Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I'm going to have to get rid of my cat.

[Mi...]

He stopped using his litter box to pee in. Started using the carpet outside his box. I didn't change to a new litter or anything. He just started this habit and I can't figure it out  :-\ I think it's my fault. I wasn't feeling well last month and let things go, and didn't get him fresh litter all month. he's been a friend to me through all this, I'd hate to lose him.

Any cat people here that have any ideas? I need to get him to start using the box soon or he has to go  :'(

That sounds really frustrating and I know how hard it is to keep up with regular chose like this when you're not feeling well. But it also sounds like a solvable problem - what have you tried to do to help your cat begin using the litter box again? I have to be honest, if some litter box issues make you jump to the conclusion that you will have to get rid of your cat (especially if you haven't tried much to minimize the problem yet), it sounds like it may not have been a good idea for you to adopt an animal in the first place.

I would try being extra diligent about changing the litter - more than once a day. Could you buy a tarp to put over the area he's peeing on to change the texture of the area? That might help discourage him. He's probably somewhat averse to using the litter box since it wasn't cleaned up properly, so perhaps a new box and/or brand of cat litter actually could be helpful here. 

This article had a lot of other great ideas: https://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Cats-from-Urinating-on-Carpet

I like the tarp idea. I cleaned the area very well. Today after his last incident I even pulled out the carpet cleaning vacuum and got the whole room, and really got the area he's been peeing. Maybe like your article said he keeps using the same spot because he can still smell his pee. The carpet cleaner will take care of that hopefully. I've tried being tough and rubbing his nose in it and slapping his butt. I've had him over a year and never had a problem. But I recently switched to 100% nigh shift for less stress, when I used to only do two nights per week. So maybe he's mad? My parents offered to take care of him while I'm not feeling well since I can barely take care of myself, but I'd hate to not have him around he makes me happy. He uses it to poo but just will not pee in it!

[91...]

Try letting him stay at your parents’ for awhile so that he can get in the habit of peeing in the box again. Also, he’ll be where someone can keep his pan clean until you’re feeling better and can manage.

Then soak the area in white vinegar and clean with the vacuum again.

Carpet cleaners only add perfume, whereas white vinegar really obliterates pee smells.

By the way, he’s neutered, right? If not, that may be a problem right there.

Try letting him stay at your parents’ for awhile so that he can get in the habit of peeing in the box again. Also, he’ll be where someone can keep his pan clean until you’re feeling better and can manage.

Then soak the area in white vinegar and clean with the vacuum again.

Carpet cleaners only add perfume, whereas white vinegar really obliterates pee smells.

By the way, he’s neutered, right? If not, that may be a problem right there.

I may have to let them take care of him to get him back in the habit that's a good idea. I can vinegar the place by the time he comes home. I'm sure I can put white vinegar in the carpet cleaner where I'd usually add the cleaning solution. And yes I got him neutered when I got him.

Maybe like your article said he keeps using the same spot because he can still smell his pee. The carpet cleaner will take care of that hopefully.

He can still smell his pee. Trust me, he can. I am on the Board of our local Humane Society and we see this problem often. You will never get rid of the pee smell unless you use an enzyme cleaner like Kids & Pets. Go to a pet store or order online. Vinegar will not do it.

As for "rubbing his nose in it" shame on you. You are teaching him nothing but to be afraid of you AND to be wary of the litterbox. Really.

Perhaps you ought to be catless. But if you decide to do so, for heaven's sake, take him to the local shelter where they can find a decent home for him.

If I sound angry, I am.

I, too, went through a rotten taper and was sick as a dog, but I managed to keep my cat's litterpan clean. It's part of the bargain we make with pets when we share our homes with them.

I hope you do the right thing for this cat.

I have a cat, too.  I clean her litterbox religiously on daily basis, even when withdrawal makes me sick.  It's a drag sometimes, but I just put my head down and plow through it.  I took her to live with me, and she deserves to live in a sanitary environment, as do I.  I love my cat.

Maybe like your article said he keeps using the same spot because he can still smell his pee. The carpet cleaner will take care of that hopefully.

He can still smell his pee. Trust me, he can. I am on the Board of our local Humane Society and we see this problem often. You will never get rid of the pee smell unless you use an enzyme cleaner like Kids & Pets. Go to a pet store or order online. Vinegar will not do it.

As for "rubbing his nose in it" shame on you. You are teaching him nothing but to be afraid of you AND to be wary of the litterbox. Really.

Perhaps you ought to be catless. But if you decide to do so, for heaven's sake, take him to the local shelter where they can find a decent home for him.

If I sound angry, I am.

I, too, went through a rotten taper and was sick as a dog, but I managed to keep my cat's litterpan clean. It's part of the bargain we make with pets when we share our homes with them.

Thank you for the advice I don't mean to make you angry. I love my cat. I even chipped him because I don't want him to get lost. He has his own room with all the toys he wants and a table with a bed he can look out the window at the birds. I just had a rough month and couldn't go out much as work was draining me and he didn't get fresh litter. I still scooped it every day. I do feel bad like its my fault, so maybe I should just let my parents take care of him for a while until I'm healed. But I thank you for the feedback. I don't want to make him scared of the box I just didn't know what to do. I will try the enzyme cleaner and maybe New toys to make him happy. If that doesn't work this week I'll let my parents take care of him for a while.

You gave your cat a home and he loves you unconditionally. I got most support from my Kitty during my benzo taper. Even when I left the bed only to clean her litter, to give her food and water. I did. I sometimes almost crawled out of bed to do it.

By punishing him, you make him even more stressed. If you absolutely cannot cope, let your parents take care of him for a while. But I think it’s essential that you take responsibility for him and his well-being. It should come first. By focusing more on your cat, you become less preoccupied with your own problems.

There is this stain remover I use when my Kitty has such incidents. You’ve got to read the instruction for use carefully. Your cat’s behavior is probably stress-related. Though sometimes it may be the kidneys. Good to rule that out. To calm down your cat, you may buy this spray. Works great for my Kitty.

You can find a good online shop with home delivery, so you won’t need to buy the litter outside. I think it’s an important challenge during your taper to take proper care of your cat. And to make sure he feels happy and loved. I guarantee you a 100% return on the energy you invest in helping your feline companion :thumbsup:

What oregonkatz said. Also do you have a place in your home that is not carpeted where you can put a litter box? Maybe having more than one litter box would be a good idea, possibly 3? Try different litter in one of them. Try different size or type of litter box. Sometimes cats change their preferences, or stop using the box due to stress. You could put something else where the litter box was that covers the area he was peeing on. 

He might have gotten the association of his litter box = stench, thus avoiding it.

If there is a cover, I would take it off permanently, so that he does not feel trapped in a stinky environment again, cats don't like that.

You could try and clean the bottom part really well, fill it up with fresh litter and place it in the spot where he is currently peeing. Other than that, just ignore any accidents outside the litter box for now, in order to reduce the stress on your cat.

The more stress, the more peeing around in the house.

If it goes well and he starts using the box again, then you can move it back gradually over a few days. Hope this helps.