Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Conversion disorder

[id...]

Someone suggested that I developed a conversion disorder. I am guessing it's kind of a new and improved "hysteria" kind of "disorder", but with neurological flare to it. Basically it's a "we don't know what's going on but we don't believe in protracted benzo withdrawal" disorder.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/conversion-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20355197

I don't know, I can see strong emotions causing strange body reactions. After all it IS all in our head, because that's where the brain with all those chemicals and neuro-transmitters is.

I just thought it was a "fun" disorder to read about to realize that psychiatry is still in the Dark Age.

Yes, psychiatry is still in Dark Age! I just read Siri Hustvedt's book ' Shaking Woman' and it well described the subject. She got all kind of strange diagnosis and was prescribed benzos due to unknown shaking attacks. Good book to read in case you want to know more about the subject.

I was diagnosed with conversion disorder for severe pain, burning, tingling in my feet that could not be diagnosed by any physical test of the dozens I had, including all sorts of treatments from creams to pain pills to seizure medications.  Xanax was the only thing that dulled it.  And it also dulled everything else.  So here I am 2 months off xanax and it's not any better or worse, but I have found I can live with it.  My psych doc said its a physical manifestation of a mental issue.  Mine being severe PTSD from something that happened 20 yrs ago.  So why did it manifest only 4 years ago?  No one can answer that question either.

It's all 'psych' talk, unless it can be tested, measured or verified scientifically, I don't believe it.  It's mere opinion and speculation, and a very dangerous territory.  It's one person's opinion that's caught on, that's all.  I wouldn't give any deference to it whatsoever, too murky.

It's bollocks!

There is absolutely no proof for a mechanism for it.

My neuro has recently said 'Functional Somatic Symptoms' which is the same thing.

After years with ME/CFS I am well aware of the debates and politics around these labels and the way that medicine has been infiltrated by a bunch of shrinks who have vested interests in labelling people as such because they also work for insurance companies that don't pay out on such things.

It is a huge rag bag in which to place people with what are also cslled MUPS (Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms) and that is fine. If science hasn't worked something out then it is unexplained but there is a tendancy on the part of medicine yo make the jump from unexplained to psychsomatic. So MUPS are considered psychological and synonymous with Conversion Disorder to 'Somatic' symptoms.

The language of it annoys me 'psychsomatic' simply means 'mindbody'. It gives no indication of csusation. What they actually mean is 'psychogenic'  and there is no clear evidence for it. When they say 'Somatic' symptoms all they are saying is 'Body' symptoms - again they mean 'psychgenic'

If you look back at where it comes from even Charcot (precursor of Freud) thought 'Hysteria' or 'Shell Shock' were neurological disorders and manynof Freuds 'Hysterical' patients are now thought to have had things like epilepsy etc.

Sorry for the rant butvthis stuff has plagued people with ME/CFS for decades and hampered proper scientific funding and research. Many people are dead because of it.