Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sports Chat Room

[ve...]

Hi.  I've looked a bit around forum and can't seem to find a thread about sports.  Seems like sports is often a good way to distract ourselves during and post benzo taper.   I happen to be post taper now but still ironing out a few kinks.  Went to a sports bar yesterday and watched some really close college football games.

LSU beating Tennessee in the final seconds

Texas gave Oklahoma more than they expected after playing terribly against UCLA last week,  almost recovering a fumble in the final minute...

Northwestern managed a 2 point victory over Minnesota (sorry Albie)

Michigan State and Wisconsin battled closely for much of the game

Michigan and Indiana was another close one yesterday

Washington handed it to USC with a game winning field goal last night

On the baseball front, the Atlanta Braves seem to be choking but can still salvage the playoff wildcard if they can win this afternoon.  We'll see how the Padres do against the Giants.

Just wondering if anyone would like to post what their fave teams are in whatever sport and comment on whatever to do with sports.

Some of the teams I follow are the Lakers in the NBA

Texas, Cal Berkely, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia in college football

Braves, Dodgers, Giants, Redsox for baseball

Falcons, Niners, Cowboys (root against them :laugh:)Packers in the NFL

Might be nice to take a break from benzo obsessions and talk a little sports!

Vertigo

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [op...]

• [Mi...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.  I've looked a bit around forum and can't seem to find a thread about sports.  Seems like sports is often a good way to distract ourselves during and post benzo taper.   I happen to be post taper now but still ironing out a few kinks.  Went to a sports bar yesterday and watched some really close college football games.

Northwestern managed a 2 point victory over Minnesota (sorry Albie)...

...On the baseball front, the Atlanta Braves seem to be choking but can still salvage the playoff wildcard if they can win this afternoon.  We'll see how the Padres do against the Giants.

Just wondering if anyone would like to post what their fave teams are in whatever sport and comment on whatever to do with sports.

Some of the teams I follow are the Lakers in the NBA

Texas, Cal Berkely, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia in college football

Braves, Dodgers, Giants, Redsox for baseball

Falcons, Niners, Cowboys (root against them :laugh:)Packers in the NFL

Might be nice to take a break from benzo obsessions and talk a little sports!

Vertigo

Amen to that, brother.

Though you are a MUCH more extensive follower of teams than I.

Nonetheless, no apologies necessary about the lowly Gophers. Any team that can be beaten by Northwestern deserves to go nowhere.

My teams are the Twins and the Vikings. That's really about it. I used to play hockey and loved it, but never got into watching it that much.

Twins? Jury is still out. They're respectable, for sure. But really good? We'll have to see. They can execute such sound baseball, at times they can look almost invincible. At other times, they just don't seem deep enough in talent to compete with the best of the best. Depends which team shows up.

Vikings? Who knows? They're a crapshoot. So far much too one-dimensional. Favre??? Again, a huge question mark. If he could duplicate anything close to last year, that would be stellar. But will the ankle hold up? Will the arm hold up? Will he be savvy enough not to try to thread the needle with throws that would require an arm 10 years younger? We'll see. Definitely need somebody to step up at wide receiver, though. And what if any kind of injury were to happen to Adrian Peterson??? I think this would be a sub-500 team without Peterson.

But here's the question I really want to toss out there:

Is anybody else sick and tired of the NY Yankees?  I mean, why don't they just BUY all of MLB, take all the players they want and let the rest of us small-market teams i.e. every team except the Yankees, divide up all the rest of the players. They might as well do that since they buy virtually all the big-name free-agent talent every year to ensure their dynasty. They'll probably knock the Twins out again this year... if we face them at all. Though I surely hope it's a David and Goliath story in the making. 'Cause up here in the northland of walleyes, ice fishin' and lutefisk, we're tired (and jealous as hell) of the big names, the Big Apple and all their titles.

Peace out,

Albie

I like this thread already....

Here are some of the my favorite teams...

MLB....The Saint Louis Cardinals and generally anyone playing the Yankees :)

NFL.....New England Patriots, New Orlean Saints and the St. Louis Rams

NhL.....Detroit Red Wings, Saint Louis Blues

NBA....boring..could care less ;)

College Football....Florida....Mizzou...and team from the SEC :)

Least favorite players in sports....Terrell Owens (shaddup already) ..Bret Favre (waa..waa..retire...unretire waa ..waa...repeat..enough already_....Micheal Vick...(no comments needed) :)

TC

MLB....The Saint Louis Cardinals and generally anyone playing the Yankees :)

NFL.....New England Patriots, New Orlean Saints and the St. Louis Rams

NhL.....Detroit Red Wings, Saint Louis Blues

NBA....boring..could care less ;)

College Football....Florida....Mizzou...and team from the SEC :)

Least favorite players in sports....Terrell Owens (shaddup already) ..Bret Favre (waa..waa..retire...unretire waa ..waa...repeat..enough already_....Micheal Vick...(no comments needed) :)

TC

Oh yeah, TC. You and I think very much alike.

