Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Any Gamer? (single/multiplayer)

[Co...]

I mostly play single player games now. I use to play a lot of multiplayer, but I don’t know if it’s because I’m older or if other people have just become bigger assholes? I just can’t stand the 12 year griefers all over the place anymore.

I tried getting into Witcher 1 & 2 it just never clicked with me. I know people love that game though. Mostly play the Fallout games. Far Cry 3 was one of my favorites. The Hitman series is awesome. It’s very much a mix goal oriented puzzles and FPS.

Yeah flaming in online games is aweful...in League Of Legends sometimes I mute everybody at the beginning of a game  :laugh:

I started Hitman and never finished it because I changed console.

Other games that I've liked were Assassin's Creed and the new Tomb Raider 8)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [ph...]

• [Ov...]

• [Mi...]

To show my age, the first game I played on-line multi-player was "Half-Life" back in the late 90's. I had just gotten high speed Internet and thought it coulnd't get any better.

To show my age, the first game I played on-line multi-player was "Half-Life" back in the late 90's. I had just gotten high speed Internet and thought it coulnd't get any better.

Same here. That was probably the first online game I played too. I really got into the Day of Defeat mod and Team Fortress before they ruined it.  I use to play games on the Commodore 64 if you really want some age!  ;D I use to get magazines that you could hand type all the game code in to play them.  :crazy:

Same here. That was probably the first online game I played too. I really got into the Day of Defeat mod and Team Fortress before they ruined it.  I use to play games on the Commodore 64 if you really want some age!  ;D I use to get magazines that you could hand type all the game code in to play them.  :crazy:

Yup. I had a Commadore 64 and remember waking up early to play it before school. I recall loading those damn floppy disks in, typing long command lines and waiting forever to load a game like......Frogger. Or Donkey Kong.  Geez. Those were the days. Not a care in the world, riding bikes around the neighborhood until the street lights came on.

Oh man. C64 games. Bard's Tale, Starflight. Pirates! Gold, btw, is a very good remaster of the original game.

Warfram is a surprisingly well designed game that's basically "What if Destiny, but done right", though as an MMO it's a bit grindy.

I'm catching up on the Guildwars2 storylines - the story in that game is pretty boss, shame about the MMO part.

I'm pretty hype about Frostpunk & Metro Exodus.

For those with a PS4 checkout the online store sometime, they have ridiculous sales on older games of many genres from JRPGs to the Yakuza series.

I'm hoping that bethesda hands off Fallout to a studio like Arkane 'cause 4 was.....it had some issues that really could have been fixed with a narrative designer and a few modders over a month or so. The core gameplay is solid, but they never committed.

I know everyone wants Obsidian to do another Fallout, but honestly I'm willing to let some other studio try to do way too much, and Obsidian is busy with a few other games.

Did anyone play Bloodlines in the past? Paradox Interactive's owner purchased the World of Darkness IP and the White Wolf brand from CCP and plans on farming games out to various companies. There's the hitch that they want to wait to get the table top game "back in print" (Narrator Voice: It's never been out of print, Onyx Path licensed the Table top rights from CCP & has been putting out new products plus Print on Demand versions of the entire back catalog since the owner got laid off from CCP) so we're having to wait a few extra years.

I'm looking forward to Vampyre, and Monster Hunter World when it comes out on PC - me and my friends used to have old school LAN party style gatherings with our 3DSs and just hunt monsters together.

Yeah, man I still love those C64 games. Beachead, Mission Impossible, California Games. I had a tape drive that I could never get to work. I’ve run some of them now on emulators. I think Lemon 64 may still be around. They have a ton of game ROMs. I really liked Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders and Maniac Mansion. I played a lot of the word adventure games too.

So many games and such little time!

I have a regular day job and then I freelance on the side. So I try to squeeze in a little here and there when I can.

Corwell, good idea in the mute. I do miss the way online games use to have more commaraderie. People could still be jerks and really salty at times, but it seemed more like a community. Again probably justin my age. (Shakes fist at kids on the lawn) :laugh:

[76...]
Skyrim arrived last night (a b-day gift from my daughter and her boyfriend).  Dare I install and start it?  If I do, I'll probably be awake until 5 am.  I need to retire so I have some time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Skyrim arrived last night (a b-day gift from my daughter and her boyfriend).  Dare I install and start it?  If I do, I'll probably be awake until 5 am.  I need to retire so I have some time.

HAHAHA, OMG this exactly happened to me last night. My buddy just sold me his Xbox One; downloaded Skyrim SE when I got home last night and was up til 4:30am playing it  :D (I hate the eye stuttering of that smiley, but it was prob how I was acting last night playing the game, lol!) I had a pretty crappy week with a bunch of work-related rejections for proposals and such that I'd put in. In the past, prob would have numbed myself out with booze and pills, so having Skyrim as a bit of an escape was a nice alternative. Allowed me to re-evaluate my work situation from a less reactive emotional state - cause I got all that out bashing bandits with my Skyrim character, haha!  :thumbsup:

Shooting games aren't really my forte...Only ones that I've played are Mass Effect, Fallout 3-4 and Far Cry 3  ;D

All of the ones I've mentioned aren't pure shooting games

Fallout 3 and the Mass Effect series (and the original Knights of the Old Republic, which I feel like is the spiritual predecessor of the Mass Effect franchise) are favs of mine. How did you like Fallout 4? I've heard some kind of negative things in regard to it being much more linear and 'locked-in' than all previous Fallout games, but haven't really read much further about it.

