Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sports Chat Room

[ve...]

It is that phenomenon of the 12th man, Vertigo...that makes the Aggies stand up for a whole game!  We have lots of young friends at A&M right now...have never seen school spirit like theirs!

Now...about that dog ::)

~Leena

Hi Leena.  I understand school spirit but these guys (Aggi fans) were  just plain rude.  Many people did not wish to stand up the whole game to see over them.  It was freezing cold as you know (and very windy). Security came and asked them to sit down and they still refused.  I understand making a lot of noise or standing and cheering after a big play but the whole game??? Ludicrous and unthoughtful.  If they all wanna do it in their stadium, if its a tradition, I understand but after being asked to sit, show a little respect for others, no?.  I paid over $100 a ticket, not to have to look at the back of somebody's head.  Just my take on it.  Fortunately, by second half, we were able to move to other seats since some had left due to the cold.  As for the dog, I promised my boy a dog if Texas won, which did not happen :(.  However, it was a close game and I do think we'll probably get one in the next two years.  There's always next season :laugh:.  

Cheers,

Vertigo

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [op...]

• [Mi...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone hear about the collapse of the Metrodome's roof this morning (home of the Minnesota Vikings)?  Apparently the heavy snow created a tear which caused the air supported "dome" to deflate.

Fortunately no one was injured!

Hey football fans...I wanted to share this article with you about a high school football game that took place here in Austin last month.  I only recently heard about it, and went to the Austin Statesman archives to find the article.  It speaks for itself :)  Both of our sons once played football for the home team!

Commentary: Football field was common ground for Knights, Indians

By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 9:53 p.m. Monday, Nov. 8, 2010

The boys sat on the gym floor and ate pizza together. They talked about the game they had just played. Adversaries for nearly three hours, the football players from Regents and the Giddings State School now were just kids having fun.

Any contrasts between the players for Regents and their visitors from Giddings weren't readily apparent. On this night, they were brothers in arms, laughing, joking, smiling, enjoying the feast before them. It didn't matter that one team represented a private school in an upscale neighborhood of southwest Austin while the other team consisted of young men who have been incarcerated in a juvenile prison.

On a cool autumn night this past Thursday, the Knights and Indians were bound by one common thread: football.

And although it was Senior Night for the Knights, the Regents boosters made a pact to root for the visitors. They wore royal blue to support the Indians and they made posters for each player and trainer. The Regents fans also created a large banner for the Giddings State School players to burst through in pregame festivities, baked brownies for the Indians and bought shirts for the visiting coaches that had "Indians" stitched across the front.

Regents wore its road white uniforms on its home field, and let Giddings State School occupy the home bench. Knights cheerleaders, meanwhile, pulled royal blue T-shirts over their outfits and cheered for the visitors.

This was a display of unbridled compassion from the fans and players of one Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools team toward the players and coaches of another.

"At first, it felt a little weird," said Lisa Moore, whose son Luke is a Regents wide receiver and safety, "but the fans quickly got into it and didn't miss a beat. Once they saw that the parents of our senior players were embracing this gift to Giddings, the rest of the fans joined in."

In an e-mail to Regents boosters, Moore wrote that players for Giddings State School "don't have pregame meals from Chipotle or fancy uniforms for both home and away games. (In fact, they don't have ANY home games.) No parents making posters or ringing cowbells. Giddings is part of the Texas Youth Commission and houses the boys that the courts have labeled as violent offenders.

"They live behind a 14-foot fence wired with motion detectors and patrolled 24 hours a day by guards. They get to play football only if they have served at least half of their sentence, follow the rules and are willing to practice while it's still dark outside. This is because their after-school time is filled with therapy sessions, work duty and meetings with caseworkers. Their roster can change from week to week as boys become ineligible due to behavioral issues or as boys are released or even moved to adult prisons. So each game they get to play could be their last."

Indians coach Sandy Brown said his team operates on a "shoestring" budget, and guards surround the practice field to make sure no one ventures off. It's a far cry from Giddings High School, which receives all of the town's attention on game nights.

"I have been here 31 years and although some schools kind of adopt our kids and do things for them, it is rarely to the extent that Regents went to," Brown said.

"It really makes you appreciate the school and the coaches. You realize we're all kind of in a brotherhood of helping young people to grow up and achieve their dreams, regardless of where we came from or what we've done."

Regents (9-1) defeated the Indians 51-0, but after the game, the boys gathered together and prayed. Regents players offered their opponents gift bags filled with cookies and a Bible. In each book, Regents students had written personal messages of encouragement.

