Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Irma - Floridians Check In!

[Sh...]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ly...]

• [Sw...]

• [Ch...]

Hi FG,

Yes there are still many people without power.  And the fuel situation is very dicey.  Many people on the move coming back home.  Locally the schools are still closed and most will reopen Monday.  Still much debris everywhere but crews are working steadily in all directions and making progress.  I know what its like to just want to get home, but it might be easier to just wait up there in the cool a bit longer.

XX

She

It's supposed to be 88 here tomorrow so I guess the cool front is on its way out  :'(

Not going anywhere for now. Well see what happens over the next couple of days.

Sorry you're stuck for now, FloridaGuy... at least you were able to get your tiny house out of harm's way.  :smitten:

Yea, if the house would have sustained damage I would be in bad shape. Counting on that to be the big stepping stone for getting my life back.

Good Morning All,

The storm has moved out of my area and we are left with gusty winds,  All things considered, we are fine despite an anxiety ridden night.  We have no property damage, no trees down, no power outages, and no water intrusion. The lake in our back yard is very high but it didn't breach the crest of the slope.  There is debris everywhere, but nothing we can't handle.  We feel fortunate and we are very grateful.

Lynn, so happy you got positive news of your mother's situation.  Sweet Pea, glad the early reports are good for you despite the power loss.  BeGood, so happy that the news out of Coral Springs is good.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and words of comfort.  To those who have dealt with or are dealing with this, please update us when you can.

:smitten:

She

Happy to see this, too, She.  :smitten:

Thank you Challis!

A post-hurricane health tip:

While most of our homes here in Tampa Bay Area were sparred, our Adrenal Glands were not. Your Adrenals are responsible for regulating stress in your body and needless to say they've been working overtime this past week. From the Weather Channel telling us repeatedly that we were going to lose everything and possibly die, to all the prepping, packing, and then un-prepping and unpacking. I think we can all agree that this has been a mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting experience. Many of us will experience some form of Adrenal Fatigue in the coming weeks as your Adrenals need some time to recover. You could feel some of the following symptoms: more fatigued than normal, more emotional, less ability to handle stress, have low back pain, hormonal imbalance, restless sleep, low sex drive, dizziness, and have less strength and stamina physically. So here are a few tips for getting your Adrenals to bounce back relatively quickly:

1. Sleep: You should be more tired than normal. Let your body sleep in. I know this is not easy right now for the many people that don't have power. But keep this in mind for the rest of the month. Don't set an alarm if you don't have to. Go to bed early. Take naps if you are tired in the afternoon. Rest.

2. If you workout, take it easy: Many of us are eager to get back to our regular workout routine. However, you may find that you're not quite as strong or fast as you use to be. This is not the time to try and push through and reach new gains. Workout, but be gentle with yourself at the same time. Lift lighter, run slower, do more yoga.

3. Release the Emotional Trauma: Let's not ignore the fact that we all thought our town was going to be destroyed. We contemplated losing everything. That's some trauma right there, and it needs to be processed not ignored. Cry, journal, meditate, get energy work done, etc.... Don't just jump back into life like everything is normal, it's not. Let yourself heal.

4. Take supplements: For extra Adrenal support and healing consider taking some Adaptogen Herbs, Pantothenic Acid (B-5), and a little B-12. They'll help your Adrenals recover.

Ignoring symptoms and just pushing through will only make you more exhausted in the long run. When you go through a stressful incident or experience trauma you need to let yourself heal and recover. Take the time to rest now and we'll all be stronger and more vital in the coming weeks.

Thank you for the great post Tropical!

It's easy to underestimate the toll of something like this.  I had a ramping of things and a return of a couple sxs that had not been around for months.  We feel it - even if not totally consciously aware.  I am having lower back pain - something I never have!

Yes, it's time to mind all of this and do the things necessary to recover.  Peace and healing to all. :smitten: