the flesh through a fine mesh sieve using a rubber spatula or use a ricer or a food mill into a medium sized mixing bowl. (You could also just mash them really well, add the maple syrup and blend with a hand mixer, but it won't be as smooth). You should have about 1 1/2 cups of smooth sweet potato puree.

In the medium mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato puree with the sugar, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream with the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the cream and egg mixture to the sweet potato mixture and stir to blend well. Pour the batter into the prepared pie shell and place the pie on a sheet pan (important in case there is spillage). Bake until the center is set and the pie is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove the from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Basic Sweet Potato Pie Crust:

• 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour

• 1 tablespoons sugar

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled

• 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

• 3 tablespoons ice water, or as needed

Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and shortening. Rub the fats between your fingertips and thumbs, or use a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 1 tablespoon at a time, work in enough ice water just until the dough comes together, being careful not to overmix.

Shape into a smooth ball of dough, flatten into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 days.

Yield: 1 pie shell

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Smileys/pie.gif

Ingredients for PepperMINT bark

1 (6 ounce) package white chocolate, chopped

1/3 cup crushed peppermint candies

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 tablespoon shortening

Directions

Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.

Melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, until smooth; 1 to 2 minutes (depending on your microwave). Stir in crushed peppermint candy. Spread evenly in prepared 8x8 pan; refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. Break the bark into bite size pieces.

Melt the semisweet chocolate with the shortening in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Dip bark pieces 3/4 of the way into melted chocolate; shake off excess chocolate. Place on prepared baking sheet; refrigerate until set.

I usually add a tsp of peppermint flavoring. 

Easy, easy, and good especially if you like white chocolate and peppermint with a hint of milk chocolate.    http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sSp_rudolf.gif

Soupie!  This one is easy and you can sub vegetarian broth for the chicken and I use olive oil instead of veggie.  Hope you like it!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

2 (16 ounce) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

2 cups water

1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions

In a large saucepan, heat oil. Cook onion and celery in oil for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, continually stirring. Stir in beans, chicken broth, pepper, thyme and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer for 15 minutes.

With slotted spoon, remove 2 cups of the bean and vegetable mixture from soup and set aside.

In blender at low speed, blend remaining soup in small batches until smooth, (it helps to remove the center piece of the blender lid to allow steam to escape.) Once blended pour soup back into stock pot and stir in reserved beans.

Bring to a boil, occasionally stirring. Stir in spinach and cook 1 minute or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat and serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top.

Christmas Bacon

1 lb. applewood smoked, thick-sliced bacon

1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, or more as needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place a wire cooling rack inside the baking sheet. Arrange the bacon slices on the rack in a single layer so they don't overlap. Pat about 1½ tablespoons of the brown sugar on each slice, covering it entirely. Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is crisp and the brown sugar has caramelized on the slices, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow bacon to cool slightly to harden the sugar coating. Serve warm. Makes about 14 slices.

— From ‘Don Strange of Texas: His Life and Recipes'

This recipe was in our Austin paper last week, and it had a picture with it!  I could not find it online with a picture...but if you could see the picture, you would see why I wanted to post it for ya'll!  I am sure this is deadly...but if you just do it at Christmas, I can see how it would be such a fun thing to serve.  The picture is sitting in front of me right now...it really looks delicious! 

New York Strip or Ribeye Steaks with Green Peppercorn Cognac Sauce

Ingredients

• 4 (6 to 8-ounce) New York strip steaks, 3/4 to 1-inch thick or Ribe Eye steaks

• Kosher salt

• 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed

• 2 tablespoons clarified, unsalted butter

• 3/4 cup beef stock or broth

• 3 tablespoons cognac (or can use brandy)

• 3/4 cup heavy cream

• 1 tablespoon green peppercorns in brine, drained and slightly crushed (if you can only find dried, let soak in warm water 1 hour before using)

Directions

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Sprinkle steaks with kosher salt and crushed black pepper. Heat butter in a 12-inch, heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat.

Once butter is hot, add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 3-5 minutes per side for medium. Remove steaks from pan and place on a rack set on a sheet pan; place in oven to keep warm.

