Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise, the Best Medicine

[Rr...]

During my taper I stayed in bed quite a bit.  During my withdrawal/protracted withdrawal, there wasn't much I could do either.  After seeing a couple full mirrors I realized I gained weight.  After being off benzos for months and upset with weight I decided I will exercise to jump start my metabolism.  I have been exercising for just over a week and my anxiety and depression has improved somewhat.  When I get anxious I feel like taking a walk.  I wish I had started exercising daily months ago.  I downloaded an exercise app and have a motivational screensaver on phone.  I feel good about the changes I made.

[b9...]

Excellent!

There's data to support that long work-outs actually make people calmer.  I've been doing a lot of cycling this year, and it's definitely making me calmer (and thinner). 

I found a cool app called Map My Walk.  It shows me how far I

go and how long I've been walking.  Today was 2.7 mi.  It's not that far.  I was pushing a stroller.  My route is not a flat surface.

I cannot wait for the day I can go for a jog or a sprint and get that feeling again.

I put it off now because I am not sleeping and my mind tells me I need that to be able to recover. Last jog I went on was last year, during my last withdrawal and my heart rate was just flopping and skipping beats. Since then, I've been afraid to get it going high.

Thinking of getting a treadmill when (IF) things settle, sleep mainly, and will start off slow.

I could probably go for walks but I'm just stuck in the early stage of withdrawal. It currently has too much of my daily focus. It'll shift one day. I've do go for walks when I feel anxiety building though and it works really well.

U should feel good about it, u should feel great ;). I want to exercise so badly but my back and neck muscles are hurting so badly I am afraid to try.  I am afraid I will make it worse.  Were u having any problems when u started?

[b9...]

U should feel good about it, u should feel great ;). I want to exercise so badly but my back and neck muscles are hurting so badly I am afraid to try.  I am afraid I will make it worse.  Were u having any problems when u started?

Starting up - especially if you've laid around for months - can be kind of challenging.  The normal muscle aches and pains seem much worse than usual.  So go really easy when starting out. 

The benzo has been out of my system for months.  The only issue I had was the wind and the little one throwing a fit when the stroller stops.  I still have issues with anxiety and irritability, from time to time.  I plan to start working soon.  I have been upset about staying home.  I am not the stay at home mom type.

The weight loss does not happen fast enough.  I will keep exercising, but I am not happy with what I see.  I didn't care what I ate during taper and withdrawal.  This is not me. 

The weight loss does not happen fast enough.  I will keep exercising, but I am not happy with what I see.  I didn't care what I ate during taper and withdrawal.  This is not me.

It will come around if you keep at it.  But it takes awhile.  Just keep at it.

I think if you add weights and do yoga (if you can do that) along with walking, the weight will come off. I've been walking for years in this benzo mess, and it's a great exercise, but I really liked adding weights and yoga. I can't seem to do the weights and yoga now.