Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Moon landing--fact or fiction?

[Be...]

[f2...]
We obviously have a problem with national civics or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Sure, there are ego issues here.  I'm not saying there aren't egos involved her, in my case, I'm not  speaking out of ego, it's more out of concern for the greater good.  I know these issues won't be solved here.  In my former life, I was a public policy person and was always advised and advised others against debating conspiracy theories because it's an exercise in futility.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Ph...]

• [dr...]

• [al...]

We obviously have a problem with national civics or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Sure, there are ego issues here.  I'm not saying there aren't egos involved her, in my case, I'm not  speaking out of ego, it's more out of concern for the greater good.  I know these issues won't be solved here.  In my former life, I was a public policy person and was always advised and advised others against debating conspiracy theories because it's an exercise in futility.

Couldn't agree more with you. The weird thing about current times are that there are people who are saying that "a problem with our civics" is a politically skewed opinion coming from a bubble. And they may be the people in charge.

http://yournewswire.com/stanley-kubrick-confesses-to-faking-the-moon-landings/

How can the US flag wave in the wind on the moon when there's no atmosphere? 

How can camera film withstand the 250 degree moon heat during the day without melting?

FFS. Even the conspiracy website you linked to above admits that the video is a hoax.

At the foot of that webpage:

Update: There is a possibility that the interview may be a hoax, with many people commenting online that the person purporting to be Stanley Kubrick in the video is an actor called “Tom”.

We contacted T. Patrick Murray about the accusations that the story was faked and we await a response. We note, however, that he admits the person in the above video was an actor.

I'm no physicist, but I'll give a quick stab at this:

The flag: it was supported by a cross-pole at the top. Of course, on Earth, the movement of air (atmosphere) causes flags to flap about. But, consider what happens in a vacuum. When the flag is set up, you induce motion to the fabric. But, without an atmosphere, there is only the internal friction of the flag fabric to slow down its movement. The flag's movement behaves more like a standing wave. I expect that the flag will continue to flap about for some time.

The camera film: it was exposed to radiant heat only. Since there is no atmosphere to conduct heat, it would take some time for the camera (and the film contained within) to heat up. The cameras were silvered to help reflect radiant heat. (Except for a very small amount of heat conducted from the astronauts insulated space suit hands) any heat absorbed by the camera could only reach the film via conversion of radiation, then conduction through the camera body, then the mechanism, then the film case, and then the film itself (no conducting atmosphere, and no convection, remember). That's a long conductive path (though, some of that energy will be re-radiated from the camera body, etc., but in all directions, some towards the inner camera, but some way - I expect that this would be a small effect).

I know that this thread is locked. Under normal circumstances I'd unlock it to allow for replies, but we've been through this nonsense before.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=152208.msg2268107#msg2268107

The 'moon landings were faked' conspiracy theory is quite delicious. It put a smile on my face when I first heard it, 20 or more years ago. I can understand you wanting to believe such a fabulous tale because the idea of it would be so incredible. But, really, you are not supposed to actually believe this nonsense. I think the Capricorn One movie has played a significant role is promulgating this particular conspiracy theory. You will note, Capricorn One was a work of fiction - it is not a documentary. ;)

Here's a good book on the subject of conspiracy theories:

Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch

[08...]