Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Keep Calm and Show Your Creative Side

[79...]

This is a quilted wall hanging I designed and made.  I was going for a stained glass window effect.

http://i63.tinypic.com/5fpxc8.jpg

:smitten:

She

I love it!  :smitten:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [Ch...]

• [Es...]

• [Ma...]

Cool eclipse photos, Bads!

http://i66.tinypic.com/dy2csz.jpg

This is my kitchen floor.  Just finished painting it a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know how to make the picture smaller.

Wow, I would be afraid to walk on it, so pretty!  :smitten:

Beautifully done, She!  Very striking.

I used to quilt when I was younger... before rotary cutters and quilting machines...hand cut each piece with Ginghers and hand quilt the tops in the winter in a hoop on my lap.

I am looking closer at your kitchen floor masterpiece Challis.  That is so beautiful.  I am interested in the technical details.

What was your base flooring before painting?  Then exactly how did you do it?  Prep the base, paint the floor a base color, paint the design, etc.  Did you use a stencil or freeform it?  Did you seal it all afterwards and if so, what did you seal it with?  I love the colors too, very neutral yet striking.  And I love the way it matches what I can see of your cabinetry.  Did you paint your cabinets too?  I'm thinking all that took a lot of time on your hands and knees, so hopefully your back, knees, hips survived.

She

The floor is Douglas fir (the house was built in 1906)...maybe 3" T&G.  Filled and sanded, painted the gray (all paint is alkyd...water base paint doesn't hold up for floors) and blue-taped off the border, painted it.  I had a stencil that helped with placement and spacing of the leaves, but the leaves are pretty much freehand painted.

The first time I painted this floor was in June.  I sealed it with non-yellowing Varathane, which immediately puddled yellow.  I tried to live with it, told myself it might just look antique-y, but no, every time I walked into the kitchen it looked like the cat peed on the floor.  So I repainted it.  No seal this time. 

Yes, I painted the cabinets...the walls, the ceilings, the outside of the house...I've lived here since 1977 and I think my hands have touched nearly every surface of this house during those years.

Got a touch of sciatica from doing this project, but it was worth it.  It'll go away.

I did a bedroom floor, too.  Want to see it?

I am looking closer at your kitchen floor masterpiece Challis.  That is so beautiful.  I am interested in the technical details.

What was your base flooring before painting?  Then exactly how did you do it?  Prep the base, paint the floor a base color, paint the design, etc.  Did you use a stencil or freeform it?  Did you seal it all afterwards and if so, what did you seal it with?  I love the colors too, very neutral yet striking.  And I love the way it matches what I can see of your cabinetry.  Did you paint your cabinets too?  I'm thinking all that took a lot of time on your hands and knees, so hopefully your back, knees, hips survived.

She

The floor is Douglas fir (the house was built in 1906)...maybe 3" T&G.  Filled and sanded, painted the gray (all paint is alkyd...water base paint doesn't hold up for floors) and blue-taped off the border, painted it.  I had a stencil that helped with placement and spacing of the leaves, but the leaves are pretty much freehand painted.

The first time I painted this floor was in June.  I sealed it with non-yellowing Varathane, which immediately puddled yellow.  I tried to live with it, told myself it might just look antique-y, but no, every time I walked into the kitchen it looked like the cat peed on the floor.  So I repainted it.  No seal this time. 

Yes, I painted the cabinets...the walls, the ceilings, the outside of the house...I've lived here since 1977 and I think my hands have touched nearly every surface of this house during those years.

Got a touch of sciatica from doing this project, but it was worth it.  It'll go away.

yes please!!

But I have a question because we absolutely don't have this in Germany.. painted floor? Crazy!

How do you prevent it not to be scratched by shoes / vacuum cleaner and so on??

Crazy... I love it.. :smitten:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wlvcl4.jpg

This one was first painted about 30 years ago when I had lots of time but couldn't afford a rug, then repainted a year or so ago.  I got lazy and only repainted the part the bed doesn't cover... so the center is faded now, but it works.

oh what a wonderful idea... and how did you protect it against scratches or so? What kind of paint is that?

So nice....

It's oil-based paint, called Porch & Deck at most paint stores.  It holds up pretty well, but I keep a little jar of each color around to touch up when it gets knocked around.  Being soft wood, it doesn't take much to scuff it up, but it's an old house, no one expects it to be pristine.  Luckily!

oh what a wonderful idea... and how did you protect it against scratches or so? What kind of paint is that?

So nice....

It's oil-based paint, called Porch & Deck at most paint stores.  It holds up pretty well, but I keep a little jar of each color around to touch up when it gets knocked around.  Being soft wood, it doesn't take much to scuff it up, but it's an old house, no one expects it to be pristine.  Luckily!

I don't think I will ever own a house - but IF, I promise to do it like you and paint the floor. - I give you a call then... ::)

She

WOW 40 years in the same house!  I am in awe because my record is a mere 11 years.  And such a labor of love.  I'm sure every time you walk into your home, you take a deep breath and feel so embraced. 

I can not imagine all that floor work not once, but TWICE.  You sound like me though, I can not let anything be "good enough" and have to do it once, twice, three times if need be.  And working with oil based paint has its own special challenges, the smell and cure time for two.  But the finished product is worth it.

I have run into that "non yellowing, but yellowing" thing too and it infuriated me.  I took a beautiful round kitchen table, painted it a soft off-white, and then painted healing words all over it at random - grace, hope, beauty, strength, etc in bronze, then sanded it down for a worn look.  It was gorgeous until I sealed it with non yellowing but cat piss yellow sealer.  Fortunately, a friend loved it and I gave it to her and she still has it in her kitchen.  But that kitchen floor is perfection, and you were right to not accept something you didn't like.  Since it isn't sealed, I'm sure you don't clean it with anything but water?

And YES I'd love to see the bedroom floor too.

She

This one was first painted about 30 years ago when I had lots of time but couldn't afford a rug, then repainted a year or so ago.  I got lazy and only repainted the part the bed doesn't cover... so the center is faded now, but it works.

GORGEOUS!  I love your choice of colors.  I can see a bit of the bed - white wrought iron with crisp white linen?  So beautiful and timeless.

She

Posted the bedroom floor ^ up there somewhere. 

Just to be clear, I'm not artistic like Megan and vaartist...this is hack work compared to their talents.  I just enjoy doing projects like this and always have...except for a few years during benzo w/d and recovery.  Then I didn't want to do anything and was afraid I'd never have any desire to do so again.

Just to be clear, I'm not artistic like Megan and vaartist...this is hack work compared to their talents.  I just enjoy doing projects like this and always have...except for a few years during benzo w/d and recovery.  Then I didn't want to do anything and was afraid I'd never have any desire to do so again.

creativity means finding new solutions.

your work shows exactly how you found a solution for not having enough money and in the end: its art.

Thats all.  :thumbsup:

wow  abolutely stunning, and good to know that motivation and desire can and  do come back....with time... :thumbsup:

thanks  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Sage

Bads:

Congrats for stepping up to the plate. Good to see you on the team but not sure if I should throw you a party or a funeral.......... :laugh:

Half a party, half a funeral :) Like in Woody Allen's movies.

There's a problem. If you sell your photographs, you can't display them here. Cause they may be copied. Just my thought... There is a photo site where you theoretically can prevent your pix from copyright. I had this option turned on. But a friend copied my own photo and post-processed it. He made it private after I asked him to. Don't know how he did it. Didn't have time to ask him, cause I deleted the account. Not because of him, of course.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." [soren Kierkegaard]

"Do not dwell on the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." [buddha]

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5760/event.png[/img]

Bads:

Congrats for stepping up to the plate. Good to see you on the team but not sure if I should throw you a party or a funeral.......... :laugh:

Half a party, half a funeral :) Like in Woody Allen's movies.

There's a problem. If you sell your photographs, you can't display them here. Cause they may be copied. Just my thought... There is a photo site where you theoretically can prevent your pix from copyright. I had this option turned on. But a friend copied my own photo and post-processed it. He made it private after I asked him to. Don't know how he did it. Didn't have time to ask him, cause I deleted the account. Not because of him, of course.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." [soren Kierkegaard]

"Do not dwell on the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." [buddha]

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5760/event.png[/img]

In my case, I do not normally sell my photos.  Two of them were published in magazines and I got a little $ for those, but that's a rarity.  I find my images scattered around the internet on a regular basis.  I'm happy that people want to use them.  You're correct, however, that many people care about their images getting out.  And yes, it's pretty much impossible to keep an image from being grabbed. 

To get the ball rolling...  I think a few people know that I do astrophotography as a hobby.  Here's an offering from last month's solar eclipse.

http://enchantedskies.net/Eclipse5.jpg

Sweet, very nice, should be in a gallery.

And congrats on your promotion.

Cool eclipse photos, Bads!

http://i66.tinypic.com/dy2csz.jpg

This is my kitchen floor.  Just finished painting it a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know how to make the picture smaller.

You used stencils for the leaves?  Don't tell me each one is unique!  Wow.

To get the ball rolling...  I think a few people know that I do astrophotography as a hobby.  Here's an offering from last month's solar eclipse.

http://enchantedskies.net/Eclipse5.jpg

Really cool, Bads :thumbsup: Great hobby. I usually walk at night with my head up, looking at the stars. I often stumble...

Gorgeous painting, Challis. The colors are so well matched. Lots of attention to detail. I guess everything is more a question of work than of talent. I started professional photography in the middle of last year and spent an incredible amount of hrs just learning my DSLR and Adobe. I learnt everything myself, from online tutorials and photographer friends.

If you doing sth and get into that "flow" state. It means you've got to keep doing it. My dual diagnosis is a great obstacle. Especially OCD, insomnia and benzo addiction. Until I came here in June, I used to spend several days doing portrait sessions of Kitty. Whole nights post-processing in Adobe LR. Had to stop for a while, cause it was just consuming me. I miss it so much. I feel like photography is 50% of my life now.