Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Northern California ON FIRE

[Bl...]

North Bay Fires-Photo

This is devastating...any BB who lives near this vast area or was caught in the midst of one of these many freak fires therein, my heart goes out to you. I live near one of these fires, may have to evacuate...hoping not. What a surreal event. :'( Hit so fast, took everyone by surprise. Just beyond words to describe....looks like a war zone.

My in-laws, my husbands parents, were evacuated.  They are just waiting to find out if their house has burned down or not.  :'( :'( :'(

North Bay Fires-Photo

This is devastating...any BB who lives near this vast area or was caught in the midst of one of these many freak fires therein, my heart goes out to you. I live near one of these fires, may have to evacuate...hoping not. What a surreal event. :'( Hit so fast, took everyone by surprise. Just beyond words to describe....looks like a war zone.

Thanks for starting this thread!  I was about to start one.  I used to live several miles from where these fires are, in Sebastopol.  I know the area very well.  It's a beautiful and scenic area and of course it's the California wine country.  Seeing the fires sweep into Santa Rosa is shocking - it's a city of well over 100,000 people, the largest city/town in the area.  I was totally shocked, and it reminded me of the terrible Oakland fire of 25 years ago.

:(

It’s just heartbreaking, terrifying - please stay safe, BlueRose.

:smitten:

Thank you LeslieAsh...it definitely has been out of the ordinary how so many places were hit all near the same time. So bizarre. I live near a hilly area and just over that range of hills is where a fire is happening. Apparently Glen Ellen, location of Jack London's ranch, has been basically wiped out. We had a lot of rain and thus a lot of growth of trees etc. This condition made it ripe for something like this to happen. The winds were a huge factor as well.

Pretty horrible. I hope everyone stays safe  :smitten:

Reminds me of the awful fires in California back in 2008. That was such a dry year, too. I remember working on a big deadline while the fires were raging nearby and smoke was everywhere. Wasn't on benzos then, but the experience was downright traumatizing, anyway. I remember driving up the highway to work during those weeks, and the visibility was so awful because of all the smoke. My anxiety and depression went up big time that year for many reasons, but those fires were just scary. It was another event in a bizarre chain of events that contributed to me being where I am right now. I was heading for a job burnout and I knew it, and didn't know what to do....

Bluerose

It's been on the news here

I can't imagine having to leave suddenly. Please stay safe.

Gard

Thank you Gard...doubt I'll be sleeping much tonight. I never imagined living through something like this...it was/is certainly an eye opener to how our lives can change in an instant.

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to a friends voice on my answering machine saying fires were happening and that if I began feeling like the smoke was causing serious issues to then evacuate. My adrenaline level went up and it took well over an hour for it to go back down to where I felt more in control. Horrible feeling....I am anxious to see how things work out given so many people are now displaced. :(

Thanks for starting this thread!  I was about to start one.  I used to live several miles from where these fires are, in Sebastopol.  I know the area very well.  It's a beautiful and scenic area and of course it's the California wine country.  Seeing the fires sweep into Santa Rosa is shocking - it's a city of well over 100,000 people, the largest city/town in the area.  I was totally shocked, and it reminded me of the terrible Oakland fire of 25 years ago.

:( a

I remember the Oakland fire...at that time I was living up in the Sierra Mountains near the Chico area. It was devastating....25 years ago...long time ago Megan.

When I moved here in the early 1970's with my mom the population of Santa Rosa was around 50,000. Moving from San Jose this was like moving to paradise. Both of my parents grew up here. Paternal side goes back several generations. It is a beautiful area and it is going to be very difficult to adjust to what this area is going to look like after the fires are brought in control and finally stop. Many of the hills/mountains are going to be black.

I knew things were volatile. But this is not how I imagined things happening. We did get a lot of rain last year and thus a lot of vegetation growth. Plus the drought that pummeled California took its toll during the past decade... the redwood trees and oak trees are still trying to recover from drought. These fires are a result of several factors....I lean toward climate change as a major contributing part.

Reminds me of the awful fires in California back in 2008. That was such a dry year, too. I remember working on a big deadline while the fires were raging nearby and smoke was everywhere. Wasn't on benzos then, but the experience was downright traumatizing, anyway. I remember driving up the highway to work during those weeks, and the visibility was so awful because of all the smoke. My anxiety and depression went up big time that year for many reasons, but those fires were just scary. It was another event in a bizarre chain of events that contributed to me being where I am right now. I was heading for a job burnout and I knew it, and didn't know what to do....

I'm sorry to hear you had to experience that.....and like you, I too am not on benzos thank goodness! I am hearing about people needing their meds in the many evacuation centers. My mind right away goes to the thought of what are people who are on benzos or other psychiatric drugs going to do? Hopefully, they will all get the meds that they are dependent on. What a nightmare in the making.....

