Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What to watch on Netflix?

[ma...]

I love English history series, I'm watching Last Kingdom right now.  Really good.

English history! 👍👍👍 😊

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [ma...]

• [or...]

• [Th...]

I love English history series, I'm watching Last Kingdom right now.  Really good.

English history! 👍👍👍 😊

:laugh: :laugh:love it, I don't know why....

Most tv series are too violent or depressing for me.  I loved Lark Rise to Candleford set in Victorian England.  The Duchess of Duke Street is also good.  I'm watching Call the Midwife and Land Girls now.  Does anyone know of others like these?

gardenlady I loved this, too!

I loved Lark Rise to Candleford

Along those lines is The House of Elliott, Cranford (and Return to Cranford), The Paradise, Mr. Selfridge, Home Fires and a bunch I can't remember.

Here's a website that lists many, many, BBC dramas in various time periods: Victorian, Georgian, interwar, war. You can sign up for their newsletter or just visit the site. It's called Willow and Thatch:

http://www.willowandthatch.com/

Nice to meet someone whose tastes are like mine!!

Katz

Most tv series are too violent or depressing for me.  I loved Lark Rise to Candleford set in Victorian England.  The Duchess of Duke Street is also good.  I'm watching Call the Midwife and Land Girls now.  Does anyone know of others like these?

Poldark on Masterpiece is great and the man actor is gorgeous, uh yes, gorgeous  :laugh: great show, very little violence :)

Edit: Fixed quote box

Then if you want to watch something violent but the best looking man on t v. Watch Hell on Wheels.  Good show and you might not notice a w/d or 2 just watching him. :D

gardenlady I loved this, too!

I loved Lark Rise to Candleford

Along those lines is The House of Elliott, Cranford (and Return to Cranford), The Paradise, Mr. Selfridge, Home Fires and a bunch I can't remember.

Here's a website that lists many, many, BBC dramas in various time periods: Victorian, Georgian, interwar, war. You can sign up for their newsletter or just visit the site. It's called Willow and Thatch:

http://www.willowandthatch.com/

Nice to meet someone whose tastes are like mine!!

Katz

Thanks, oregon!  I've seen all the ones you listed, as well as Poldark (couldn't stay with it).  I'm also familiar with Willow & Thatch....it's a great site!  I guess I've watched everything there is along those lines.  I was hoping someone would know of others I hadn't seen. 

I can't take violence of any sort...wars, battles, fighting, etc....all too depressing. Regardless of who the actors are.  I wish All Creatures Great and Small was still available to stream. It was the BEST!!

I don't have a DVD player and don't want to buy or rent as I already pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Highly recommend Queer Eye, Black Mirror, & Dear Zachery.

Black Mirror is fantastic!

I’ve just started watching ‘Wild Wild World’ - documentary about the the Orange People cult/religion.

There was a great drama doc about a guy who was given LSD by the CIA but can’t remember what it was called.

Binge watching "The Office" helped me through a good bit of the accute phase of withdrawal. The Crown is also good. For those who have access to HBO, do yourself a huge favor and watch season 1 of "True Detective".

I'm still too sensitive to watch office related things as I left my 9-5 job recently :) But True Detective seems promising. I don't subscribe to HBO but I'll investigate how to do it, thank you for the suggestion.

Yeah, if nothing else watch a few of the trailers for it. It's dark, intriguing and very, very well written. The plot is so deep and the two main actors compliment each other very well. I personally think it's probably the best thing I've ever watched on TV.

I agree, the first season of true detective is the best show i've ever seen.  :thumbsup:

Edit: Fixed quote box

On Hulu The Handmaid's Tale is terrific. Last year I binged watched the series. Tomorrow season 2 starts and I can't wait to watch it. There is a free trial going on I believe so it can be watched for free. I signed up just to watch it. Elizabeth Moss is great in this series.

Becky  :smitten:

I'm watching Call the Midwife...it takes place in the 50's & 60's in London's east end and features stories of people in need helped by the midwives....mostly pregnant women.  Very heartwarming.

I'm still looking for series anyone can recommend that are positive, edifying and uplifting.  I don't like violence, wars, fighting, detective stories or science-fiction.....too dark, depressing and disturbing. 

I'm watching Call the Midwife...it takes place in the 50's & 60's in London's east end and features stories of people in need helped by the midwives....mostly pregnant women.  Very heartwarming.

