Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

7 Earth-Size Planets Identified in Orbit Around a Dwarf Star

[75...]

as amazing as an hollywood movie = fake.

nasa needs to be defunded and abolished asap.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. I will look for it on the internet! Your version sounds like a Hollywood movie!

NASA did not make today's news up. I promise you.

This is great, I love this kind of stuff.  But remember, getting life started on the Earth and getting it to evolve to its present state required an amazing number of lucky coincidences (like opposable thumbs).  Life, especially "intelligent" life, has to be extremely rare out there, which of course is why SETI has found nothing so far.  Because "advanced" civilizations don't last long, it would be rare for the timelines of two or more civilizations in our galaxy to match up, let alone communicate.  But I'd love to be proven wrong!

Oh, and here's something that blew my mind recently.  The number of conventional suns (similar to ours, that fuse hydrogen) in our medium-sized galaxy is around 200 million, with a total of around 1 billion planets circling them.  And this doesn't even include red or brown dwarf suns, so there could be around 2 billion planets out there in our galaxy, and this doesn't include moons, which we are finding out are really interesting places, unlike our boring moon.  BUT, recently it has been theorized that there are at least TWO TRILLION (with a T), galaxies in our universe, ten times the number previously thought.  So, number of planets in our universe?  Not enough zeros on my calculator.

Sad that our current window on all of this will close when we blow ourselves up or release a genetically engineered virus that has no cure.  Oh well...too smart for our own good I guess.

[75...]

This is great, I love this kind of stuff.  But remember, getting life started on the Earth and getting it to evolve to its present state required an amazing number of lucky coincidences.  Life, especially "intelligent" life, has to be extremely rare out there, which of course is why SETI has found nothing so far.  Because "advanced" civilizations don't last long, it would be rare for the timelines of two or more civilizations in our galaxy to match up, let alone communicate.  But I'd love to be proven wrong!

Very good point - it would interesting even if evidence of the destruction of civilization(s) is found.

So cool! As if anyone thought this planet was the ONLY planet that could sustain life. Perhaps that will be my next vacation. :laugh: Sorry, LOB.........

This is great, I love this kind of stuff.  But remember, getting life started on the Earth and getting it to evolve to its present state required an amazing number of lucky coincidences (like opposable thumbs).  Life, especially "intelligent" life, has to be extremely rare out there, which of course is why SETI has found nothing so far.  Because "advanced" civilizations don't last long, it would be rare for the timelines of two or more civilizations in our galaxy to match up, let alone communicate.  But I'd love to be proven wrong!

Remote, I know.... -but what if we were enhanced by, or the continuum of an advanced life? That reduces the coincidence somewhat... it also could give credence, to the multitude of religious or creation/origon theories globally... -gods, if you would... just the difference being in the interpritation... (not that we should discuss/debate the religion aspect here)

Such a fantastically speculative topic, yet such vast potential implications...

-I guess the effects of these implications, are my true question... How does "what if" affect us, both as individuals and globally???

Oh, and here's something that blew my mind recently.  The number of conventional suns (similar to ours, that fuse hydrogen) in our medium-sized galaxy is around 200 million, with a total of around 1 billion planets circling them.  And this doesn't even include red or brown dwarf suns, so there could be around 2 billion planets out there in our galaxy, and this doesn't include moons, which we are finding out are really interesting places, unlike our boring moon.  BUT, recently it has been theorized that there are at least TWO TRILLION (with a T), galaxies in our universe, ten times the number previously thought.  So, number of planets in our universe?  Not enough zeros on my calculator.

Sad that our current window on all of this will close when we blow ourselves up or release a genetically engineered virus that has no cure.  Oh well...too smart for our own good I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

<<"The number of conventional suns (similar to ours, that fuse hydrogen) in our medium-sized galaxy is around 200 million...">>

Oops, I should have said 100 million conventional suns.  There are probably around 1,000 planets in our galaxy that are very similar to Earth and the number of those with people like us typing on computer keyboards?  One.