2008 was right around the time when Ambien was doing its insidious damage to my brain. I just thought my symptoms were associated with poor health. 2008 was when the Great Recession began picking up speed. A lot was going on in my life around that year too. Little did I know I would be experiencing the most horrific experience in my life not too far from that economic event.....an ordeal from acute w/d from both benzos/z-drugs.

It seems catastrophic events are the norm....is it any wonder people seek meds for relief from the anxiety/sleepless nights that these events can cause even the most calm person?

I have to say that even though I may still need to evacuate, nothing, and I do mean nothing has compared to the horrific nightmare that benzos put me through! It is going to take a long time to recover from the scars that that ordeal caused.

When people disbelieve what one goes through because of those drugs (and that includes most doctors...at least the ones I've been dealing with), one becomes/feels invisible and that is a horrible feeling. Really, what can compare to feeling invisible?

The news just keeps getting worse and worse.  There are still several hundred people missing and the death toll could rise much, much higher.  What an awful tragedy.

I'm a native San Franciscan, and I lived in Sebastopol from 1992 through 2006.  It wasn't touched by the fire, but I'm still stunned that Santa Rosa was so badly affected.

:(

I'm sorry to hear you had to experience that.....and like you, I too am not on benzos thank goodness! I am hearing about people needing their meds in the many evacuation centers. My mind right away goes to the thought of what are people who are on benzos or other psychiatric drugs going to do? Hopefully, they will all get the meds that they are dependent on. What a nightmare in the making.....

2008 was right around the time when Ambien was doing its insidious damage to my brain. I just thought my symptoms were associated with poor health. 2008 was when the Great Recession began picking up speed. A lot was going on in my life around that year too. Little did I know I would be experiencing the most horrific experience in my life not too far from that economic event.....an ordeal from acute w/d from both benzos/z-drugs.

It seems catastrophic events are the norm....is it any wonder people seek meds for relief from the anxiety/sleepless nights that these events can cause even the most calm person?

I have to say that even though I may still need to evacuate, nothing, and I do mean nothing has compared to the horrific nightmare that benzos put me through! It is going to take a long time to recover from the scars that that ordeal caused.

When people disbelieve what one goes through because of those drugs (and that includes most doctors...at least the ones I've been dealing with), one becomes/feels invisible and that is a horrible feeling. Really, what can compare to feeling invisible?

Sorry for what you're going through BlueRose. Yes, the 2008 was so weird. My most favorite workplace turned into a nightmare that year, and I ended up leaving that job next year, and trying another one in the neighboring state. But that move backfired in my face big time, so I found myself back in California, jobless, and then I finally found a job in Bay Area that was great, but the commute was long, although pleasant. It wasn't sustainable, however. Thought about moving to Bay Area, but personal reasons prevailed, and I found a local job. Felt like the job I took wasn't right for me, and my intuition was telling me not to take it. But, being tired of the commute, I still took it, and after a while, ativan happened. Looking back, any job that requires taking an occasional ativan to deal with toxic work environment is not worth it. Definitely not worth it. The financial repercussions of trying to get out of California were horrific. It was such a confusing period in my life that I am not all that surprised that I ended up on ativan. I regret I got on it, but I see why it happened. I didn't take any sleeping pills, but the combination of Prozac + Ativan was horrific for me. It is so hard to notice the devastating benzo effects while on an SSRI. Very hard to notice. The benzo depression sneaks in so slowly and gradually, that once it becomes noticeable, there is a problem already.

Well, I still have ways to go to become benzo free, but a lot of my intrusive memories go back to 2005-2008 period, which was some years before ativan, and I just keep looking at how my life got slowly worse over those 3 years. Don't get me wrong. Each of these years was absolutely glorious compared to the ativan years, but I see how things went from blue to slightly grey in that 2005-2008 period, and I don't think this is the withdrawal talking. I was mildly depressed in 2005, and by 2008 the depression was getting heavier and the anxiety started to spike in a way that scared me. The last time I felt that sort of anxiety was in 1994.....

Interestingly, I never went to Santa Rosa. Almost did once, but stopped somewhere in Calistoga and felt tired and started going back home. I liked seeing that geyser in Calistoga. It was a very neat experience. I look back at that part of my life in disbelief, and keep wondering "I was able to drive and go that far and take pictures and all that?". Seems impossible from this vantage point. I used to love open spaces, and the agoraphobia feels so unnatural to me.

North Bay Fires-Photo

BlueRose, are you still doing okay?

BlueRose, are you still doing okay?

Thank you for your concern. Seeing one tragedy after the other is so stressful….especially for people going through benzo w/d…recovery. I know many are still recovering from the hurricane and I hope they are all doing well. It was an intense natural disaster that was no less concerning to those living through it as to those living through these fires. When lives are involved…it’s just plain scary!

