Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Living with fires and toxic smoke, hurricanes

[ba...]

For the buddies who are in extreme weather conditions, hello!!!!

Wanted to start a mini topic for those of us affected by various extreme weather conditions at this time. To vent, to encourage each other.

I live in Northern Colorado in the high mountains, we have 2 fires in our county at this time that are enormous, and at least 1 wont be out until it starts snowing.  Had one fire 2 week ago that was about a mile from the ranch I live on. We are in extreme fire danger for more activity due to dryness and very high temperatures. Additionally, the entire state is inundated with smoke from Montana.

We even have ash up here.

Our air quality is too poor to engage in outside activities.

My routine is completely thrown by this. I am an avid cyclist, and have not been able to bike in the mornings for 3 days, it is hurting me. It's how I get through the morning anxiety, and without that activity, not doing so well.

Additionally, have the headache, irritated eyes, raw throat and chest pain from the smoke, even though I am staying indoors. My friends who are going to the gym for exercise to compensate are finding the workouts harder, due to our compromised air quality.

That's my vent. I hate this situation, not only for the obvious environmental change taking place, but how it affects my life and routine.

Would love to hear from other buddies.

Wow buddie, understand this one.  Just posted on another thread.  The 11 am hurricane update shows the eye of IRMA potentially going right by my house, great huh!  Staying in the AC now, when the power goes out we are in the sweltering heat for the duration.  Have enough supplies to stay sane and positive thoughts are the stand by for the time being.

Sweet pea

I might expound on the damage we have had over the years later, just need to "chill" for now.

I'm in Northern California and forest fires are raging, air quality is bad, roads are closed.  At the moment I'm in the mountains...no fires nearby.  We had violent thunderstorms last night, just the thing you don't want in dry September in the thickly forested mountains.  More t-storms expected today, so I'm headed home to the smoky valley before they start up again.

There are places I really want to go right now, but the roads to those places are closed to large out-of-control forest fires.  I'm sorry for the loss of beautiful scenery for the residents of these historic mountain towns, not to mention their homes and businesses.

All of this extreme weather is devastating.

I live on the Gulf Coast (Corpus Christi) to be exact.

We were very fortunate that Harvey decided to take a turn; however, our blessing was someone else's devastation; although, we weren't a direct hit...20 miles north which would be Portland, Ingleside, Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, and Rockport....THEY WERE ALL "HIT HARD"! They were left in shambles.

Many of these towns are still without electricity.

I've never been around a Forest Fire. I can't imagine how scary it must be.

I pray daily for "ALL" who have suffered any type of loss. It warms my heart the way this country is capable of coming together for the greater good of those in need.

Hoping that everyone stays safe, and can recover from any and all hardships that you may have been affected by.

My heart goes out to you all.

Stay Safe...

Fluter  :smitten:

I'm almost 9 months out  took a rescue dose of Klonopin .125mg. today to help me get through possible evacuation of hurricane Irma. I'm scared and hope we don't loose our home.

Water and gas are now limited. Bread shelves almost empty.

Please pray for us here in Florida

I live in central PA.  We have severe storms here nearly every other day.  All day and night thunder and lightening and heavy rain.  I've got roof leaks from all the rain and it causes me severe stress. 

Baddove

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I'm in FL and hour by hour it seems to get worse w this Hurricane

Coming :(

It's huge. Usually I can get a grocery delivery next day, not now, by Fri, there would be no water left.. the Governor has declared us a state of Emergency. I have no idea if it's coming here but it's looking bad. And like sweet pea said, if we lose power, we sit in sweltering 90 degree weather until power goes back on.

This is a CAT5 hurricane, it's not a matter of rain, it's also wind and wind gusts.

I'm really sorry about the fires you have and the smoke :(

Wow...so sorry for all of us dealing with these fears and things really out of our control. I live in Oregon near the Columbia Gorge and we have had some crazy fires, smoke, ash and it's hard to breath. It has for sure disrupted our routine, but others in Texas and now possible Fla, have really got a lot to deal with. So much of the PNW is on fire, Hurricanes looming and hitting. It's just all a bit much!  :idiot:

Praying for you all that are in the path of Irma. We may not be able to control these things, but we can control how we handle it. Breath, the best you can, plan ahead and stay calm while you have to deal with what comes. Thats the best one can do.

Blessings & protection :smitten:

My fellow Floridians - hopefully we will all be safe but it looks like we won't have power if the storm hits.  I also live in South Florida but ironically had long term vacation plans to head to CO. as of tomorrow so it looks like I am heading to the forest fires.  As I used to say during my taper if it is not one thing it is another.

