Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sniff sniff

[pn...]

I know I have too much time on my hands. Lying here awake at all hours strange things come to mind. I once read that of the 5 senses, the sense of smell is the one most capable of stirring memories.

Could be Gramma's house, cinnamon rolls..or the smell of the dog when he comes in from outdoors after what I call "putting on a fresh coat of stink." Was wondering what scent transports you to another place or time. What is relaxing or stimulating.

My own.. the smell of a packed lunch box takes me immediately back to second grade. We ate at our desks and traded our goodies.

The smell of Brut cologne takes me right to the backseat of a 68 Buick, but I will spare the details.

Good morning Pnutt22,

I like this, and yes, you are right. Our sense of smell is often referred to as our memory sense. I learned this in an Anatomy Class. It's our biggest memory trigger.

There are many smells that remind me of my nannies house (fried chicken for one) , and when you spoke of cologne...Well, for me, it was British Sterling. That is what my husband used to wear...MANY, MANY, MANY memories associated with that scent ;) and I bet at one point we may have been in a backseat :)

I love the smell of fresh cut grass. or a summer's rain, and yes, believe it or not...wet dirt. Many of these scents make me think of camping which used to be one of my favorite past times.

Well now, you've got me thinking...good job :)

I hope you have a great day,

Fluter :)

Fresh cut grass reminds me of  Saturday summer mornings at my childhood home. That meant my Dad was home for the weekend and mowing the lawn.The smell gave me a sense of security. I knew everything was as it should be in my little girl world.

Blue

Fresh cut grass reminds me of  Saturday summer mornings at my childhood home. That meant my Dad was home for the weekend and mowing the lawn.The smell gave me a sense of security. I knew everything was as it should be in my little girl world.

Blue

I love the smell of cut grass too. I think it smells like sunshine.

Clothes on a line outside with the wind slightly blowing and I get tangled in the sheets and the smell that I will never ever forget, fresh crisp and all from Mother Natures wonderful smell mixed with clean clothes.  :thumbsup:

Reminds me of another from when I was very young. My mother wore very little make up but would put on bright red lipstick if she and my dad were going out somewhere. I remember the smell of her kissing me good bye so well.

Tide Original Powder and Downy fabric softener.

I still use it to this day, and I love taking my blanket out of the dryer and wrapping myself in all that warmth, and that smell is such a secure feeling for me  :smitten:

I love that smell of the first cold front of the season...

Everything smells "Crisp".

Than everything changes with the new season. It all becomes about warmth, spices, blankets, pumpkin pie, hearty meals, and so much more.

My favorite seasons are Fall/Winter.

I not only love the smells...I LOVE the feeling  :smitten:

Than everything changes with the new season. It all becomes about warmth, spices, blankets, pumpkin pie, hearty meals, and so much more.

I'll go for the fall, but where I live now, certainly not the winter. :smitten:

My dad's Old Spice.

I'll go for the fall, but where I live now, certainly not the winter. :smitten:

My dad's Old Spice.

Yes, BG....my dad has always worn Old Spice...We loved it. He smelled so good.

When my daughter was small...she used to say "Poppa, go put on some spicy". :)

The way they make the original (now) doesn't smell like it did 20yrs ago; however, I still like it.

When my daughter was small...she used to say "Poppa, go put on some spicy".

Very cute. :smitten: But I haven't smelled any for 20 years so I don't know.........

The smell of homemade beef stew reminds me of feeling all warm and snuggled up inside on a cold, rainy winter's night.

Blue :smitten: