Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Musicians here?

[Li...]

I am fond of playing music. I mostly play jazz and classical music. I play saxophone. I have an soprano (Magenta), alto (Yamaha) and tenor saxophone (Conn Ladyface). As bonus I have a Clarinet and an Akai Ewi 5000 synth sax. I am really curious if we can form a band here? 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [At...]

• [co...]

• [Be...]

• [pr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I'm a rock bass player, guitar player and drummer. I listen to and love jazz, but can't read music and don't know too much theory. I love jaco pastorius, sonny rollins, and john coltrane. I'm down to talk music, I'm just not sure how we could form a band. That being said, I have recording capabilities and I can send and receive files.

Hey Inbarswetrust,

Nice to know you play such different instruments. I am also fond of John Coltrane. I was kind of joking about forming a band, but what about the name 'Benzoband'? Sounds good, not?. And perhaps we can mix some of our recordings. I also have the possibility to record my saxophones. But Let's see who else will respond to this thread... :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
I play guitar. Been playing 30 years, but the last couple years have seen no guitar playing for me since battling this beast. Once I start seeing more improvements and I get my desire to enjoy things I used to, I will definitely play again. I can't wait. Without music, I feel I am missing out on n so much in life. I look at all my guitars hanging in n the wall collecting dust and it makes me sad. One day damn it, one day!!!

Hey Billy,

Yes, I worked as a computer programmer for 20 years, but my biggest hobby and passion has always been music. I wouldn't call myself a musician. I wouldn't play shows, etc, but I just loved getting home after a stressful day at work and just sitting at the keyboards, improvising music, and creating small songs, learning how to do arrangements with all the MIDI/soft synth PC-based stuff, and I loved those years, and I totally flourished. It almost seems that I started getting more depressed and anxious as I started playing less and listening to music less. Back during my really good years, I really felt happy with my work, hobbies, etc. I just hate how things unraveled like this. For me the music had the power to get me out of really bad depressive episodes, and I feel that I had to keep playing/composing/listening more than taking the darn ativan. I think that my love for music could have helped me out by itself, and I wish I immersed myself into it more.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've never performed, so I would hesitate to call myself a musician, but I have played violin, viola, and piano from a very young age. I've done wedding gigs before (background music at the receptions as well as featured in the actual weddings) as well as competitions. I play almost all classical with a side of fiddling. :) I also own a guitar (Yamaha, but an inexpensive beginner one), a mountain dulcimer, and a gorgeous cello. Those three are ones I'm still learning how to play. I haven't made much time to play in the past 6-7 years though due to being so busy with life.

I also teach lessons. Miss those days when I taught regularly. Since having moved, I've thought more about starting to teach private lessons again, since we now live in a much less rural area (i.e., I can charge more realistic prices for my lessons). And I mean, I just miss teaching in general. Private lessons are something I've always enjoyed teaching; started teaching lessons when I was 15 and haven't really stopped. :) Teaching runs in my blood I think.

My goals for music are to start a wind instrument at some point soon (flute, clarinet, or tenor sax are on my list of potentials), and to see about starting to teach private lessons again within the next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Bass player 1st guitar 2nd.  I played metal for many, many years and have now ventured into hard rock/rock.

I don't know how a band can be formed here, but I'm all ears on the idea!

I say we call it the band Post Acute Withdrawal! Lol

I say we call it the band Post Acute Withdrawal! Lol

Yup, PAW for short!

I played rhythm and lead guitar in hard rock/metal band for about ten years. Our band was called "The Yeast Infection" because we were annoying and you couldn't get rid of us, lol. What can I say, I was young. 50/50 mix of covers and originals. I also played a little keyboard in a band called Sea Hag. Maybe I'll dig up some old tapes!

I know a bb on here who might want to join your benzo band.  I'll have to go tell her about this thread.

thanks Beck! :)

yeah tis me. prettydaisys. singer/songwriter/piano player. released only one record so far and still haven't been able to finish my second record. it's all i wish to do before i leave this planet and this body. the only thing i've kept up is songwriting but haven't been able to perform. i also still kept up my website which has been truly a difficult thing to keep up but still have it. unfortunately can't share it on here but i have shared it will a few members who have left here and on facebook.

The Yeast Infection ! Ha! That's awesome!

I'm surprised a punk band never beat you to that name.

Lol, I guess we were punks in a way lol. We had two crowd pleasers-  Cultivating People and This is what the yeast infection says. Now remember I was 18 when I wrote these... I'll let you guess what they are about.  Cultivating people had this chorus---Cultivating people are people that you know, cultivating people are cultivating hope, cultivating people are people in the know, cultivating people are cultivating....dope.  This is what the yeast infection says had sort of a sing along chorus .. This is what the surgeon general says, don't drink! Don't smoke! Don't snort! Don't toke!  This is what the yeast infection says, F*** you! F*** you! F*** you! The crowd loved to yell it out. Every now and then during a show our lead singer would ask the crowd, "What does the yeast infection say?" and hold the mic out to them. We always got  hearty " F*** you!!!" Ah, the indiscretions of youth. But damn it was fun!

Lol, I guess we were punks in a way lol. We had two crowd pleasers-  Cultivating People and This is what the yeast infection says. Now remember I was 18 when I wrote these... I'll let you guess what they are about.  Cultivating people had this chorus---Cultivating people are people that you know, cultivating people are cultivating hope, cultivating people are people in the know, cultivating people are cultivating....dope.  This is what the yeast infection says had sort of a sing along chorus .. This is what the surgeon general says, don't drink! Don't smoke! Don't snort! Don't toke!  This is what the yeast infection says, F*** you! F*** you! F*** you! The crowd loved to yell it out. Every now and then during a show our lead singer would ask the crowd, "What does the yeast infection say?" and hold the mic out to them. We always got  hearty " F*** you!!!" Ah, the indiscretions of youth. But damn it was fun!

