Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

puffy legs, weird symptom???

[vi...]

it has been going on for about 6 weeks. the top of my socks

(no matter how tight or loose) - at mid-calf - leave an

indentation and above it my flesh is all puffy. don't

know if it is water retention, clogged lympathics. it looks

as if i've tied rope tightly around my leg but not so. i just wore

a pair of boots, not tight on the calf. same thing.

it's also happening around the waistband of pants, so i have

these bulges above and below the elastic......and they are

not even tight.

anybody have anything like this? this is one of my stranger s/x. violet.

Yes, I have this!  You're the first person I've found other than myself who has it.

I've not a clue what to do about it other than to watch out for sodium intake, but even that does not really help.  Maybe others will see this and go "Hey!  I have that , too!" and weigh in. ;)

I endured the edema of both legs during and after withdrawals.  My heart and kidneys checked out fine.  The doctors were baffled but I did realize it is a symptom mentioned in the Asthton Manual.  Both legs were affected but more so in my left leg.  The edema would last several days and then completely go away for a week or two.

Patty  xo

"""Saw my "lady doctor" today and he assured me it was water retention, due to hormone imbalance - I told him I never had hormonal imbalances or bloating prior to benzo use and he assured me that it is a side effect, and hopefully it will go away for me once I'm off of it. He also mentioned my water retaining hormones could be playing a role, as well as cortisol. He did prescribe me Spironolactone, a special kind of diuretic ...but I'm not sure if I want to take it. My normal weight is about 100lbs, give or take a few...I'm up to 117lbs, since benzos. 5'1". I don't like it!

I am going to have my kidneys and cortisol checked just to be 100% sure tho."""

thanks missy and patti... i just googled 'benzo w/d edema' and came up with the above.

it makes sense. same thing going on around my abdomen. at least it's not painful and

no doubt will go away eventually. v.

still would like hearing from anyone else who has this.....thx

Hi Violet,

Are you drinking enough water?  I've heard that if we don't drink enough water it can cause water retention as the body goes into water conservation mode.  This may be totally irrelevant in your case.....just a thought.

Love,

Diana

thanks diana,

i was thinking about that today.

i heard the same thing recently (about the body hanging on to water

when there's not enough)....i drink a LOT of water...still,  maybe my water

needs are greater than ever and i need even more. will do so. vi.

Hello Violet,

I saw your question and put some information that might be helpful. This was the most I was able to find regarding endocrine system and swollen body tissue.

I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

"The Ashton Manual" by Heather Ashton, 2002

Endocrine problems. Benzodiazepines undoubtedly have effects on the endocrine system, but these have not been closely studied in humans, either during long-term benzodiazepine use or in withdrawal. Many women complain of menstrual problems but these are common in the general population and there is not clear evidence that they are directly attributable to benzodiazepines. A proportion of female long-term benzodiazepine users have hysterectomies, but again there is no evidence of a direct link with benzodiazepine use. Occasionally both men and women on benzodiazepines complain of swelling or engorgement and it is possible that benzodiazepines affect secretion of the hormone prolactin. Endocrine symptoms that are due to benzodiazepines improve after withdrawal.”

“Benzo-Wise, A Recovery Companion” by Baylissa Frederick, 2009

Symptoms A to Z

Oedema/Water retention: fluid in body tissues, swollen feet, puffiness

Water retention/Oedema: fluid in body tissues, swollen feet, puffiness

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

summer

thankyou so much!

prolactin, or lack thereof. well, perhaps that's it.

i appreciate the way you research for your friends, love, v.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Jo...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [ra...]
    • [2c...]
    • [an...]
    • [bi...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [El...]