Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What is your Sexual Orientation?

[Li...]

I think it's more likely environmental than genetic. Note "environmental" includes early development in the womb. So something can be environmental yet also determined at birth. Left-handed-ness, assumed by most people to be genetic, has been shown to instead be early-developmental (by "early" I mean first few months of brain development in the womb). Something can be shown to be not genetic by inheritance studies. For left-handed-ness, such studies have shown about 1 in 7 people are born left-handed, and that is true regardless of whether or not mother or father is left handed. That implies "not genetic" for left-handedness. So the theory is, we're all wired by our DNA at conception to be right-handed, but in left-handed people some early brain damage happened to the part of the brain controlling the right side, causing us (I'm left-handed) to compensate by becoming left-handed. Indirect evidence for that is it's statistically associated with other defects that could be the result of that damage (stuttering, epilepsy, extreme near-sighted-ness). Homosexuality could be similar.

Thanks for this,  I appreciate the information. It becomes an entirely different matter when a person's orientation is directly affecting you personally.  As a mother, you begin to question everything, including yourself..and yes how my own personal struggle with Benzo withdrawal may have affected my family. Its very painful...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Es...]

• [no...]

• [ho...]

Well some of us have children we are trying to understand.  Try and be sensitive to the fact that there are indeed biological processes that deserve a look into...

I would suggest placing your focus on accepting these children rather than understanding their sexual orientation, because that is not going to happen.

Each new day brings forth challenges you may or may not have the opportunity to fully understand..it is difficult and as a mother, quite painful. I am riddled with guilt for the years spent , or should I say wasted as a direct result of Benzo dependence...

Well some of us have children we are trying to understand.  Try and be sensitive to the fact that there are indeed biological processes that deserve a look into...

I would suggest placing your focus on accepting these children rather than understanding their sexual orientation, because that is not going to happen.

Each new day brings forth challenges you may or may not have the opportunity to fully understand..it is difficult and as a mother, quite painful. I am riddled with guilt for the years spent , or should I say wasted as a direct result of Benzo dependence...

Hopeandfaith,

If you happen to have a child of a different sexual orientation than yourself, rest assured that it was not the result of anything that you did or did not do because of your past benzo issues. Just accept the child for what he or she is and continue to bestow your child with love. This is what will offer the best chance for future happiness for all involved. My advice and statements are only intended to be helpful and not critical.

Thanks for this,  I appreciate the information. It becomes an entirely different matter when a person's orientation is directly affecting you personally.  As a mother, you begin to question everything, including yourself..and yes how my own personal struggle with Benzo withdrawal may have affected my family. Its very painful...

Hope, it doesn’t make sense to feel guilty about having become dependent on benzos. Benzo dependence is a disease, not a character flaw. If you feel guilty, you may feel "bad" about yourself somehow. A bad person is only a person who hurts others consciously. You hurt yourself first of all. And this way others may have been hurt as well. As long as you feel guilty, it’s difficult to take constructive action. No one is guilty for having been sick at one point in their lives. All a person can do is to act in a way that prevents them from becoming sick again. I think what Aloha writes here about accepting and loving one’s kids no matter what. Is very important. We always have time and opportunity to change for the better. As long as we’re alive.

I don't have any children of my own, but if I had one, my child's sexual orientation would be non-issue for me, it would not affect me as it's a natural state of theirs, just like height, weight, or eye color.  I would live a full life with my child.

Hopeandfaith,

If you happen to have a child of a different sexual orientation than yourself, rest assured that it was not the result of anything that you did or did not do because of your past benzo issues. Just accept the child for what he or she is and continue to bestow your child with love. This is what will offer the best chance for future happiness for all involved. My advice and statements are only intended to be helpful and not critical.

Thank you Aloha, I appreciate your honesty. And I am working on acceptance.  It isnt as easy as one might think....

Hope, it doesn’t make sense to feel guilty about having become dependent on benzos. Benzo dependence is a disease, not a character flaw. If you feel guilty, you may feel "bad" about yourself somehow. A bad person is only a person who hurts others consciously. You hurt yourself first of all. And this way others may have been hurt as well. As long as you feel guilty, it’s difficult to take constructive action. No one is guilty for having been sick at one point in their lives. All a person can do is to act in a way that prevents them from becoming sick again. I think what Aloha writes here about accepting and loving one’s kids no matter what. Is very important. We always have time and opportunity to change for the better. As long as we’re alive.