[76...]
I haven't been able to play it yet.  Even though we bought the CD, the game installs into Steam, and I can't use my laptop with Steam (I'm on a Mac running VM Fusion, and Steam turned off support for virtual machines a couple of years ago.  Very frustrating, and zero tech support available.  So I'm either buying a PC laptop (which I really don't want), or I'm buying an X-Box (which will take some negotiating with the wife).

Fallout 3 and the Mass Effect series (and the original Knights of the Old Republic, which I feel like is the spiritual predecessor of the Mass Effect franchise) are favs of mine. How did you like Fallout 4? I've heard some kind of negative things in regard to it being much more linear and 'locked-in' than all previous Fallout games, but haven't really read much further about it.

Fallout 4 has a large number of good ideas & technical advances wrapped up with some of the laziest quest design & writing that makes Skyrim look like The Tempest. The changes to the dialogue tree and only having 4 answers were also constraining and the writing team wasn't up to the task of not making it real obvious how constrained it was.

Additionally in old FO games you could tell people to piss right off and the quest would never be accepted or just end in failure. Now even if you tell them to piss off you get the quest anyway.

The changes to character design are, honestly, appropriate. They're a good idea. But they're also mostly really bad in execution.

An example of why they were a good change - Lockpicking didn't do anything outside of the breaks for Novice/Normal/Hard etc, and most of the skills really weren't doing anything other than breakpoints. Tying things to a stat+perk and using perks for level up isn't a bad idea when you realize how quests designers were actually using the old engine. But the execution, man, the execution was just sub-par on a number of the perks.

For example - The linear weapons increase perks are not created equal and break, for lack of a better term, the other weapons. The single shot rifle perk increasingly ignores armor in addition to increasing damage. This basically makes a starter semi-auto rifle competitive with late game equipment. It goes on from there.

The locked in choices on main story progression are JRPGish because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to write the consequences of all the different combinations even those those mutually exclusive choices are nonsensical.

The equipment customization and UI are great, base building is fun (ish) but needed to do more or needed to get dropped.

The customization needed more to do, and honestly they should have brought back the DR/DT divide from the original games.

Just..the whole game needed another pass and a serious resource boost to the narrative team.

I'd really like to see what the new engine can do in capable hands, much like New Vegas showed what the FO3 engine could do when pushed to the limits by Obsidian.

That being said, FO4 has a few of my favorite Fallout quests, so it has its moments.

Fallout 4 has a large number of good ideas & technical advances wrapped up with some of the laziest quest design & writing that makes Skyrim look like The Tempest. The changes to the dialogue tree and only having 4 answers were also constraining and the writing team wasn't up to the task of not making it real obvious how constrained it was.

Additionally in old FO games you could tell people to piss right off and the quest would never be accepted or just end in failure. Now even if you tell them to piss off you get the quest anyway.

The changes to character design are, honestly, appropriate. They're a good idea. But they're also mostly really bad in execution.

An example of why they were a good change - Lockpicking didn't do anything outside of the breaks for Novice/Normal/Hard etc, and most of the skills really weren't doing anything other than breakpoints. Tying things to a stat+perk and using perks for level up isn't a bad idea when you realize how quests designers were actually using the old engine. But the execution, man, the execution was just sub-par on a number of the perks.

For example - The linear weapons increase perks are not created equal and break, for lack of a better term, the other weapons. The single shot rifle perk increasingly ignores armor in addition to increasing damage. This basically makes a starter semi-auto rifle competitive with late game equipment. It goes on from there.

The locked in choices on main story progression are JRPGish because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to write the consequences of all the different combinations even those those mutually exclusive choices are nonsensical.

The equipment customization and UI are great, base building is fun (ish) but needed to do more or needed to get dropped.

The customization needed more to do, and honestly they should have brought back the DR/DT divide from the original games.

Just..the whole game needed another pass and a serious resource boost to the narrative team.

I'd really like to see what the new engine can do in capable hands, much like New Vegas showed what the FO3 engine could do when pushed to the limits by Obsidian.

That being said, FO4 has a few of my favorite Fallout quests, so it has its moments.

He got the question covered  :laugh:

I liked it just like FO3 even a bit more because of the managing of camps, scavenging and crafting (I really love these types of games).

I never played New Vegas and I read very good things about it...it's on my list 8)

The Elder Scrolls series is the best adventure/RPG I'm. Morrowind is my favorite and then Skyrim.

Farcry Primal was fun. The Witcher 3 has a long story and is a great game. Assassins Creed black flag was fun to just upgrade your ship and loot ships (haven't played the new ones since black flag.) Knights of the old Republic is a good one. I just started fallout 4- never played the previous fallouts, so far I like it.

Just wanted to chime in here as another old school gamer! Commodore 64 back in the day, Bard's Tale series were both epic and infuriating! haha Impossible Mission was another favorite. Eventually upgraded to the Amiga, which had better graphics. I've always liked RPGs, I remember playing the old Dungeons and Dragons ones on the Amiga. Curse of the Azure Bonds is the one that come to mind that I spent quite a few hours on! Also, the Psygnosis games were awesome: Shadow of the Beast, Killing Game Show, etc.

After that, the original Nintendo was a pretty big deal! Was / still am a huge fan of Super Mario Bros, and I remember this was the first time you could actually get the ARCADE VERSION of a great game, identical in a home console! :o The Atari 2600 versions of arcade games were always such crap!

I kinda took a break from games after that, returning with the Nintendo 64. Mario in 3D was great, and I remember also enjoying Turok.

These days, I have nearly all the systems, but don't get as much gaming time in as I'd like. X-box 360, Wii-U, Nintendo Switch, PS4 Pro.

LOVED Diablo 3, that was one of the best games I've ever played. Eagerly awaiting Diablo 4, but no clue when it might come out. Other awesome games: Super Mario 3D World (Wii-U), Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch), looking forward to playing Destiny on PS4 - I have heard great things!

I will admit to being pretty out of touch w the latest games. I mainly love platformers, RPGs, arcade-style action. Not so much on FPS. Any recommendations? :)

Guys, I just spent the last three days playing World of Warcraft and had a lot of fun but it's making me nauseous.  :'(  I think it's the motion-  like this has been happening to me so much lately.  I'm so sad because this is so many games that make me feel sick right now.  At least I can still play Civ 6. 

For those who FPS/3rd person gameplay is an issue that are still fans of RPGs & the like -

Obsidian has been putting out old school isometric RPGs - Pillars of Eternity. The next entry comes out in April. For something much more fae Numinera: Torment is...well, if you played Planescape: Torment it's like that, but somehow weirder.

Belgen Larian Studios has been putting out the next upgrade to that - The Divinity: Original Sin series which uses the standard isometric turn based but then adds on massive numbers of interactions:  You can cut someone to spill blood, electrocute the blood to stun them, then free it all to make them fall down on the ice.  Or explode a fire barrel for a cheap fireball, then cast 'rain' to put out the fire creating steam, then electrocute the steam to stun everyone inside.

The BattleTech turn based game is due out in April - It'll be Xcom with mechs, and will definitely be interesting. They've added some mechanics that BattleTech purists may not like, but the table top version of the game is over 30 years old at this point - game designers have learned a ton in the intervening decades.

I'm still Hype for Monster Hunter Worlds and wish I didn't have to wait so long. OToH my contract is up right as it releases to the PC, so, y'know, I can't complain too much.

[66...]

Guys, I just spent the last three days playing World of Warcraft and had a lot of fun but it's making me nauseous.  :'(  I think it's the motion-  like this has been happening to me so much lately.  I'm so sad because this is so many games that make me feel sick right now.  At least I can still play Civ 6.

Damn, Nausea from WoW? :sick:

The only thing that makes me dizzy is flight simulators, it's like i can feel the g-force in me even it's game. :laugh:

Glad I found this thread. Gaming is great way for me to get through anxiety.

I recently just put a solid amount of hours into Subnautica. I highly recommend it.

I did re-up my WoW account as well but that got old again like it foes every time I have the bright idea to re-up it.

Dont know whats next. I just played some PUGB but quickly asked myself...what the hell am I doing. Those kinda of games raise my anxiety.

For now world of warships is my time filler when the baby is down for naps and chores are done.

Will keep tracking this thread...gotta love video games.

Right in the middle of my worst withdrawals is when I was given a PS4 Pro and COD WWII. I wasn't familiar with the remote, and I couldn't get the aiming down for nothing. I became so easily frustrated / angry I would have to shut it off and walk away. My kid ended up getting "Plants vs Zombies" and I could play that for short periods. Months later and I still haven't messed with the COD game.

Right in the middle of my worst withdrawals is when I was given a PS4 Pro and COD WWII. I wasn't familiar with the remote, and I couldn't get the aiming down for nothing. I became so easily frustrated / angry I would have to shut it off and walk away. My kid ended up getting "Plants vs Zombies" and I could play that for short periods. Months later and I still haven't messed with the COD game.

I can't imagine trying to play CoD in Acute. I could barely manage strategy/turn based RPGs.

Damn, Nausea from WoW? :sick:

The only thing that makes me dizzy is flight simulators, it's like i can feel the g-force in me even it's game. :laugh:

Right?  I can hardly believe it.  I also think it might be from flashing lights but it is so hard to tell.  I have been playing anyways, and just logging out when I start to feel sick, right away. 

Phenix- Thanks for posting that list.  I may give Pillars of Eternity of try.  It looks pretty cool.