I'm guessing by the lyrics that was in the 1980s??  Fun stuff.

I started my 1st band in 85 and I've always said that if it was taken too seriously that the fun would be sucked right out.  Unfortunately, record companies tend to do exactly that.

I know a bb on here who might want to join your benzo band.  I'll have to go tell her about this thread.

yeah tis me. prettydaisys. singer/songwriter/piano player. released only one record so far and still haven't been able to finish my second record. it's all i wish to do before i leave this planet and this body. the only thing i've kept up is songwriting but haven't been able to perform. i also still kept up my website which has been truly a difficult thing to keep up but still have it. unfortunately can't share it on here but i have shared it will a few members who have left here and on facebook.

Prettydaisies,  what genre of music is it that you do?

I'm guessing by the lyrics that was in the 1980s??  Fun stuff.

I started my 1st band in 85 and I've always said that if it was taken too seriously that the fun would be sucked right out.  Unfortunately, record companies tend to do exactly that.

Yeah early 80's, our teenage reaction to "Just say no". I'm 53 now, been married to my highschool sweetheart for 32 years and have eleven children with her. Lol, two beers and 11 o clock is as wild as it gets these days. Ironically, even though we played Sabbath, AC/DC, Priest, etc. my oldest son plays classical piano and has performed with the symphony.

Yeah early 80's, our teenage reaction to "Just say no". I'm 53 now, been married to my highschool sweetheart for 32 years and have eleven children with her. Lol, two beers and 11 o clock is as wild as it gets these days. Ironically, even though we played Sabbath, AC/DC, Priest, etc. my oldest son plays classical piano and has performed with the symphony.

I'm not too far behind you in age (50).  Your son must be an awesome musician, but our generation did grow up with better music!!

Musical loves??

i would say in the vain of Carole King, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Tori Amost and Sarah Maclaclan type of genres.

singer/songwritery stuff. like James Taylor. :)

I liked the music in the 70's and early 80's--all types.  I have a six-string Gibson guitar that I tried to play many times, but the sore fingers always cut it short and I gave up.  Was able to play a bunch of Beatles songs, they were easy. I dated the sound man for a local band named Chicken Clark's Roadapple Rodeo--a country rock type band that played alot of David Allen Coe, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, John Prine, etc.  Country music was cool back then and more original.  Today's country music all sounds the same and it's corny.  This band I ran with played some covers and alot of their own original stuff and opened for Pure Prairie League many times, where I got to meet that band backstage.  I was underaged then and could always get into the bars they played in going into the back door with the band. They put an album out which I was on.  They did a live performance of a song in a studio and I was invited to be in the audience and we were instructed to do hooting and hollering for effect.  Does that count for having been on an album?  My dad was a Polish musician and played the accordian, harmonica and sang.  He taught me how to play that huge accordian when I was a kid. 

I liked the music in the 70's and early 80's--all types.  I have a six-string Gibson guitar that I tried to play many times, but the sore fingers always cut it short and I gave up.  Was able to play a bunch of Beatles songs, they were easy. I dated the sound man for a local band named Chicken Clark's Roadapple Rodeo--a country rock type band that played alot of David Allen Coe, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, John Prine, etc.  Country music was cool back then and more original.  Today's country music all sounds the same and it's corny.  This band I ran with played some covers and alot of their own original stuff and opened for Pure Prairie League many times, where I got to meet that band backstage.  I was underaged then and could always get into the bars they played in going into the back door with the band. They put an album out which I was on.  They did a live performance of a song in a studio and I was invited to be in the audience and we were instructed to do hooting and hollering for effect.  Does that count for having been on an album?  My dad was a Polish musician and played the accordian, harmonica and sang.  He taught me how to play that huge accordian when I was a kid.

That's pretty cool, Becks. I never used to as a kid but I like older, classic country now. I like Hank Jr. too. His songs are just a lot of fun. I never could get the hang of the harmonica but I sure love the sound of them, especially in blues.

Every year on my birthday, my father would come into my bedroom and wake me up playing Happy Birthday on the harmonica.  It used to get on my nerves.  But, now, I see he wanted to make me smile and he enjoyed celebrating my birthday.  He had a reel-to-reel recorder back then in the late 60's and used to record his own singing and playing. 

Every year on my birthday, my father would come into my bedroom and wake me up playing Happy Birthday on the harmonica.  It used to get on my nerves.  But, now, I see he wanted to make me smile and he enjoyed celebrating my birthday.  He had a reel-to-reel recorder back then in the late 60's and used to record his own singing and playing.

oh, that's so cool beck.

my parents both inundated me with musicals like Fiddler on the Roof and my father use to put me on his lap and sing "Sunrise Sunset" and he use to make up his little diddy and sing "Dwab Dweeb Dwab Dweeb" in the Sunrise Sunset melody. i remember it and i was only 3-4 years.

Hello all, nice thread!

I loved playing the guitar in my late teens. I had a nice acoustic Yamaha guitar. I played on camp with girl scouts and with friends. Then suddenly I lost interest. In hindsight it was soon after starting antidepressants.

Now Im 40 years old and off ad and benzo's and my interest returns I think.

I sold my Yamaha years ago and now I only have an old Spanish guitar. But today a gift for myself arrives. I bought a Squier Stratocaster. It is a cheap Fender brand.

So waiting for the delivery.

I look forward to practice some rock solo's. Youtube is great with all the tutorials.

Having a lot of pain in my arms lately, which will resolve soon I hope.

But today a gift for myself arrives. I bought a Squier Stratocaster. It is a cheap Fender brand.

So waiting for the delivery.

I have a couple friends who actually prefer the Squires over newer Fenders.

It's great that you are back into it.