Estee, your words offer much encouragement. I needed to hear this. As is often the case, things are easier said than done. Im working on things, for my child, myself and my family.... I guess as a mother my first instinct is to protect my child, I know people are not always as kind or supportive as they are here. That scares me. I just want my child to be loved, accepted and understood...what mother wouldn't...???.....

I don't have any children of my own, but if I had one, my child's sexual orientation would be non-issue for me, it would not affect me as it's a natural state of theirs, just like height, weight, or eye color.  I would live a full life with my child.

Thank you Ginger. Its comforting to know there are so many people out there willing to accept all people,  in spite of their differences...  It gives me hope...

Hope, you cannot change the world and some intolerant, obtuse people. The only thing you can change is how you react to them. And teach your child to ignore them. The way those people behave shows the exact nature of their problems. The love and acceptance received from the closest family will help your child deal with all the negative people in life. And you cannot protect your child from every hardship. You can only teach your child how to deal with hardships. Besides, children learn to love and accept themselves firstly by receiving love and acceptance from their parents.

Hope, you cannot change the world and some intolerant, obtuse people. The only thing you can change is how you react to them. And teach your child to ignore them. The way those people behave shows the exact nature of their problems. The love and acceptance received from the closest family will help your child deal with all the negative people in life. And you cannot protect your child from every hardship. You can only teach your child how to deal with hardships. Besides, children learn to love and accept themselves firstly by receiving love and acceptance from their parents.

🌌

The majority of people are accepting of alternative lifestyles, although in this country we seem to be going backwards in that regard at the moment.  I have hope and faith that this is temporary.

You are so right! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It means so much to me, your very kind compassionate and loving words remind me of all that is good in this world!  You made my morning! ❤❤❤❤

• 2 weeks later...

I had a young teenager here fir a while with GID, a male mind in a female body.. He was also Deaf.. The support and acceptance he got from peers as things evolved at school was amazing to see.. This has continued over the years, as far as I have seen..

I think each generation is that bit more informed, aware, and accepting...

You are so right! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It means so much to me, your very kind compassionate and loving words remind me of all that is good in this world!  You made my morning! ❤❤❤❤

H&F, allow me to add to Estee's wise words. 

Children learn everything, even how to love and value themselves, from watching how their parents love them, as well as how their parents love and treat each other; the love evident between their mother and father will become a "model," a "blueprint" for love and relationships throughout their lives.  As long as you can plant in them a sense of security from a loving family environment, their roots will be strong no matter what may come their way, and they will be firmly grounded.  The type of "attachment" that children experience will dictate much of how they go through life.  If their attachment to their parents was secure, they will fare well, be resilient, resourceful. 

Some posts back you asked about "gender fluid."  Being gender fluid, or gender variant, means that a person is not locked down or tied to one particular gender.  A person may identify as one or the other gender, at any one time, or even as neither or both genders.  The concepts of "male" and female" are limited, as human sexuality is more a spectrum than binary.  Germany actually recognizes a "third" gender on birth certificates now, and the transgender movement is all about surpassing the physical manifestations of how you were born, whether male, female, or intersex (born with both sets of sexual organs), to allow people to live according to how they identify themselves, what feels "right" or comfortable for them. 

Hope that helps in some way. 

You’re welcome H&F. Glad to be of any use :smitten:

• 2 months later...

I wonder how sex could be, I can barely stand up or wash the dishes actually 😂

Please don't ask me. :laugh:

Benzogirl, want to come to my place and ... "wash my dishes" ?  :smitten:

Most of these posts are hilarious,, first time I read it.  Not the serious ones, no disrespect, but some of the others had mr laughing out loud  >:(:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Most of these posts are hilarious,, first time I read it.  Not the serious ones, no disrespect, but some of the others had mr laughing out loud  >:(:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...Wash the dishes... Dry the dishes... -Turn the dishes over...

....ahhhh, -now it makes sense...

:)

Hi CF  :hug: I believe its a reference to ''lean against the dishwasher corner'' Its  ''girlie joke'' good  vibrations and all that stuff,  :laugh: My friend always used to joke ''who needs a man when you got the washing machine spin cycle!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry fellas but I just bought a dishwasher.

Hi Bets  :hug: Are you sure you still  want to admit to that after what I just posted regarding dish washers  ;)................................  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi CF  :hug: I believe its a reference to ''lean against the dishwasher corner'' Its  ''girlie joke'' good  vibrations and all that stuff,  :laugh: My friend always used to joke ''who needs a man when you got the washing machine spin cycle!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But, But... -I come with dishwasher too..!! :(

Oh u girls will get me sent to the corner again..!!