Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Suffering with fluid retention

[MR...]

I took valium for 30 years and stopped cold turkey in May of 2017. It has been 4 months of hell. No sleep at all. The worst is the fluid retention of my whole body., Where ever I have skin I"m holding fluid especially in my stomach. I have at least 35 lbs of fluid in me. This is torture. Help!!!~

Hello MR 63!

Welcome to the forum.  We're glad you found us.

I'm sorry that you're suffering from your withdrawal.  I also did a cold turkey, and it's a rough way to withdraw.  But I pulled through the ordeal in time, and I expect that you will too.  It just takes time (more time than most people imagine).

If you haven’t already done so, please take a thorough look at the Ashton Manual.  It is an authoritative guide to benzodiazepine tapering and includes sections on what to expect during withdrawal.  The manual can be found at this link:  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual

Here's a link to the Recovery Support section.  I think this will be a useful link for you Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

And since you mentioned insomnia, here's a direct link to the Insomnia Group  Insomnia    fwiw - Insomnia was also my most challenging symptom.  My heart goes out to you

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you.

Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

HI MR 63,

Welcome to the forum and sorry you need to be here.

35 pounds of fluid retained in 4 months?  Yes, I did have some fluid retention especially in the abdominal area, but nothing like you are describing.  This is not the typical benzo withdrawal symptom.  IMO, you need to have this checked out medically if you have not already done so. 

:smitten:

She

Full body edema has been an ongoing symptom for me.  Face, eyelids, hands, belly, legs, even my back at one point.  Ugh.  The good news is that it gets better.  I still retain fluid, but like all of my symptoms, it's no longer as an intense. 

All the best in your recovery.

WR

Full body edema has been an ongoing symptom for me.  Face, eyelids, hands, belly, legs, even my back at one point.  Ugh.  The good news is that it gets better.  I still retain fluid, but like all of my symptoms, it's no longer as an intense. 

WR

That's interesting to hear.  I hadn't heard of many people retaining water during withdrawal.  It's not one of the usual complaints.  I'll be most interested in see how many people this applies to.  3.7 years of reading about peoples' withdrawal symptoms and there's still more to learn.

WR

That's interesting to hear.  I hadn't heard of many people retaining water during withdrawal.  It's not one of the usual complaints.  I'll be most interested in see how many people this applies to.  3.7 years of reading about peoples' withdrawal symptoms and there's still more to learn.

Yeah, it's not too common, but I've come across a dozen or so buddies over the years.  It's listed as an uncommon side effect of klonopin (and naturally many of the side effects are withdrawal symptoms also).  It's also listed on Balyssa's site as a withdrawal symptom.  It's a sucky one.  Very uncomfortable.

http://www.rxlist.com/klonopin-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Body as a Whole: edema, fever, shivering, abrasions, ankle edema, edema foot, edema periorbital, injury, malaise, pain, cellulitis, inflammation localized

Uncomfortable isn't the right word ,this is just unbearable. I am a skinny guy or I was I can't move or bend over it is the worst feeling I have ever had without a doubt. I refuse to give in though. One person said it took 29 months before the fluid went away. Jesus Christ , I'm only coming up on 5 months. This is a million times worse than being dope sick .

WR

Yeah, it's not too common, but I've come across a dozen or so buddies over the years.  It's listed as an uncommon side effect of klonopin (and naturally many of the side effects are withdrawal symptoms also).  It's also listed on Balyssa's site as a withdrawal symptom.  It's a sucky one.  Very uncomfortable.

http://www.rxlist.com/klonopin-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Body as a Whole: edema, fever, shivering, abrasions, ankle edema, edema foot, edema periorbital, injury, malaise, pain, cellulitis, inflammation localized

After about 6 months off, it got much better for me.  I bet you'll find relief soon.  And it goes away completely now during windows, along with my benzo belly.  I literally feel the wave break, and pee out a gallon plus of water.  It's an awful symptom, but temporary.  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [Po...]
    • [fr...]
    • [El...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [...]