Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Moon landing--fact or fiction?

[Be...]

Well, ofcorse Someone went to the moon... -im just not so sure on the rocket thing at that time...

I often see a little kid sitting on the moon with a fishing rod, at the start of a movie...

And we all know a cow jumped over the moon, making a little boy laugh...

Perhaps good indicators that its not so far away...???

:)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Ph...]

• [dr...]

• [al...]

[f2...]

> PS - Chess, for what it's worth, I'm far less convinced than you are regarding the commonly accepted facts > of Nos. 4 and 5.  But I don't believe the "alternative facts" you've presented either.  There are *other*

> alternative possibilities (I hesitate to use the word fact).

> 4. AIDS is caused by the HIV virus

> 5. Global warming is happening as a result of carbon emissions.

OK, you're a skeptic. Let me add an example #6 to drive home the problem with such skepticism:

The truth                                  |      Alternative possibility

------------------                        |      ------------------------

6. Benzos are addictive and benzo  |      Benzos are not addictive.

withdrawal causes a variety        |      There is no such thing as benzo withdrawal syndrome.

of physical and psychological        |      People on BB suffering from these symptoms actually

symptoms.                                  |      have some other illness and are being duped to think

|      it's due to benzo withdrawal.

(how's that for bringing this thread back on topic?).

2 years ago I was suffering and didn't know why. I found my way to BB and I read Ashton and I read the posts and I concluded "these people are *right*". There are people who argue the viewpoint on

the right, but they are wrong. Seeing the truth allowed me to form a taper plan and to get off benzos. And now I am healed. The point being, it is an advantage to be clear and decisive about what is true. Being a skeptic wouldn't have gotten me healed.

Well, ofcorse Someone went to the moon... -im just not so sure on the rocket thing at that time...

I often see a little kid sitting on the moon with a fishing rod, at the start of a movie...

And we all know a cow jumped over the moon, making a little boy laugh...

Perhaps good indicators that its not so far away...???

:)

:2funny: :2funny: DreamWorks SKG...........

I notice the mods have graciously allowed this thread to stay up, Thank you mods! I'm not going to get political but I wanted to get on the official scorecard---AGW? Not true. Every thread I join seems to get locked. I know why. Because I like to go where the action is. Where intelligent people are hashing out intelligent ideas. I respect all of you, even those I disagree with. Just less! (haha it's a joke)

OK, you're a skeptic. Let me add an example #6 to drive home the problem with such skepticism:

The truth                                  |      Alternative possibility

------------------                        |      ------------------------

6. Benzos are addictive and benzo  |      Benzos are not addictive.

withdrawal causes a variety        |      There is no such thing as benzo withdrawal syndrome.

of physical and psychological        |      People on BB suffering from these symptoms actually

symptoms.                                  |    have some other illness and are being duped to think

|      it's due to benzo withdrawal.

Aaah!  But in *SOME* cases, the above is 100% true!!!  Not only highly, highly likely that there are many people here on BB incorrectly blaming benzos (for one reason or another) ... But there are posts galore proving it.  You haven't read them, oh well, but that alternative truth is actually a non-debatable truth, as far as I'm concerned. 

The truth   

6. Benzos are addictive and benzo  |   

withdrawal causes a variety        |   

of physical and psychological        |     

symptoms. 

NOT for all, 100% of the time, no they are NOT!  Read my signature, just for example.  You know this yourself anyway, I'm sure.  Another non-debatable non-truth. 

Bad examples, CP, that drove home nothing.  :-\

Sometimes it's not about being "skeptical" really, it's more along the lines of attempting to see not only the big picture, but all the interwoven moving pieces, viewing the world from different angles (not just black and white). 

As Becks was saying, don't shoot someone for having an inquisitive mind.  That's a gift and something to celebrate.  Stick to debating the subject, not the person.  The OP was clearly looking to find people with similar curiosity and interest and to engage in a civil discussion.  What's everyone's beef with that?

Hi abcd. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye but I think you're dead-on here. I love the "interwoven, moving pieces, viewing the world from different angles" line. One time, an elderly gentleman placed a quarter in his hand and asked me, "What's this?" I said, "A quarter." He flipped it over and said, "No, one side." I've never forgotten that.

Okay Megan. Perhaps you are the wiser one after all. Probably a good call.

Aloha, after all we've been through together...sob.  By the way, what happened to the atheism thread?  Somebody crash it or what?  That thread was even better than this one, deep stuff there, funny too.

