Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

[Ja...]

I read that book when i was in high school my junior year, which was 1982.  It was required reading in English class.  It's very powerful and stuck with me especially b/c of the timeframe.....there I was, in 1982, reading a book about things taking place in 1984....it was spooky to me as a teenager....and as I grew older, from time to time, I found myself making parallels between the book and present day.  Two other books that were required reading when I was in high school that were really good are Fahrenheit 451 and Flowers for Algernon....if you haven't read them, I recommend them. 

• 2 weeks later...

The 1984 movie was very depressing and dark.

I agree. Well written but very depressing. I think I don't need "depressing" right now. I can get that on my own.

I was in a rather healthy state of mind when I watched 1984 and it put me into a funk for days.  It still haunts.  Propaganda movie to keep us all depressed. 

I didn't realize there was a movie. I just hated how in the end he was broken and he actually loved big brother. I also hated how he and Julia ended. It actually made me angry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When I was in high school I liked those gloomy books, I don't know why. I was fond of SF books. Besides 1984 I liked bladerunner, the day of the triffids and brave new world, all also quite gloomy. I didn't realise then that my life would be gloomy too later on. Now I have a chronic depression and for 16 years I have lost the ability to experience emotions.

Try Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood if you want a creepy, frightening, prescient look at a near future dystopian society that might really happen.  I'm not talking about the HULU series, which I haven't seen, but the book.

She

If you want to laugh, read The Shipping News by the great author, Annie Proulx. She won a Pulitzer for that book. Better yet, watching the move as it is  :2funny: :2funny:

• 1 month later...

Many public schools in the People's Republic of California are now banning Animal Farm.  I wonder why.

Ha!!  I'm in the East Coast ver of your state! 

Many public schools in the People's Republic of California are now banning Animal Farm.  I wonder why.

Ha!!  I'm in the East Coast ver of your state!

Don't have a clue as Calif. is a very progressive state.