Saints won a close one after losing to the Falcons last week.  Longhorns played respectably given the challenges.  It's a rebuilding year but maybe they can improve each week. Defense looked better than last week!

Yea, I agree about rooting against the Yankees.  I also root against the Cowboys.  Part of it is living in San Francisco during the Montana and Young days.  I'll have to disagree about basketball being boring!

TC.  Don't you mean the Los Angeles Rams :pokey::laugh:

I agree there are problems with Favre but he can deliver.  I wouldn't want him on the other team!

Cheers,

V (NM)

I'm up in Northern Calif and a big time Giants fan (NL West Division champs!!!), so today was a good day  :thumbsup:  I do feel a bit sad for the Padres because they had a good team too and their low payroll made them an underdog.  Looks like the Giants will be taking on the Braves on Thursday Verti - should be a good series.

Go Giants!

RV

Hey Optimist. 

Yep, we were rooting for the Giants to knock off the Padres yesterday.  Braves barely got past the Phillies yesterday!  Anyway, good for Bobby Cox to have one more round of the playoffs before retiring.  I'm not a big baseball fan but will root for the Braves.

May the best team win!

Vertigo (no more)

I also root against the Cowboys.  Part of it is living in San Francisco during the Montana and Young days. 

We were living in Sacramento during those days.  Although I grew up in Dallas, I don't root for them anymore.  I never did get over the firing of Tom Landry. :D

Hi Missy. I used to work one day a week in Sacramento.  Miss the Bay Area :(.  However, was rooting for Atlanta against the 49ers yesterday.  That was a tough one for SF to lose and go 0-4 after leading the whole game and playing the Saints tough :tickedoff:.  The Cowboys were ranked very highly to start this season.  I think they beat the Texans last week.  I also read you are still a Longhorn fan.  Did you go to any games against Oklahoma or in Austin when you lived in Texas?

Hook em Horns!

V

My son keeps begging to go to the big game at the state fair.  Is it at the Cotton Bowl? We may try to go to the A&M game if we end up in Texas for Thanksgiving this year.  We'll see. The Longhorns are going to need to find more offense to have a chance in that one.  Even though Oklahoma State beat the Aggies last Thursday, A&M still scored a lot of points.

Cheers,

Vertigo (no more)

V,

LA Rams? No way...LA is the only city I know of to lose three football teams.....how is that even possible? :)

Sure they lost one in a trade....but they legit lost the other two.....how can a city that big not fill up a stadium?

TC

V,

The Niners were supposed to run away with the division..and they flat out stink...

It looks like the NFC West is going to be so bad that maybe 7 wins...takes the division....7 and 9 might earn a run at the playoffs....kinda sad...:)

TC

Hey TC.  Point conceded about the Rams and good riddens to the Raiders :thumbsup:.  The 49ers, however, do not stink.  They almost beat the Saints and should not have lost to the Falcons on Sunday.  They should be 2-2 at a minimum.  I don't know who they are playing next but I would bet on them if I had a bookie or lived in Vegas, unless they are so demoralized after the last two weeks and just plain give up.  I think they'll play their hearts out and cover what will no doubt be a good line.

Best,

Vertigo (no more)

V,

The Niners are winless and will continue to be winless after losing this weekend to the Eagles..

0 and 5...stink :) They lost to the Seahawks..the Rams demolished the Seahawks without their top reciever...and with Steve Jackson severly limited...due to a groin injury.....and the Rams not only didn't have 53 players on game day..they played one shy of the 45.....due to injuries..and had the Rams not just let up in the 4th quarter..they would have won 27 to 3....instead they ran the clock out...with a first in goal inside the ten....and took the 20 to 3 win...and the Rams really aren't that good...they were hoping to win 3 or 4 games this year...now it looks like they will be in sole possession of first after next week..

It may take only 8 wins to make the playoffs in the NFC West...but I don't think anyone has ever started 0 and 5.....and made the playoffs...and it probably won't happen this year either..

I like Mike Singletary..but he appears to be in way over his head...and the Niners need a quarterback back....and maybe some recievers....Frank Gore is great....but....that team has horrible defense..and is basically a one trick pony..

Btw...I thought they were going to run away with the division..until the season started and I saw how bad they are...they are averaging 13 points a game...(worst or 2nd worst in the NFL) and giving up 26 (27th in the NFL)...you won't beat anyone scoring 13 points a game....I just looked at their schedule....they have upcoming games with the Raiders...Eagles...Denver and Carolina...at best I think they beat the Raiders and Caroline...which still makes then 2-6....and pretty much done for the year at the midway point...however..the schedule is soft for the 2nd half of the year...so they could end up a legit 8 and 8....and I think that could be enough....it really depends on if they can beat anyone in the division....we may see three teams or four teams end up 8 and 8 in that division..