<<"The number of conventional suns (similar to ours, that fuse hydrogen) in our medium-sized galaxy is around 200 million...">>

Oops, I should have said 100 million conventional suns.  There are probably around 1,000 planets in our galaxy that are very similar to Earth and the number of those with people like us typing on computer keyboards?  One.

Yes, we are probably fairly primative in that area... -I would guess that most others would be using advanced neural connections... But what would I know... -some may still use two cans an a long string... The only problem is that networking becomes a bit of a tangle... :)

• 1 month later...
For anyone "addicted" to astrophysics and astronomy stuff, I highly recommend a podcast called Space Time by Stuart Gary.  Easy to find on TuneIn.  And another one called Naked Astronomy, less academic but still informative and fun.

• 2 months later...
Well, they're up to over 4,000 suspected exoplanets now and over 2,000 confirmed.  And that's after looking at just a couple of star systems.  With the upcoming James Web telescope, they should be able to get some spectroscopy of exoplanet atmospheres and find out if there's anything alive and producing methane or oxygen.  All they need to do is find one and that will change the whole ballgame.  Life, baby.

• 1 month later...
So the numbers keep changing out there in the podcasts.  So it's 4 billion suns in the Milky Way, most of which have planets orbiting them, and most of those planets have moons orbiting them.  And it's said now that there are two trillion galaxies in the universe.  That's a heck of a lot of Real Estate, and it's all had 13.8 billion years to evolve life.  But yet, not a peep has been heard from anyone.  Could it be that we're the ONLY life form that has been able to build a radio transmitter?  Or is it just that life forms that are smart enough to build a radio transmitter are also smart enough to build nukes and tinker with viral DNA, thus ensuring their self-destruction in less than a hundred years?  Depressing thought, that the universe might just a waste of time.

Location, location, location...

When our "creator" showed them our blueprints, they pointed to an empty piece of night sky, and said... "And dont stop until we cant HEAR you..."

Perhaps one day they will want WMDs, and come looking...

We might be alone in this infinite void.  All alone.  Yeah, maybe some pond scum here and there, but basically, we're it.  I'm thinking that's probably the case.

[75...]

We might be alone in this infinite void.  All alone.  Yeah, maybe some pond scum here and there, but basically, we're it.  I'm thinking that's probably the case.

Perhaps we are alone, but just look at the view!

Eclipsing the Sun

Eclipsing the Sun

Wow.  Feeling like a kid in a candy store watching these vignettes.  Thanks, Leslie!

[75...]

Eclipsing the Sun

Wow.  Feeling like a kid in a candy store watching these vignettes.  Thanks, Leslie!

Right? It was just mesmerizing - I got an instant feeling of peace.

Think I'll give it its own thread. :)

Eclipsing the Sun

Right? It was just mesmerizing - I got an instant feeling of peace.

Think I'll give it its own thread. :)

very nice..!!

I find it irritating not knowing if we are alone...!!

-Want an answer NOW..!!

-The endless expansion of possibilities...

Wow, this wikipedia article is outstanding.  It goes on and on, discussing just about every explanation for the Fermi Paradox that exists!  BTW, I heard somewhere that Frank Drake hurriedly wrote his equation on a napkin prior to giving a talk in the early 60's.  IMO, that equation is so badly flawed that it's meaningless.  There are many factors that were either overlooked by Drake or just unknown at the time.  How about the existence of a large, stabilizing moon acting as a gravitational gyroscope to prevent a planet from erratic wobbling?  How likely is it for a planet to collide with another large body during solar system formation to create such a huge moon?  How about a liquid core lasting billions of years that produces a magnetic field to prevent an atmosphere from being blown away by solar winds, how likely it that?  How about the existence of gas giant planets in the outer solar system that act as gravitational vacuum cleaners, clearing out planet killer asteroids?  These and many other problems with the formula.  But if you add to this the problems with the origins of life and moreover the problems with evolving our kind of primate life, boy it just gets worse.  Very, very, very unlikely we're going to find anyone else out there watching I Love Lucy.