Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Irma - Floridians Check In!

[Sh...]

Check in Floridians and tell us where you are and your plans for the storm.

I am in the Orlando area, in the east county.  Latest info is that Irma will make a beeline through where I am.

We are staying in place.  I have done all the preparations that are recommended.  I will hunker down and ride it out.

I am thinking about all my fellow Floridians.  Almost 100% of us will be affected by this storm, some more than others.  I hope you have either evacuated in the high risk coastal areas or have battened down the hatches where you are.  Be safe and let us know an update if you can both during and after.

:smitten:

She

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ly...]

• [Sw...]

• [Ch...]

Hi She - I am in South Florida - and talk about anxiety.  We are not in an evacuation area and we had planned a vacation to CO starting tomorrow. It looks as if we will get out but also looks like we won't have a house when we come back.  Our house is as ready as it can be. I begged my mother to leave earlier this week but she refused so she will still be here - more gray hairs!!!

I am feeling for all of those in Texas impacted by Harvey and those of us who are all going to be impacted by this storm. The devastation in the Caribbean is mind boggling. 

Be safe. 

Hi She - I am in South Florida - and talk about anxiety.  We are not in an evacuation area and we had planned a vacation to CO starting tomorrow. It looks as if we will get out but also looks like we won't have a house when we come back.  Our house is as ready as it can be. I begged my mother to leave earlier this week but she refused so she will still be here - more gray hairs!!!

I am feeling for all of those in Texas impacted by Harvey and those of us who are all going to be impacted by this storm. The devastation in the Caribbean is mind boggling. 

Be safe.

WOW very timely vacation to Colorado!  Glad you will be away and safe, but know you will worry about your Mom.  Yes, this storm promises to be quite the spectacle from Mother Nature.  And there's another one right behind this one!  Yikes.

She

Hi She and Kgirl,

I'm watching 24/7.  My mother (and sister) are in SWFL.  They have reservations for a hotel in Orlando but it looks like they will then be in the middle of it.  They were planning to drive up tomorrow.  I don't really know what to tell them at this point.  Oh...and if this moves back west my home won't survive it.  I'm first floor on the beach.  Yikes!

I'm in east Orlando area and it looks as if the eye is coming to us. It has sifted to the west.

We're staying and will pray for protection ! We're close to the airport.

George,

I heard that the roads are jammed.  This is one issue with my relatives driving to Orlando - they told me it will take at least 10hrs.  Of course, now the storm is to go thru there.  Gosh, this thing is frightening.

Hi She and Kgirl,

I'm watching 24/7.  My mother (and sister) are in SWFL.  They have reservations for a hotel in Orlando but it looks like they will then be in the middle of it.  They were planning to drive up tomorrow.  I don't really know what to tell them at this point.  Oh...and if this moves back west my home won't survive it.  I'm first floor on the beach.  Yikes!

Hi Lynn33,

Yes, its hard to know what to do.  The highway traffic is bumper to bumper and Orlando is filling up fast, but as you have pointed out, we are going to get the eye through here if it stays on its current track.  Still, I think Orlando, or anywhere inland, would be safer than coastal on either coast since the storm is so big.

XX

She

I'm in east Orlando area and it looks as if the eye is coming to us. It has sifted to the west.

We're staying and will pray for protection ! We're close to the airport.

Hi Never!  You are not too far from me.  And YES it looks like we will be hit pretty hared.  Nothing to do but what we're already doing.  I'll be thinking of you and us all as the storm approaches.

xx

She

Hi She and Kgirl,

Hi Lynn33,

Yes, its hard to know what to do.  The highway traffic is bumper to bumper and Orlando is filling up fast, but as you have pointed out, we are going to get the eye through here if it stays on its current track.  Still, I think Orlando, or anywhere inland, would be safer than coastal on either coast since the storm is so big.

XX

She

They are going to stay put.  They are far enough inland to avoid any surge issues and in a newer home with hurricane glass, etc.  I don't know that they would be better off in Orlando.  My mother is 83 and the thought of the drive, etc. is causing alot of stress.  I wish I was down there.  It comforts me that all the neighbors will be there.  I've already written off our place. :(

I'm going to have to get out of the house today and away from the tv.  My watching/worrying is not going to change anything.

Are you all prepared?  At least as best you can be?

Hi She and Kgirl,

Hi Lynn33,

XX

She

They are going to stay put.  They are far enough inland to avoid any surge issues and in a newer home with hurricane glass, etc.  I don't know that they would be better off in Orlando.  My mother is 83 and the thought of the drive, etc. is causing alot of stress.  I wish I was down there.  It comforts me that all the neighbors will be there.  I've already written off our place. :(

I'm going to have to get out of the house today and away from the tv.  My watching/worrying is not going to change anything.

Are you all prepared?  At least as best you can be?

Hi Lynn,

Sounds like your Mom and and Sister will be okay.  You are right that driving anywhere in Florida right now is a nightmare.  And the media hype!  I know they have to get the word out, make folks take it seriously and so forth, but it seems like overkill to me.  I watch a weather channel update morning and again in the evening, but in between I have to turn it off.  We are as prepared as we can get.  We have a newer house, built to the post Andrew stricter codes.  But we are on a small lake and the rising water will be anxiety provoking.  We expect some roof and screen damage at the least.  But overall I think we will be okay.

BTW, I read your progress log and am heartened and inspired by your journey.  Prior to coming to Florida, we were Virginians and familiar with some of the areas you describe.  We had many good years there and are here because of job requirements.