Hi PhotoBug,

For some of us, this thread is just a fun pastime, but others seem to take it very seriously. I don't think that you can really have a serious intellectual conversation about such a ridiculous topic. It can't help but to degrade into a dialogue that some will find insulting. There is enough of that going on in our country's demented new political climate. Yes, I went there.

[67...]

Aloha, after all we've been through together...sob.  By the way, what happened to the atheism thread?  Somebody crash it or what?  That thread was even better than this one, deep stuff there, funny too.

Hi PhotoBug,

For some of us, this thread is just a fun pastime, but others seem to take it very seriously. I don't think that you can really have a serious intellectual conversation about such a ridiculous topic. It can't help but to degrade into a dialogue that some will find insulting. There is enough of that going on in our country's demented new political climate. Yes, I went there.

I mostly lurk on these conspiracy theory threads.  But I feel I must offer I agree with Aloha and Megan completely on this.  I might add it's gotten pretty insulting to some of reading this already.  Strictly from a pragmatic standpoint, if someone from the outside stumbled on this thread from outside of this forum, they might be some serious questions about what's happening here.  There are plenty of websites outside of this forum that entertain these fringe theories. 

As Becks was saying, don't shoot someone for having an inquisitive mind.  That's a gift and something to celebrate.  Stick to debating the subject, not the person.  The OP was clearly looking to find people with similar curiosity and interest and to engage in a civil discussion.  What's everyone's beef with that?

If Becks' intention was to find people with a similar curiosity and interest, would she have encouraged debate by using the term "fact or fiction" in the thread title?  If she had just wanted to schmooze with other fake moon landing believers, the correct title for the thread should have been "Moon landing hoax," or something also those lines.  When you say "fact or fiction," you're basically saying okay folks, let's rumble.  But why stop there.  As a hard-core believer that stood up to all attempts to pry the lid loose last night (including pictures of moon rover tracks at a landing site), Beck's mind does not seem inquisitive on this subject.  Rather, it seems stuck in well-cured concrete.  There are parallels here to cult behavior but admittedly, this would need another thread, even more controversial than this one.  I do hope we can keep this one going and thanks to the Admins for apparently understanding that my sarcastic posts last night were done for a specific purpose, not to harm but to help.  Compassion is not about keeping a person's door locked, it's about unlocking it.

Hi PhotoBug,

<<"I don't think that you can really have a serious intellectual conversation about such a ridiculous topic.">>

You're absolutely right, Aloha.  But you do know that we're not really talking about moon landings, right?  There's another topic under the surface.  It's really about victims, exploitation and snake oil.  That's why this thread is important.  How many lies do we ALL believe, and why?  That's the question.

I'm leaning towards Megan for this reason: it's a very short step from conspiracy theory talk to our actual politics, in the US this week. Lots of these ideas have weaved their way into the daily news cycle, and one little subordinate clause can take you from fun to f*ck you just like that.

<<"it's a very short step from conspiracy theory talk to our actual politics">>

That's true of just about any talk, not just conspiracy theory talk.  Try it sometime.  After about six exchanges in the conversation, a political aspect pops up.  So what do we all do?  Stop having conversations?  Not at all.  Things need to be talked through, use the dialectic, back and forth until the crap is discarded and a nugget of truth remains.

To me these threads are somewhere in an area between "talk" and tweets. So there's a limitation on communication. I've seen enough to know that dialectic is the first casualty no matter what the intent, and consensus on truth hasn't happened yet. Try talking politics online somewhere else and watch what happens.

What does conspiracy theory have to do with politics as opposed to any talk? We have a conspiracy theorist in the white house in case nobody noticed. One conspiracy I can believe in is that there are lots of trolls: Left and Alt Left, Right wing and Alt-Right, white identity, Russian trolling, political trolling... Sometimes by people without any conscience, pushing something at you. It's all over and I wouldn't really trust that anonymous people aren't trolls. In which case looking for a dialectic would be a fools errand.

This thread is a bit of a disaster because the OP asks fact or fiction but then says she doesn't have an open mind. I guarantee that she's not the only one.

Hi PhotoBug,

<<"I don't think that you can really have a serious intellectual conversation about such a ridiculous topic.">>

You're absolutely right, Aloha.  But you do know that we're not really talking about moon landings, right?  There's another topic under the surface.  It's really about victims, exploitation and snake oil.  That's why this thread is important.  How many lies do we ALL believe, and why?  That's the question.