Add the stock to the saute pan and whisk until the crispy bits release from bottom of pan. Allow the liquid to reduce for 3 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Add cognac, heavy cream, and green peppercorns to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking continually, until sauce thickens slightly, just enough to coat the back of a spoon; this will take 5 to 7 minutes.

Season the sauce, to taste, with kosher salt. Place steaks on plates, top with sauce, and serve immediately.

[fd...]

New York Strip or Ribeye Steaks with Green Peppercorn Cognac Sauce

Ingredients

• 4 (6 to 8-ounce) New York strip steaks, 3/4 to 1-inch thick or Ribe Eye steaks

• Kosher salt

• 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed

• 2 tablespoons clarified, unsalted butter

• 3/4 cup beef stock or broth

• 3 tablespoons cognac (or can use brandy)

• 3/4 cup heavy cream

• 1 tablespoon green peppercorns in brine, drained and slightly crushed (if you can only find dried, let soak in warm water 1 hour before using)

Directions

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Sprinkle steaks with kosher salt and crushed black pepper. Heat butter in a 12-inch, heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat.

Once butter is hot, add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 3-5 minutes per side for medium. Remove steaks from pan and place on a rack set on a sheet pan; place in oven to keep warm.

Add the stock to the saute pan and whisk until the crispy bits release from bottom of pan. Allow the liquid to reduce for 3 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Add cognac, heavy cream, and green peppercorns to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking continually, until sauce thickens slightly, just enough to coat the back of a spoon; this will take 5 to 7 minutes.

Season the sauce, to taste, with kosher salt. Place steaks on plates, top with sauce, and serve immediately.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Missy - I think you'll like this one.

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas

Serves 4

This recipe was submitted by Karina Allrich of Karina's Kitchen: Recipes from a Gluten-free Goddess. Here's what Karina has to say about one of her most popular vegetarian, gluten-free recipes: "These wrapped little gems are soft and creamy and a little bit spicy. Serve with crisp greens. Photo shown is family style, rolled in a baking dish. For company, I prefer to nestle these babies into individual gratin dishes. It makes for a prettier presentation."

Ingredients

Quickie Green Chile Sauce

1 cup light gluten-free vegetable broth

1 tablespoon arrowroot starch dissolved in a little cold water

1 generous cup chopped roasted green chiles, hot or mild

2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon cumin or chili powder, hot or mild, to taste

Enchilada Filling

1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, rinsed, drained

4 cloves garlic, minced

Fresh lime juice from 1 big juicy lime

2 heaping cups cooked diced sweet potatoes

1/2 cup chopped roasted mild green chiles

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon chili powder mild or spicy

Sea salt and black pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Assembly

2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, as needed

8 white or yellow corn tortillas

4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Method

Preheat your oven to 350°F. Choose a baking dish that would hold 8 rolled enchiladas. Make your Quickie Green Chile Sauce by combining the broth, dissolved arrowroot, green chiles, garlic and spices in a sauce pan and heating over medium-high heat. Bring to a high simmer. Simmer until thickened. Taste test and adjust seasonings. Set aside.

In the meantime, for the Enchilada Filling, using a mixing bowl, combine the drained black beans with minced garlic and lime juice. Toss to coat the beans and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the cooked sweet potatoes with the chopped green chiles; add the spices. Season with sea salt and pepper.

Pour about 1/4 cup of the Quickie Green Chile Sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.

To assemble the enchiladas, grab a skillet and heat a dash of oil. Lightly cook the corn tortillas to soften them, one at a time, as you stuff each one.

Lay the first hot tortilla in the sauced baking dish; wet it with the sauce. Spoon 1/8 of the sweet potato mixture down the center. Top with 1/8 of the black beans. Wrap and roll the tortilla to the end of the baking dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Top with the rest of the sauce. Top with a sprinkle of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the enchiladas are piping hot and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.

Nutrition

Per serving (about 14oz/405g-wt.): 500 calories (190 from fat), 21g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 980mg sodium, 64g total carbohydrate (11g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 18g protein

Tags: Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian

I've never combined sweet potatoes with black beans as an enchilada.  This should be interesting!

Have you tried it?  Do you like it?  Wondering if I could use my own green chile sauce with it....