I'm still looking for series anyone can recommend that are positive, edifying and uplifting.  I don't like violence, wars, fighting, detective stories or science-fiction.....too dark, depressing and disturbing.

Anne of Green Gables was pretty sweet... Netflix, I think.  One season.

garden lady, what about that old BBC vet series All Creatures Great And Small? As I recall they were pretty violence-free.

Challis, Thanks for reminding me about Ann of Green Gables!  I've always thought it was targeted for children, but is it also good for adults....kind of like Little House on the Prairie or Little Women?

oregon, I absolutely ADORED All Creatures Great and Small.....the best tv series ever produced in my opinion.  However, it's no longer available for streaming anywhere that I can find....it's not on Amazon Prime or Netflix.  Too bad, cause I would watch it over and over if I could!!  Do you know of anything else in that genre??

garden lady, I just checked and 1 season of ACGAS is available at Netflix.

I just remembered a series (7 seasons!) you might like. It's on Netflix . . . called Ballykissangel. It's a BBC production, I think. Anyway, it's about life in a small Irish village. Here's the blurb:

Set in the quaint village of Ballykissangel in Ireland, this quirkily comic BBC television drama adds new meaning to the term "local color" as transplanted man of the cloth Father Peter Clifford learns how to live among his peculiar new neighbors. But his errant flock doesn't seek out his wisdom solely for spiritual matters -- sometimes they just need him to weigh in on their worldly problems and curiosities

Oh and another BBC offering, also on Netflix -- Monarch of the Glen. Also 7 seasons. Here's its blurb:

Summoned back to his childhood home in the Scottish Highlands, London restaurateur Archie (Alastair Mackenzie) assumes his role as the Laird of Glenbogle and sets out to restore the financially troubled estate back to prominence with help from his family and loyal staff.

My partner and I loved both of them and watched Monarch twice!!

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Katz

Me again, gardenlady. I have post-benzo brain, sorry. Can't get all my thoughts together at one time. Here's another BBC series I loved : To Serve Them All My Days. I'm a former teacher, so I really, really liked this. The Netflix blurb:

In this classic BBC drama based on the novel by R. F. Delderfield, shell-shocked WWI veteran David Powlett-Jones (John Duttine) goes from the trenches of war to the trenches of education when he lands a job teaching history at an elite boarding school. Scholastic life transforms him from cynic to an idealist loved by his students.

garden lady, I just checked and 1 season of ACGAS is available at Netflix.

I just remembered a series (7 seasons!) you might like. It's on Netflix . . . called Ballykissangel. It's a BBC production, I think. Anyway, it's about life in a small Irish village. Here's the blurb:

Set in the quaint village of Ballykissangel in Ireland, this quirkily comic BBC television drama adds new meaning to the term "local color" as transplanted man of the cloth Father Peter Clifford learns how to live among his peculiar new neighbors. But his errant flock doesn't seek out his wisdom solely for spiritual matters -- sometimes they just need him to weigh in on their worldly problems and curiosities

Oh and another BBC offering, also on Netflix -- Monarch of the Glen. Also 7 seasons. Here's its blurb:

Summoned back to his childhood home in the Scottish Highlands, London restaurateur Archie (Alastair Mackenzie) assumes his role as the Laird of Glenbogle and sets out to restore the financially troubled estate back to prominence with help from his family and loyal staff.

My partner and I loved both of them and watched Monarch twice!!

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Katz

Katz, Thanks for the recommendations, but dang it, neither show is any longer on Amazon Prime or Netflix!  It seems that they always retire the best shows!  It looks like To Serve Them All My Days is also missing on Netflix.  Let me know if you find it....I did a search for it on the site and it came up empty.

Unfortunately, many of the movies and series suggested here are not available on netflix where I live :( So, I'm thinking of getting a VPN service to be able to get access to the US or UK provider. Has anyone tried it? How did it go?

[0f...]

Unfortunately, many of the movies and series suggested here are not available on netflix where I live :( So, I'm thinking of getting a VPN service to be able to get access to the US or UK provider. Has anyone tried it? How did it go?

I know a pilot with a Netflix/USA account who uses VPN to access series wherever he flies. I don’t think it’s sketchy because it’s his account, it just changes the line-up. Netflix doesn’t block him from using the VPN to get European stuff in America either.