Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Irma - Floridians Check In!

[Sh...]

[70...]

People...25 years ago Andrew (a hurricane smaller than Irma) took out Homestead Air force Base, imagine an Air force Base. I was station there.

BTW I live in Denver Colorado and the weather is beautiful

I will be praying for all you that think you can ride this storm :idiot:

Take care

Glama, this is a support thread for people in a frightening and deadly situation. It's hard to understand how you could post something so unkind. For now it might be better if you enjoy your weather elsewhere. Thank you.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ly...]

• [Sw...]

• [Ch...]

I'm in the Tampa Bay area, I watched news tonight, it's all headed for us.

Tonight the Energy Co. Called telling us what number to call and they said we will most likely lose power :(

The fridge and freezer are full so will probably lose that. It's all supposed to start Sunday, I think. I'm really scared :(

Gardenia, take all the precautions we are all told about.  Then take a  deep breath.  Yes, this situation is anxiety producing, but we will get through this and be okay.  I'll be thinking of you over here near Orlando.

:smitten:

She

People...25 years ago Andrew (a hurricane smaller than Irma) took out Homestead Air force Base, imagine an Air force Base. I was station there.

BTW I live in Denver Colorado and the weather is beautiful

I will be praying for all you that think you can ride this storm :idiot:

Take care

Glama, if you are saying its crazy to try and ride out this storm when you live on the south Florida coast and could have evacuated but did not and chose to stay then I agree with you.  However, there are many for which evacuation was not an option, due to lack of transportation, money, fuel, chronic health issues etc and are forced to stay and face it.  For them I am truly sorry they are caught facing a natural disaster beyond their control.  I, and many others of us here in Florida are in areas advised to stay in place, which we are doing, so we are not merely foolish "riders on the storm" behaving recklessly.  As for Colorado, I lived there too and it is indeed beautiful, but has its own forces of nature to contend with.  Extreme blizzards, wildfires, avalanches, tornadoes, earthquakes to name a few.  Each region has its challenges.

She

I'm on the Nature Coast, north of Tampa. The storm shifted yesterday and will pass directly over my home. I'm very close to the water and expect flooding of 8 - 12 feet. I was going to ride it out but decided that's not a good idea. I'm leaving fairly soon to drive back home (Chicago). Could be a tough ride out of the state as fuel shortages are a real problem, the roads are gridlocked, and there's not many roads out of here.

I've been trying since Monday to get out of here, no flights, no hotels available in any states north of here. The shelters are full already. So, if I'm driving, I'm just going to keep on going and go back home–my other home, where my family all reside.

Good luck to everyone else. Stay safe.

I'm on the Nature Coast, north of Tampa. The storm shifted yesterday and will pass directly over my home. I'm very close to the water and expect flooding of 8 - 12 feet. I was going to ride it out but decided that's not a good idea. I'm leaving fairly soon to drive back home (Chicago). Could be a tough ride out of the state as fuel shortages are a real problem, the roads are gridlocked, and there's not many roads out of here.

I've been trying since Monday to get out of here, no flights, no hotels available in any states north of here. The shelters are full already. So, if I'm driving, I'm just going to keep on going and go back home–my other home, where my family all reside.

Good luck to everyone else. Stay safe.

Hi Anchors,  I am familiar with your area and it is indeed beautiful.  I hope the storm impact on the coast there isn't as destructive as predicted.  Good luck with your evacuation.  All the challenges you cited are real and have prevented many from going that route.  As for Chicago, this is one time of the year that the weather is agreeable enough for a visit.  I have lived there too, in DuPage County and the winters were a nightmare!  I'll be thinking of you as you get n the road and of your area as the storm approaches.

XX

She

I am in Brevard county.  We live about 3 miles west of the intracoastal waterway.  Not terrified of storm surge anymore.  Looks like so far it will hit far west of us.  Right now taking a break from putting up metal storm shutters.  Bought them many years ago after one bad storm.  Only use the once in a great while.  Glad we have them.  Only concerned about a tree falling on the house,. Hopefully the wind will not be that strong.

Sweet pea

Resigned to losing my home - first floor on the beach in Naples.  Will also lose a home we own that my in-laws use - 5 blocks from the beach.  No surviving an 8-12ft storm surge.

Biggest (only) concern is my mother and sister in Bonita Springs.  I'm trying to get them to go to a shelter.  I think they would be ok in the house but I don't want to take that chance.  I do not know if they will go.  They were to leave Thursday for a hotel in Orlando but the storm shifted to the east.  Now, of course, it's gone west and they will be in the middle/eye.

update - they are going to a shelter.  I'll call in 30 minutes to make sure they left.  I am relieved.

prayers welcome.

I am in Brevard county.  We live about 3 miles west of the intracoastal waterway.  Not terrified of storm surge anymore.  Looks like so far it will hit far west of us.  Right now taking a break from putting up metal storm shutters.  Bought them many years ago after one bad storm.  Only use the once in a great while.  Glad we have them.  Only concerned about a tree falling on the house,. Hopefully the wind will not be that strong.

