Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

HELP!!! Got fleas in home, can anyone tell me if insecticide safe to use pls

[ff...]

[ff...]

About a month ago my friend brought his dog in who had fleas.

I thought I was just catastrophising at the time, due to anxiety, so I hoovered and forgot  about them.

Now the eggs have hatched, I have larvae pupae and adult fleas and i need to use an insecticide but I am afraid of inhaling it as it acts on gabaa

The ingredients are permethrinand Pyripoxyfen  which controls growth of eggs.

I am anaemic and in withdrawal so vaccumming every day is out of the question and salt doesnt work either.

Has anyone used flea spray in thier home while tapering and been ok or does it affect you?

Desperate for help, cos i am gettting more and more bites every day now.

They're in my bed.

My old landlady used borax to get rid of cockroaches.  She would just put the powder down and that would work.  I'm not sure if that works for fleas but it did work for cockroaches and doesn't hurt cats.

Id be cautious with anything chemical myself . Can you do a google search on flea killers natural . A couple,of things come to mind , perhaps an essential oil spray of some kind , or diatamaceous earth .. Totally non toxic but it drys up insects I think. Bit messy tho. You can also put out some bowls of warm water fro starters , for some reason they'll jump in .....

Hope you can find a natural solution. !

MiYu

Hi sorry for late asnswer, I am so worried about this.

The whole flea life cycle has happened, fleas bit me about 5 weeks ago, then i forgot them then 2 weeks ago started getting bitten again.

They have gone through egg, larvae, pupa and adult flea stages and the only way to get rid of them is by chemials.

Will they definitely make me poorly, please someone help, I've read loads off posts on here and its really worrying me.

The whole flea life cycle has happened, fleas bit me about 5 weeks ago, then i forgot them then 2 weeks ago started getting bitten again.

They have gone through egg, larvae, pupa and adult flea stages and the only way to get rid of them is by chemials.

Will they definitely make me poorly, please someone help, I've read loads off posts on here and its really worrying me.

Just nuke them !!!!      :tickedoff:

:laugh:  I think the flees will give you more trouble than the chemicals. If you handle things/products with extreme care and as instructed I don't believe they will make you feel any worse than you are already feeling. Things can only get better from my perspective if you nuke them. These chemicals are highly developed nowadays. Even a baby won't get harmed by it. You might actually feel a bit better by using it, have you ever thought about that ??    ;)

:laugh:  I think the flees will give you more trouble than the chemicals. If you handle things/products with extreme care and as instructed I don't believe they will make you feel any worse than you are already feeling. Things can only get better from my perspective if you nuke them. These chemicals are highly developed nowadays. Even a baby won't get harmed by it. You might actually feel a bit better by using it, have you ever thought about that ??    ;)

Hi Totalreplapse

I read about the chemicals they use and they act on the GABA system, plus i read on here many posts about peoples symptoms being affected by pesticides.

That's why I am so worried, also there is a gap between our lofts and I live in a row of flats so i am worried i hav infested the whole top storeey where i live, and if i have i may have to pay to get insulation removed and treatment for all the flats.

Hi Totalreplapse

I read about the chemicals they use and they act on the GABA system, plus i read on here many posts about peoples symptoms being affected by pesticides.

That's why I am so worried, also there is a gap between our lofts and I live in a row of flats so i am worried i hav infested the whole top storeey where i live, and if i have i may have to pay to get insulation removed and treatment for all the flats.

Journey2  I know all about these kind of intrusive thoughts and irrational fears while tapering off Valium. Many times I had to deal with these kind of dilemma's myself and because of the fear there were only very few options I left myself with. But it comes to a certain point that sometimes we need to push through and take care of situations and force ourselves to make a decision about it. Maybe you need to think it over for a while. You don't have to take action right away. You can sleep on this. But just ask yourself what  really would be bothering you the most. The flees or the slight impact (and this is not even sure, it could be a fantasy because that's what fear is.) the pesticide would have on your GABA system. Also things to consider. If you use the pesticide on your body or bed any kind of imaginary or real impact will go away extremely fast and especially if you open a window or door and you take some deep breaths in fresh air. If you spray it on yourself or on your bed it will vent away very fast too.

What's worrying you the most at this point ? The flees or the impact the product would have on you. I personally think that if you would take the step and go easy with that stuff you would be surprised about how well you handled this and it would turn out in a big victory for yourself. Don't forget there's still 54 mg of Valium that backs you up in case of anything happening. About your concerns you were talking about at the end of your post and you having to pay for all those flats treatments for infections ... Let's just say that's a big fantasy and lie in your head you need to get rid of. I highly doubt this will happen. Actually I'm convinced it won't. It's all lies and fears in your head. You can basically go do what any other human being would do when having to deal with flees without it harming you. Maybe you should just start by using a little bit. Is this a creme you need to use on your body ? How about putting on a little and see what happens. If you don't feel comfortable using the stuff it will create fear but this will fade away.

Can you call a medical doctor and ask him about this ? Or even a pharmacist that can give you some peace of mind about using this product when in withdrawal ? I think you should do this. Ask around if it's going to be harmful or not and I'm pretty sure these people will reassure you it's not. Maybe you have just not reached the point in your life yet you want to use the stuff. That's okay too ! Just wait and ask around about what it can or can not do to you. But these things are incredibly safe to use. They even use it on babies and little kids I believe without it harming them. The spray for your bed will be the same. Created to sleep in it. But I do understand about your concerns and worries. Anyways. Good luck with it.

If you drink a teaspoon of vinegar in a glass of water, it should repel fleas off of your body  for 12-24 hours.  Same if you feed some small amount of vinegar to an animal, but it would be less than a teaspoon.  Wash and vacuum everything and without a host they will go away eventually. 

Hi Journey :). Follow GreenCup's advice to vacuum really well and wash everything else. Put everything that can be laundered in the washer and dryer, and vacuum everything else..rugs, curtains, furniture.  That really should take care of it and they will eventually die off without a host. One thing to do is to dispose of the vacuum bag outside when you are done so you don't just move the fleas and eggs around. If you have a bagless vacuum dump it out and then bring that bag outside and clean out the vacuum cup with some vinegar and water. I know what you are going through with the fear of the chemicals and that you might infest the whole building. I've been there, and I totally get it. I'm sorry you are dealing with that. This really should be a self limiting issue that can be resolved with elbow grease and no chemicals.

Hi Totalreplapse

:laugh:  Just tell them to send the paycheck to your friends dog !

No, like serious dude. They can't hold you responsible for this. If anyone was to be held accountable or responsible for this mess it would be your friend because he was the one that brought in the dog with the flees. Ever thought about that one ? Will your friend pay for the expenses of you cleaning up the mess and buying products to get rid of the flees ??? Right ! Don't think so but if anyone should pay at the end of this all for the whole appartement building or complex to get infected it would be him right ? Or am I mistaken ??? And again I really am of the opinion there's not a chance in hell this scenario will unfold. This is just not your fault and you shouldn't take responsibility for anything that happened. The benzo or Valium withdrawal in particular is just great at flaring up guilt and shame in people that don't deserve it or in situations that you just don't have to feel guilt or shame at all.