This I agree is political. But that's what they don't allow it now. No one wants to be told by someone else what their lies are and why they believe them. I know you don't. In fact that question is the heart of politics now. You really know how to pick those topics don't ya?

I am in agreement with drad dog and willdoit. First, it's a highly controversial, loaded thread to begin with, and then it spun out of control with posts in the thread having nothing to do with the thread itself. There are so many members who are in dire straits and suffering, so why not channel the energy into helping them?

If you feel you have enough time to spare, why not help people in the Depression part of the forum or Cold Turkey part of the forum? There are plenty of people there hanging by a thread, and I think the purpose of the forum is to reach out to those people and help them find the help they need, whether it's  within this forum or not.....

This forum should be a place to help people and not be a battle of the egos....

Also, willdoit made an excellent argument about people outside of the forum. We live in highly anxious times, and many people, at this moment, may be considering getting a benzodiazepine prescription for the first time in their life, and might be looking for the information out there, weighing the pros and the cons, and I think this thread is not helpful in any way in that regard.

[67...]

I am in agreement with drad dog and willdoit. First, it's a highly controversial, loaded thread to begin with, and then it spun out of control with posts in the thread having nothing to do with the thread itself. There are so many members who are in dire straits and suffering, so why not channel the energy into helping them?

If you feel you have enough time to spare, why not help people in the Depression part of the forum or Cold Turkey part of the forum? There are plenty of people there hanging by a thread, and I think the purpose of the forum is to reach out to those people and help them find the help they need, whether it's within this forum or not.....

Also, willdoit made an excellent argument about people outside of the forum. We live in highly anxious times, and many people, at this moment, may be considering getting a benzodiazepine prescription for the first time in their life, and might be looking for the information out there, weighing the pros and the cons, and I think this thread is not helpful in any way in that regard.

Thank you LF. 

I wrote something but then deleted it.  This is not my bag, far too insulting and *ridiculous* for me too, but for reasons other than the OP putting "fact or fiction" in the subject line.  ::)  Give me a break.  Lighten up, folks!

Outta here.

:thumbsup:

[67...]
With all due respect to Lorazepam Free, I don't believe we're dealing with egos here.  We're in serious trouble  here in the US with a conspiracy theorist in the White House who is fully assaulting science to serve his economic and political agenda.  Our democracy is at stake, not to mention our planet. 

I wrote something but then deleted it.  This is not my bag, far too insulting and *ridiculous* for me too, but for reasons other than the OP putting "fact or fiction" in the subject line.  ::)  Give me a break.  Lighten up, folks!

Outta here.

I guess I don't see all the heaviosity. Someone said the moon landing was a fake and got some pushback, esp cause they asked an open question.  Things happen on earth.

It's a dead end, but you should have been here for the election thread!

With all due respect to Lorazepam Free, I don't believe we're dealing with egos here.  We're in serious trouble  here in the US with a conspiracy theorist in the White House who is fully assaulting science to serve his economic and political agenda.  Our democracy is at stake, not to mention our planet.

Yes. But there won't be any answer to this thing in forums. It's the tower of babble, completely ego. I guess I lost you on why there can't be a national problem in our civics,and also an ego problem in these forums too.

Outta here.

I guess I don't see all the heaviosity. Someone said the moon landing was a fake and got some pushback, esp cause they asked an open question.  Things happen on earth.

That's why I'm done with this thread.  Why does every discussion have to be a battle with arguing and pushback?  Push me back against the wall.  Make me fall on my ass.  This thread is no fun.  No civil discussions.  Just making fun of people, etc. 

So, um, hey folks.  May I re-direct everyone to this thread?  ;D

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=175588.0

I'd really love to hear the contributions of some of your amazing minds here.  And it's on topic and has the potential to seriously affect a person's health.  How about we move over there and channel some passion and emotion on, IMO, a really important issue?

See anyone there?  :-\

Outta here.

That's why I'm done with this thread.  Why does every discussion have to be a battle with arguing and pushback?  Push me back against the wall.  Make me fall on my ass.  This thread is no fun.  No civil discussions.  Just making fun of people, etc.

Pushback is not a dirty word. It's natural. It's what happens in civil discussions.

If moon hoax, flat earth, or many other things don't get pushback I'm afraid we are really in trouble. Don't you?  Sorry about that.

[d5...]