I’m doing better now that containment of these fires is making very good progress. The link below will give anyone interested an aerial view of the magnitude of these fires.

I zoomed in on an area where I had lived within the past year, and the complex I lived in was not destroyed. However, it was perilously close to a huge fire…..like around 100 feet. Sadly, that fire devastated an entire horse ranch right next door to it. :( Hopefully the horses were safely transported to a place where they are doing well.

I’m so thankful the tenants are out of harms way and that the apartment complex is fine. Most of the tenants are in their late 80’s and several in their 90’s. I was one of the youngest when living there….it was an interesting experience.

My current place of residence is fine, but it was very intense for several days. The hills that are visible from where I live are seriously burned. It’s going to take a long time to recover from this….housing was already a serious problem in this area, and now this fire is going to magnify this issue. :(

KRON4-Interactive-map-assess-fire-damage-aerial view of entire region

My brother lives in a tiny town in N Cal called Little River and I'm glad to say the fires have not yet reached him.

He must live in a beautiful area...it looks like it's near the coast so I would imagine it's windy and damp there...but still a gorgeous place to live. I'm thankful your brother is safe. :)

Interestingly, I never went to Santa Rosa. Almost did once, but stopped somewhere in Calistoga and felt tired and started going back home. I liked seeing that geyser in Calistoga. It was a very neat experience. I look back at that part of my life in disbelief, and keep wondering "I was able to drive and go that far and take pictures and all that?". Seems impossible from this vantage point. I used to love open spaces, and the agoraphobia feels so unnatural to me.

LorazepamFree, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the Calistoga area :)....I'm curious what it looks like now. I have been too sick to travel much, since 2012 thanks to these drugs. I totally understand the agoraphobic feelings....I have recovered from it thankfully. I hope you fully recover...soon. You are focused in the right direction.

I do still prefer staying home...still recovering from other benzo/z-drug symptoms. During acute w/d I only left the house if I had to for the sake of survival. :( I did take brief walks...the akathisia wouldn't let me stay still for long....Paced in the apartment I lived in then, constantly.

My brother lives in a tiny town in N Cal called Little River and I'm glad to say the fires have not yet reached him.

He must live in a beautiful area...it looks like it's near the coast so I would imagine it's windy and damp there...but still a gorgeous place to live. I'm thankful your brother is safe. :)

Thanks. Yes he does. There are many farms there are he is always sending pics of sheep, bison, etc. He lives on a lot of land. Good for him to run his malamute.

• 2 weeks later...

My in-laws, my husbands parents, were evacuated.  They are just waiting to find out if their house has burned down or not.  :'( :'( :'(

If I can ask, how are your in-laws doing GreenCup? I sure hope they are fine and safely back in their home. The apartment complex I live in is just outside of Santa Rosa. There were two available vacancies that are now filled by two couples...both couples lost their homes. :(

I drove to one of the places I lived for over 20 years...the mountain near the apartment I lived in was completely black. I haven't driven to any other areas...I dread what I will see.....

If I can ask, how are your in-laws doing GreenCup? I sure hope they are fine and safely back in their home. The apartment complex I live in is just outside of Santa Rosa. There were two available vacancies that are now filled by two couples...both couples lost their homes. :(

I drove to one of the places I lived for over 20 years...the mountain near the apartment I lived in was completely black. I haven't driven to any other areas...I dread what I will see.....

It was an amazing miracle that they home was untouched by the fires.  At the bottom of their street, all the homes burned down.  My father-in-law made a video and you can see a charred part and burnt leaves all at the corner of their backyard.  It's just luck that their house didn't burn and someone else's did. 

They live in Glen Ellen, which is very close to Santa Rosa.  We have an aunt who lives in Santa Rosa whose house was also spared.  It's crazy there.  I'm so thankful for their houses to be still standing but the community has been really effected by this fire.  Many of my husband's school friends are without homes now. 

I can't even imagine.  I gotta say, it does not really make me want to move back to California.  :(  Which is something my husband kind of wanted, for some day.  :-\

I’m so happy to hear this GreenCup….good news that’s very much welcomed! :) It is understandable why you would now be reconsidering any previous plans of moving to this area. This unfortunate event has me questioning whether moving to an area that’s less prone to fires is a good idea. The drought of several years has taken its toll...I doubt the weather in this area will ever be how I remember it in the 70's.

As you know….this is also earthquake country and we are due for a sizable earthquake…at least that’s what the experts keep saying. I believe it too. During the week of the fires I felt two earthquakes. Both earthquakes were close to 3 on the Richter scale. I was able to confirm them  by a website that tracks earthquake activity. It was weird that I felt TWO earthquakes, at the same time the fires were raging.