I have been in forest fires when we lived out west in California - it was terrifying.

There are no good disasters they are all horrible to live through and each has its own form of terror - all we can do is be here for each other and remember that we are one world and one people. 

When you have severe anxiety problems from benzo brain-damage, it's nearly impossible to try to calm yourself down.  My coping skills are nearly zero now.  I never used to be like this.

Feels like we are living in a dystopian movie.

In my case (fires/toxic smoke,)  and the ever present threat of evacuation, how does one calm? Plus the burning/blurry eyes, throat and headache, the breathing and chest problems feel so much like withdraw symptoms.

We now have a 3ed fire in my county.

Additionally, our empathy for those more severely impacted than us, who have lost homes, pets, everything. And not just in the US, but worldwide.

The fear that the environment is never going to recover, and climate change has reached the tipping point where our planet is going to continue in self destruct mode.

And for me, my loss of my routine, and being house bound.

This is a horrible time, and it's not just a day or 4 days, the conditions are long term. Life has thrown us quite a challenge/lesson.

Have been thinking about how to cope in altered circumstances. Coping meaning replacing our routine with something effective, and managing the stress and fear. Not a lot of ideas.

Will be thinking of everyone going through all these terrible fires, hurricanes, storms and floods.  My parents and brother and some friends all live in south Florida and I'm very worried for them.  They have been through other hurricanes and are as prepared as they can be for Irma.  My brother is hoping that Irma "weakens" to a cat 3 level as he thinks they could manage that better.  I have been through hurricanes in North Carolina and close to fires here in Colorado.  My heart goes out to you.

My fellow Floridians - hopefully we will all be safe but it looks like we won't have power if the storm hits.  I also live in South Florida but ironically had long term vacation plans to head to CO. as of tomorrow so it looks like I am heading to the forest fires.  As I used to say during my taper if it is not one thing it is another.

I have been in forest fires when we lived out west in California - it was terrifying.

There are no good disasters they are all horrible to live through and each has its own form of terror - all we can do is be here for each other and remember that we are one world and one people.

Hope you'll be ok K girl , your mom too  :smitten:

If you have time or attention to answer .... Did you find K sedating for a couple of hours after taking it ? I am taking 3 X day , equal doses . When I was on it before I found once at night was t enough , I'd get interdose WDs ,

Love and prayers to you 🙏🏻 and all those in Florida and fire places . I lost my home in 2015 to the Valley fire in no Cal .... That was the trauma that set me on the benzo journey .... These things a re terrifying I know 🙏🏻

This earth and its environment has become too violent and harsh for me, and others--just look at the destruction from these hurricanes.  I feel like I'm being tortured by the weather all the time. 

Yes, dystopian is how it feels here too.  We've been in the smoke for a long time it seems but today it was exceptionally thick and smelly.  The weight and appearance of it makes me feel worried and I'm getting waves of sorrow for all the suffering being caused by these natural disasters all over.  They evacuated a town 1.5 hours from here today, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to flee your home.  I may find out if it keeps coming this way.  I'm feeling so sad for those in Florida and Texas too.  Terrible times.  I have never seen a summer like this and I'm not young, it's been hot as blazes all summer with very few days of decent weather and precious little rain.  I am in Western Canada by the way. 

I'm in Northern California and forest fires are raging, air quality is bad, roads are closed.  At the moment I'm in the mountains...no fires nearby.  We had violent thunderstorms last night, just the thing you don't want in dry September in the thickly forested mountains.  More t-storms expected today, so I'm headed home to the smoky valley before they start up again.

There are places I really want to go right now, but the roads to those places are closed to large out-of-control forest fires.  I'm sorry for the loss of beautiful scenery for the residents of these historic mountain towns, not to mention their homes and businesses.

Chal:

Do you live anywhere close to my brother? He lives in a very small N. Cal town called Little River. I don't think it's far from Novato.....

In Hawaii we often get a volcanic haze that we call VOG when the wind shifts the wrong way it blows all the smoky discharge from the active volcano on the Big Island all the way up the island chain to Oahu. I live a couple of miles from a mountain range that is only about 2,000' to 3,000' high, but rises almost straight up in some places. The mountains dominate the view from my bedroom, but when the VOG gets real bad I can barely see an outline of them. People get all kinds of respiratory problems from the VOG and the effects seem to change from time to time, perhaps because the chemical composition of the fumes. This has been going on for decades, but it is Mother Nature and she will do what she wants.