I don't think it matters who wins the NFC West..that division is bad..they will get bounced in the first round....

The Rams were supposed to be horrible...yet..could legit be 4 and 0....they lost both games on the final drive of the 4th quarter..I am not saying the Rams are good..by any stretch..they have a way to go....but right now they are the best team in the division....now they will probably lose to Detroit ;)

TC

TC

Randy Moss traded..yikes...

I am a big Patriot fan...and while I get why they traded him.....I think this seriously hurts the team...

It will be interesting to see how Favre and Moss get along...as the Vikings haven't been very good yet..but Moss might help them turn that around in quick fashion...

TC

Am in a bit of a hurry but I had to log in to say Niners win their first game this weekend!  Just checked the lines and I was surprised to see that they are 3.5 favorites over Philadelphia.   Maybe it's because Vick is injured.  The 49ers will pull it off this weekend.  Their defense will step up!   I like the Moss trade.  Hopefully Favre can put something together in his last, not his last, last season :laugh:.

Go Niners!  I'm going to fly to Vegas to plunk down some coin on this one (NOT).  However, Philadelphia will lose.  Didn't score many points against Washington, did they?  49ers win 3 of the next 4!

Gotta run for now,

Verti

Hehhee...

Yeah maybe favored do to Vick being out..how crazy is that.....they trade McNabb....to let Kolb play..then go with Vick after Kolb goes down...now it's back to the original plan of Kolb.....

I'll go with Philly in a rout of the hapless niners...

but....the upcoming schedule is kinda soft...so you may pile up some wins midseason with the Niners...

TC

The baseball playoffs are pretty interesting....here on day one...I don't really have a favorite to pull for...other than booing the Reds....but it would be nice to see Texas finally win a post season series..and maybe see Bobby Cox go out on a winning note....

Texas won today...and right now....Halladay just no hit the Reds :)....a good day for sports for me...hahah

TC

Randy Moss traded..yikes...

I am a big Patriot fan...and while I get why they traded him.....I think this seriously hurts the team...

It will be interesting to see how Favre and Moss get along...as the Vikings haven't been very good yet..but Moss might help them turn that around in quick fashion...

TC

Yep, as a Vikings fan, this Randy Moss trade's pretty interesting. Apparently Favre had lobbied pretty hard to get Moss while Favre was still in Green Bay. What a couple of characters! This should be interesting. Randy is Randy, of course, and all the baggage that that implies. Nonetheless, I don't think anybody doubts that he has all the talent in the world. Will he show up to play, week in and week out?  Tough to say. But this has to help the Vikes. Besides, Favre loves to have a favorite target, even when he is hitting a host of receivers -- he, more than some QBs really likes to have a go-to guy. Moss should give him that. Go Vikes!

Twins baseball tonight! Go Twins!  Damn them Yankees.

Living in NorCal, I've heard a lot of chatter on sports talk about the 49ers recently.  A local writer was recently saying that with the firing of the offensive coordinator and several players public voicing displeasure about the current situation, team moral is pretty low.  So this could be part of a downward spiral, or perhaps a turning point.  It's sort of like w/d...you don't know if there's a wave or a window lurking around the corner :).  If I were heading to Vegas my bet would be wave.  After the Raiders moved to LA I kind of gave up on football and don't follow it much anymore (though unfortunately I still somewhat consider myself a Raider fan and occasionally watch bits and pieces of their games  :pokey: )  And speaking of Moss, I felt like he came to Oakland and took the money with giving back much effort in return.  Of course he didn't have much of a team around him so I guess it's hard to really fault him too much. 

I'm a much bigger baseball fan and am looking forward to the playoffs - especially since the Giants are getting ready to exert their superiority onto the Braves  :laugh: If you're looking for a reason to root for them remember that they haven't won a world series since 1954 and never since moving west (lovable losers).  They got rid of their toxic superstar (I won't mention his name but it rhymes with Onds  :D ), and most "experts" pick them to finish near the bottom of their division (underdogs!).  Besides, I'm sure Bobby Cox was looking forward to a nice early retirement, so why prolong it  ::)  Need any more reasons?

Go Giants!

Hey Optimist.  You guys got lucky yesterday,eh?  I didn't stay up for it.  How ridiculous to start a game at 9:30PM our time?  Those games should be starting at 5:30 on the W. Coast, not 6:30!  We get skrewed with Monday night football too.  Anyway, seems it was a close one. I turned it off in the 4th inning.

As for the niners, I think this weekend is the turning point for them.  Aside from the Seattle game, they played well enough to win the other games, no?  Philadelphia will lose on Sunday.

Cheers,

V(NM)