Sweet pea

Yes it is looking better for you Sweet Pea.  I'm happy for you but know that one person's good news is another's misery.  Stay safe.

She

Resigned to losing my home - first floor on the beach in Naples.  Will also lose a home we own that my in-laws use - 5 blocks from the beach.  No surviving an 8-12ft storm surge.

Biggest (only) concern is my mother and sister in Bonita Springs.  I'm trying to get them to go to a shelter.  I think they would be ok in the house but I don't want to take that chance.  I do not know if they will go.  They were to leave Thursday for a hotel in Orlando but the storm shifted to the east.  Now, of course, it's gone west and they will be in the middle/eye.

update - they are going to a shelter.  I'll call in 30 minutes to make sure they left.  I am relieved.

prayers welcome.

Lynn, I'm so sorry that the shift in track now will be bad news for your properties.  Glad that your mother and sister have decided to go to the shelter.  They will definitely be safer there, but I know even that option is no picnic.  As for us in Orlando, since we are in the middle of the state, either track wasn't good news for us, but better than those in coastal areas, so I feel lucky in that regard.  Please update us as things progress when you can.

She

She and everyone who has the potential to be hit by hurricane Irma:

Please stay safe!

Thinking of you,

Fallingstar

Thank you Falling Star!  Soon to be Rising Star!

She

I'm thinking of you, She. And all the other Floridians also. Thankfully, we are on the other side of the country. Our lung-choking wildfires seem piddling in comparison to Irma.

Stay safe, all.

Katz

I'm thinking of you, She. And all the other Floridians also. Thankfully, we are on the other side of the country. Our lung-choking wildfires seem piddling in comparison to Irma.

Stay safe, all.

Katz

Ditto, Katz.  Even the devastated forests will grow back in time with little effort from humans, although the Helena Fire nearest me has taken over 100 homes and historic businesses. 

Thinking of all of you ... watching updates and hoping it misses you all.

Challis

Thank you Challis!  Unfortunately, with its size, its unlikely that it will miss anyone in the entire state of Florida!

She

Stay safe, all.

Katz

Thank you OK!

She

Stay safe, all.

Katz

Ditto, Katz.  Even the devastated forests will grow back in time with little effort from humans, although the Helena Fire nearest me has taken over 100 homes and historic businesses.

Devastation through any means is horrible.  The historic homes and businesses are irreplaceable too.  I feel for anyone affected by any of these disasters.

She

Thoughts, prayers and love for everybody here. <3

Feeling pretty frazzled myself. My mother's 101-year-old cousin was evacuated from Ponte Vedra to Saint Pete, right smack in the latest tracking of the eye of the storm.  :-[

She's an absolutely amazing treasure, and although she's ambulatory and has all of her marbles, this is really hard on her, and on all of the older folks that were relocated. I'm thankful that at least it was an organized move, and that they'll help these old folks in every way they can. It's frustrating to not be able to reach her, but I can get relay messages at least, whew.

Everybody is precious - praying that the efforts made will keep everyone as safe as they can be, and maybe there really won't be casualties.

I had no idea there were so many Orlando people here.

I packed up and towed my tiny house up to a friend's house in Mississippi. It's a nice change getting out of Orlando for awhile but I'm hoping I will be able to get back by next weekend. Can't afford to keep my business shut down for long  :-\

Praying for all of you in FLA.  These hurricanes are terrible.  I worked in a call center here in PA for FEMA to help people in FLA apply for benefits back when Charley and all those other hurricanes hit that one year. 

I had no idea there were so many Orlando people here.

I packed up and towed my tiny house up to a friend's house in Mississippi. It's a nice change getting out of Orlando for awhile but I'm hoping I will be able to get back by next weekend. Can't afford to keep my business shut down for long  :-\

Great time to get out of town Florida Guy!  Yeah, that's the good news/bad news of a tiny house.  It would definitely be blown away by a strong storm, but you can just move it out of harm's way whenever you need to. Hope your Mom fares well.

XX

She

Praying for all of you in FLA.  These hurricanes are terrible.  I worked in a call center here in PA for FEMA to help people in FLA apply for benefits back when Charley and all those other hurricanes hit that one year.

Thank you Becks.  There will be plenty of call for disaster relief benefits after this storm!

XX

She

Thoughts, prayers and love for everybody here. <3

Feeling pretty frazzled myself. My mother's 101-year-old cousin was evacuated from Ponte Vedra to Saint Pete, right smack in the latest tracking of the eye of the storm.  :-[

She's an absolutely amazing treasure, and although she's ambulatory and has all of her marbles, this is really hard on her, and on all of the older folks that were relocated. I'm thankful that at least it was an organized move, and that they'll help these old folks in every way they can. It's frustrating to not be able to reach her, but I can get relay messages at least, whew.

Everybody is precious - praying that the efforts made will keep everyone as safe as they can be, and maybe there really won't be casualties.

Thank you Leslie.  I've heard that same scenario several times now.  People evacuated from south Florida to west coast Florida, only to have the track move towards them.  YES its very hard on the elderly and those with chronic illnesses or disabilities.  Not much point in trying to relocate even further now.  I hope she fares well.

XX

She