Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

William Styron - Darkness Visible (free text archive)

[Lo...]

Wow, LRF, a great find :thumbsup: That’s a very good book about depression and being addicted to sleeping pills. As far as I remember, it was Halcion. Very similar to Ambien. They switched Styron to longer acting Dalmane in hospital. Got a paperback copy in EN. Awesome writer. Read most of his stuff. Did not publish much. According to the book by his daughter, he was also an alcoholic. I think he denied it.

[61...]

Right, he was taking Halcion, even more potent and shorter-acting than Xanax.Later withdrawn from the US market.

As an aside, long ago I dated a woman whose father created Halcion (he was a research scientist for a pharma company).

Yes, great book. I thought it was actually pretty brave of him to publish it, as this experience is not just incredibly painful, but is also so profoundly embarrassing to the core.

I was actually doing quite bad one night, and called a helpline, and the lady on the phone was nice, but said something along the lines of "of course this is a problem for you people who take these meds EVERY DAY, but taking it 5 times a month is perfectly ok!". So, I just bit my tongue and didn't say anything, remembering full well that I was taking ativan in ways that she described, and it didn't end up well for me, either. Based on how defensive she got, it crossed my mind that maybe she was taking ativan herself.

I was actually doing quite bad one night, and called a helpline, and the lady on the phone was nice, but said something along the lines of "of course this is a problem for you people who take these meds EVERY DAY, but taking it 5 times a month is perfectly ok!". So, I just bit my tongue and didn't say anything, remembering full well that I was taking ativan in ways that she described, and it didn't end up well for me, either. Based on how defensive she got, it crossed my mind that maybe she was taking ativan herself.

You should have bitten HER tongue.........