Then the two teams devoured 50 pizzas.

Brown said Regents' generosity and sportsmanship left a positive impression on his team.

"I don't tell many people this but I hit a policeman with a beer bottle when I was 16, so I know what it's like to be in trouble," Brown said. "But what I tell my kids is that although you can't change anything about yesterday, you can change tomorrow if you want to. So anytime someone like Regents shows the kind of love and respect for my kids like they did last Thursday night, it gives you a real sense of appreciation for that school and their coaches."

While the boys from Giddings State School enjoyed their trip to Austin, the players and parents from the home team won more than just a game.

"We got more out of this experience than the Giddings kids probably did," Lisa Moore said. "I hope it is a lesson in servanthood, kindness and generosity that our boys and their families can take with them forever."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TC,

This is a tricky situation for me, see I am a die hard colts fan, and they lost to the Jets last week...but my g/f is a die hard Jets fan and wants me to root for them..and I hate the pats and Tom Brady lol. Guess I should go with the old saying, "always agree with the lady" huh? haha. I'm really looking forward to the bears game though (I have a feeling the pats are going to drop another 40 points on the jets again)

My team is the Greenbay Packers.  What a awesome game last nite!!!!!!  YES  Watching the Bears right now and was hoping Seattle would win.  Was I dreaming!  Looks like another round with THE Bears.  Sure am proud of our Packers.  What a game last nite  :thumbsup:  Linder

Cause they don't like change...they like to stay terrible  ;D ;D

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/MiniRocky/smiley-laughing021.gif

Optimist,

I think it all comes down to if the Jets can run the ball...and I don't think they will be able to..but if they do..they certainly will have a shot...

Btw..I will never root for the Jets or Rex Ryan ever again...:) What a bunch of jerks. :)

TC

Hey TC,

I'm a west coast guy and not really a fan of either team.  Our hopes were on the Seahawks and we all know how that went  :stretcher: Both the Steelers and the Jets have some, ahem...personnel issues (I'm thinking of Roethlisberger and Ward on the Steelers side), but the Jets did beat the Steelers back in December so I think it's really going to depend on how Sanchez plays.  I won't be heartbroken to see either team lose  :D and even though the Steelers are the favorite I think the Jets have a good chance to pull an upset.  Guess we'll find out tomorrow  ::) 

As far as who I want to see win it all, I'm probably with everyone else in going with the Packers since I haven't found a good reason to root against them  :laugh:

RV

I think the Jets could win, but the Jets victory earlier in the season was over a Steelers team without two of their top defensive players including their best defense player and maybe the best in the league. Troy will be all over the field tommorow wreaking havoc. :)

I don't really have much of a rooting interest either, the Packers are a nice story though. :)

TC

A few playoff thoughts...:)

The Packers....this team is peaking at the right time. They had to win the last week just to get in the playoffs. The Bears played all their starters in that final week, with Lovie Smith saying they wanted to keep the Bears out of the playoffs. The Bears  held Green Bay to ten points, yet could only score three. Everyone raves about the Bears D, but statistically the Packers have the better defense.

The Bears....the Jay Cutler and Mike Martz factor....the Bears do have a shot at winning if they keep the ball on the ground and go with a balanced attack..If Martz gets all pass happy and puts the game solely on Cutler's shoulders that is a big gamble...if the Jay Cutler from last week shows up...he could carry the Bears..if the Cutler from most of the regular season shows up...as they say in Jersey...FUGGADABOUTIT!

The Jets...these guys are pretty darn good..unfortunately most of the nation doesn't know this as they can't seen to get out of their own way...this franchise has had problems with alleged sexual harassment of a female report...Rex Ryan's foot fetish videos and Brett Farve allegedly acting inappropriately towards a Jet's employee (yes, I know he is with the Vikings, but that event happened when he was a Jet) and they just simply can't seem to shut up..all they do is talk...if these guys actually just played football..and didn't pretend they were pro wrestlers....they might be considered a great team....

The Steelers...this team has won six Superbowls...a class organization....in direct contrast the loudmouth Jets who haven't won in nearly 50 years.....Troy Palomalu and James Harrison are the key on defense....Palomalu was injured when he Jets beat them earlier in the season....I think Troy P is a huge factor today in the Steelers victory....and the Steelers have engaged in zero trash talking all way...

No change in what I think the outcomes will be...

Packers over the Bears.....two great teams with great football traditions....in a classic battle

Steelers over the Loudmouths aka the Jets......substance over talk

TC