She

I am in the Orlando area, in the east county.  Latest info is that Irma will make a beeline through where I am.

We are staying in place.  I have done all the preparations that are recommended.  I will hunker down and ride it out.

I am thinking about all my fellow Floridians.  Almost 100% of us will be affected by this storm, some more than others.  I hope you have either evacuated in the high risk coastal areas or have battened down the hatches where you are.  Be safe and let us know an update if you can both during and after.

She

Be safe!  You are in our thoughts.  :smitten:

She,

I'm sure you'll be ok with the lake.  They say that it is moving fast enough that water won't be a bad issue.  Well...what can we do?  Just hope for the best.  I sure hope your lake stays down.

Yes, I really like Virginia.  We've been here 35+yrs.  I was just getting used to (and loving) spending winters in SWFL.  The thought of starting from scratch down there is saddening...but it will be what it will be.  I'm heading to some park trails along the water shortly - I need to get out of the house for a few hours!

Will be thinking of you and all of the buddies being impacted by this. :smitten:

Although I am not in Florida at the moment I did just close on a house in the SE of Florida, Delray Beach, very close to the ocean and on a canal. Since this is an older house we were getting it ready for some large scale renovations, some demolition has already started so it is pretty well unprotected and I am expecting damage if not complete destruction.

At least I am fully covered with hurricane and flood insurance, so many people in Florida seem to roll the dice on insurance?

Personally I may still be impacted by the hurricane as I am in North Carolina where it is expected to hit early next week.

Be safe friends.

2trusting 

She

Be safe!  You are in our thoughts.  :smitten:

Thank you Pianogirl!

She

Although I am not in Florida at the moment I did just close on a house in the SE of Florida, Delray Beach, very close to the ocean and on a canal. Since this is an older house we were getting it ready for some large scale renovations, some demolition has already started so it is pretty well unprotected and I am expecting damage if not complete destruction.

At least I am fully covered with hurricane and flood insurance, so many people in Florida seem to roll the dice on insurance?

Personally I may still be impacted by the hurricane as I am in North Carolina where it is expected to hit early next week.

Be safe friends.

2trusting

Hi 2trusting,

Glad you are fully insured.  So are we, I have always made sure I was over insured.  I know the area where your Florida home is and it is definitely at risk.  But since it is due to be remodeled, perhaps some damage would then be covered by insurance?  BTW, we used to own an oceanfront home in Nags Head, so we fully know the storm risks and the difficulties of staying fully insured in NC.  Hope you fare well in both states.

She

Hugs and prayers to all - maybe we Floridians should have a get together (if we could get ourselves out of the house) and celebrate when this is over.

This is surreal.  I don't think I should watch the news but I can't seem to turn it off.  8-12ft storm surge headed for my ground floor beachfront condo. :(  It's going to be gone.  I sure wish my mother and sister weren't in SWFL.  I'm very worried about them.  I don't know how I'm going to make it thru the next few days.  I'd like to go to sleep until Tuesday.  I'm very nervous.

Hi,

I live right off of the coast in Miami. We drove to Gainesville yesterday. It took 13 hours. We only have the hotel we are in until Sunday. We are moving to a hotel in Tallahassee for two days. Hopefully everything will be okay.

I can't watch it anymore on TV either. I can't run from it anymore either. I think by the time it gets up

Here it shouldn't be too bad.

Holding my dose for a few days. I went through Andrew and my house fell down around me. Don't want to go through that again.

Everybody stay safe

Jenny

Hugs and prayers to all - maybe we Floridians should have a get together (if we could get ourselves out of the house) and celebrate when this is over.

Thank you Kgirl!  Enjoy your time in Colorado if you can, although I would think thoughts of what's happing back home might make that difficult.  Yes, we will all need to celebrate afterwards.

XX

She

Hi,

I live right off of the coast in Miami. We drove to Gainesville yesterday. It took 13 hours. We only have the hotel we are in until Sunday. We are moving to a hotel in Tallahassee for two days. Hopefully everything will be okay.

I can't watch it anymore on TV either. I can't run from it anymore either. I think by the time it gets up

Here it shouldn't be too bad.

Holding my dose for a few days. I went through Andrew and my house fell down around me. Don't want to go through that again.

Everybody stay safe

Jenny

Jenny Glad you are away from the coast and I think you'll be okay in Gainesville and Tallahassee.  Stay safe and I think its an excellent plan to hold your dose until life gets back to normal.

She

I'm in the Tampa Bay area, I watched news tonight, it's all headed for us.

Tonight the Energy Co. Called telling us what number to call and they said we will most likely lose power :(

The fridge and freezer are full so will probably lose that. It's all supposed to start Sunday, I think. I'm really scared :(

People...25 years ago Andrew (a hurricane smaller than Irma) took out Homestead Air force Base, imagine an Air force Base. I was station there.

BTW I live in Denver Colorado and the weather is beautiful

I will be praying for all you that think you can ride this storm :idiot:

Take care

People...25 years ago Andrew (a hurricane smaller than Irma) took out Homestead Air force Base, imagine an Air force Base. I was station there.

BTW I live in Denver Colorado and the weather is beautiful

I will be praying for all you that think you can ride this storm :idiot:

Take care

This rates as one of the cruelest, most off-color remarks I've seen to date on this forum!

What is your purpose for even being on BB?