Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Irma - Floridians Check In!

[Sh...]

Just got news my house was untouched so that is good, no power so not even going to think about making the trip down until that is back on.

My main concern now is what will the time frame be for permits and contractors as I am renovating? We will need to be aware that some contractors will try to gouge as they will have plenty of work from the insurance.

So happy that my part of Florida seems to have escaped much damage as I would hate to be living in a war torn area.

Wishing everyone as much good fortune as I have had.

2trusting

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ly...]

• [Sw...]

• [Ch...]

Great news 2T!  I agree with you about surrounding areas being in relatively good shape.  Some of us sure dodged a bullet.

Are your permits already in process?  I assume you have a contract with your contractor?  Hopefully that will be honored.  I think you would have remedies if you were abandoned for profiteering.  Hopefully your contractor is an honest person.  You should be towards the front of the line. 

Just got news my house was untouched so that is good, no power so not even going to think about making the trip down until that is back on.

My main concern now is what will the time frame be for permits and contractors as I am renovating? We will need to be aware that some contractors will try to gouge as they will have plenty of work from the insurance.

So happy that my part of Florida seems to have escaped much damage as I would hate to be living in a war torn area.

2trusting

Hi 2T!  So glad your house is in good shape.  That is good news indeed.  Hoping your reno remains on track.  However, I am hearing that contractors are well within their rights/duties to delay routine work while attending to more urgent issues.  Although that wouldn't be good news for you, I can understand the rationale.  Lets hope it all gets done in a timely fashion.

:smitten:

She

Here's a feel good anecdote.  Yesterday was very windy and I stayed indoors to allow things to settle before facing yard debris clean up today.  I went out at 8:30 am this morning to assess and lo and behold, someone had cleaned my entire front yard and curb!  Neatly raked and debris placed into bags and at my curbside awaiting pickup.  I never saw anyone working, so I am thinking it was done while we were taking a quick nap late yesterday.  I'm sure it was one of my neighbors who is choosing to remain anonymous as no one yet is fessing up to being the good Samaritan.  It kind of restores ones faith in our fellow human beings!

She

Wonderful news that everyone is safe and sound.

Lynn so glad your condo is still there and your Mom is safe.

She what a wonderful story about your neighbors.

We lost power for only one day and got it back last night.  Roads are a mess, schools are still closed but otherwise okay.  I live in Palm Beach County.

All I  can say is thank heavens that the forecasters were wrong. 

Yea I will be staying here until at least Thursday. Going to play it by ear and wait for power to get tuned on, roads opened and gas supplies stocked.

We lost power for only one day and got it back last night.  Roads are a mess, schools are still closed but otherwise okay.  I live in Palm Beach County.

Glad you are back to business as usual Kgirl.  I don't think the meteorologists were wrong.  Irma was a monster and they got it mostly right.  A hurricane can be totally unpredictable in terms of any sudden track changes.  Our local meteorologists were awesome, alerting us immediately to a sudden track change that brought Irma closer to us than predicted at the last minute.  They were well ahead of the National Hurricane Center and NOAA. We came out okay too, and I am grateful as many did not.

She

Has anyone heard from Gardenia and how she's doing?  She hasn't been on the forum.

I had a couple of emails from her on Sunday morning but haven't heard anything since then. I'm worried too although I think quite a lot of homes are still without power and may be for a while yet.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected by the hurricane and those up here in Canada by the wildfires burning out of control in B.C. and now in Waterton Park.

Still have no power, propane ran out yesterday.  Hot and miserable here in the daylight.  Another day of yard work. 

Sweet pea

I'm so sorry Sweet Pea.  Here in Florida, being without power is serious business.  With the heat 90+, food spoilage is a problem as well as just plain old personal comfort.  Hoping yours is restored quickly.  Thinking of you.

She

Yes I am miserable company now.  Did have a shower yesterday before propane ran out.  Never really paid close attention before, but just a simple shower can boost your mood for a while.  We have old power lines in our neighborhood.  Something must be seriously damaged because most of the other areas have power restored. 

Sweet pea

Now they are saying that I75 might have to close due to river levels. I still don't even know if we have power at the house or if fuel is going to be a problem but I am ready to get home. I guess I should just enjoy the AC and cool evenings here I'm Mississippi while I can.

Just found out I have a palm tree that has been partially up rooted by the storm and needs to be taken down, it is leaning towards my house but as I knew the insurance will only pay if it hits my house.

I am hoping it will last a few weeks before I take it down as I am not in the area and also I would like to wait until after the initial gouge prices that I am sure will come from the tree people.

Could have been worse though.

2trusting

Now they are saying that I75 might have to close due to river levels. I still don't even know if we have power at the house or if fuel is going to be a problem but I am ready to get home. I guess I should just enjoy the AC and cool evenings here I'm Mississippi while I can.

Hi FG,

Yes there are still many people without power.  And the fuel situation is very dicey.  Many people on the move coming back home.  Locally the schools are still closed and most will reopen Monday.  Still much debris everywhere but crews are working steadily in all directions and making progress.  I know what its like to just want to get home, but it might be easier to just wait up there in the cool a bit longer.

XX

She

Just got power back.  The house should cool down soon.  Now time to throw away the spoiled stuff in fridge, yuck.

Sweet pea

Whoo Hoo!  Doing the happy dance for you Sweet Pea!

She

Just found out I have a palm tree that has been partially up rooted by the storm and needs to be taken down, it is leaning towards my house but as I knew the insurance will only pay if it hits my house.

I am hoping it will last a few weeks before I take it down as I am not in the area and also I would like to wait until after the initial gouge prices that I am sure will come from the tree people.

Could have been worse though.

2trusting

Must be difficult to hear about all this from a distance.  I feel for you.  Hopefully the tree will just stay put until you can assess and attend to it personally.

XX

She

Update - just spoke with my mother's neighbor (must have a diff cell provider).  No flooding or water in the house.  They are fine.  This is the first that I have broken down and cried.

So happy to see this, Lynn.  :smitten:

Good Morning All,

The storm has moved out of my area and we are left with gusty winds,  All things considered, we are fine despite an anxiety ridden night.  We have no property damage, no trees down, no power outages, and no water intrusion. The lake in our back yard is very high but it didn't breach the crest of the slope.  There is debris everywhere, but nothing we can't handle.  We feel fortunate and we are very grateful.

Lynn, so happy you got positive news of your mother's situation.  Sweet Pea, glad the early reports are good for you despite the power loss.  BeGood, so happy that the news out of Coral Springs is good.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and words of comfort.  To those who have dealt with or are dealing with this, please update us when you can.

She

Happy to see this, too, She.  :smitten:

2trusting

Yes I am miserable company now.  Did have a shower yesterday before propane ran out.  Never really paid close attention before, but just a simple shower can boost your mood for a while.  We have old power lines in our neighborhood.  Something must be seriously damaged because most of the other areas have power restored. 

Sweet pea

I'm sorry, Sweet pea, but glad you're relatively okay... I was worried for you.  :hug: