Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alcohol Related Setback

[Si...]

Hi Siggy,

I'm in the same boat. I had a few beer over a 5 day period and I'm in day 7 of a wave now that's much, much worse than normal. Feeling like an idiot too.

Hang in there. At least we know what's going on. Hope you're getting better.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [Sh...]

• [do...]

• [Da...]

Hi Siggy,

I'm in the same boat. I had a few beer over a 5 day period and I'm in day 7 of a wave now that's much, much worse than normal. Feeling like an idiot too.

Hang in there. At least we know what's going on. Hope you're getting better.

Thanks for letting me know. I've been looking for stories of other people that have done this. Hope we feel better soon.

All I know is I won't be touching alcohol for a very long time. I have no desire to reverse my healing for one night of fun. It's not worth it. I kind of like being healthy. I just know that when I heal, I'm going to feel amazing. I'm gluten, dairy, corn, soy, msg, preservative and alcohol free. I really don't mind it either.  ;D

I'm glad it's working for you Shamo. Be careful though!

Siggy, you will heal. Give it time.  :)

Thanks BHealthy!,

I agree now, it's not worth the risk at all.

Shamo, I had several sessions where I drank a fair amount and had no symptoms at all. Until the one from mid December. Do you really want to gamble each time?

I didnt drink for the first 6 months off. It's just frustrating that it still holds me back and stops me from doing things. Theres only so long I can keep saying no to my friends and turning them down to do fun things. I don't get blotta though. and I'm going to stop again after this wknd as its my sisters wedding.

I didnt drink for the first 6 months off. It's just frustrating that it still holds me back and stops me from doing things. Theres only so long I can keep saying no to my friends and turning them down to do fun things. I don't get blotta though. and I'm going to stop again after this wknd as its my sisters wedding.

I skipped a year, and I know the feeling of wanting to socialize with drinks. For a long time I'd usually just get a sprite or ginger ale in ice.i had gone a while where I would only drink a beer or two max. I wish I had stuck with my abstinence now.

Have fun at your sister's wedding. I'm sure it will be a good time. I hope you don't think I'm lecturing you on the booze. Just want you to be cautious.  :)

Thanks BHealthy!,

I agree now, it's not worth the risk at all.

Shamo, I had several sessions where I drank a fair amount and had no symptoms at all. Until the one from mid December. Do you really want to gamble each time?

Most people like to find out life lessons the hard way. I know I do ,until now. I would like to think this experience has made me become wiser. I will have to wait and see though. Once I am well and I make more foolish mistakes, I will know I have not grown at all. It's easy to say I won't do something stupid when I am in too much pain to make a stupid decision.

I agree with Siggy, Shamo.

I used to be able to have a drink during WD. But, it feels as I get better, my brain becomes more and more sensitive to toxins such as alcohol, MSG, sugar etc. Be safe  :thumbsup:

How are you doing Donnie? You feeling any better.

Yes. I'm a little better today. After 8 days, hopefully I'm coming around. How are you making out?

Siggy-

My wave lasted 10 days.  I am a very light social drinker and having 7 cosmos on an empty stomach basically gave me a week and a half hangover that consisted of muscle pain, horrible GI issues, return of anxiety, and some insomia. All similar symptoms when I cold turkey from Ativan last Feb.  I also realized I have been indulging too much with Chinese take out and the MSG probably isn't helping matters from I'm seeing on this site.  I was a short term user but think my initial w/d was so bad because I went through something similar when I stopped taking Xanax after several months 9 years ago but didn't put 2 and 2 together that benzo were the cause of the symptoms until I became more educated being on this site and reading other's experiences.

I'm doing terrible. My sleep is totally screwed up. I'm still barely sleeping every other night. I feel like I'm back in acute. Which is crazy because I'm past 30 months off. No idea why this is hitting me so hard. Really wish I could go back and shake some sense into myself. Tried really hard to sleep tonight, but only got micro and light wave sleep. Sucks so bad to go from feeling healed to this.

Glad all of you are feeling better.

Sorry to hear that Siggy. Perhaps some melatonin for a few nights? I know our systems are ultra-sensitive right now, but I can get away with melatonin once in a while.

I'm still much worse after having drank, but my nerves are starting to calm down and it feels like I'm returning to my normal WD symptoms of pain and nausea. Oh boy! :laugh:

I have read somewhere on here that you should refrain from alcohol 12 months from the time you are symptom free. It also said that alcohol will not lengthen your recovery but will make your recovery more difficult. It has taken me over a month to get back to feeling as good as I did before I took a drink. A word to the wise.......GIVE YOURSELF MORE TIME TO HEAL BEFORE YOU TAKE A DRINK! My wife and I are planning a trip to Napa Valley in September. That is going to be tough for me!

Thanks donnie.

Camre, I did wait over a whole year to drink any alcohol. I also felt like I was pretty much healed when had the drinks. So it didn't really work out to fit that.

Hi Siggy,

As you've said before, you were able to drink a few beers now and then with no adverse effects.  I think it was the quantity of alcohol you drank.  It's probably important to realize, in the year after you are symptom free, to ease back into everything slowly and moderately, or you disrupt the balance your body is still working to achieve.  I imagine that, when you feel no more symptoms, you think you are healed.  It's just not the case.  You are still healing.

Sofa

Very true sofa. I had a false sense of security. Especially from being able to drink a few with no uptick. I'm still doing really bad at nearly one month from my drinking binge. I'm super depressed I got myself into this mess. My wife went on a trip (planned months ago) to the Bahamas with her sister. So I'm here all alone. Makes me even sadder.

When I drink - it takes a couple of weeks to get over it if I had more than 2.  Awful. And like Siggy - it interferes with sleep for a long time.  In addition to the brain/wd stuff, I'd get anticipatory anxiety about sleep deprivation.  I'd even be falling asleep and wake myself up because I had REMEMBERED I CAN'T sleep.  How insane is that?  For me - alot of my insomnia is anticipatory anxiety now.  But there are definitely nights where is feels like it is physiological and beyond my control.  WBB

Yeah I have that weird "afraid to sleep crap" that had been long gone. I doesn't even make much sense. It's for sure a chemical brain thing as I can feel the burning and head pressure. Both is thiose were long gone until now. I'm hoping it resolves soon.

• 1 month later...
I'm doing even worse now. I have burning all over my body and akithisia has shown up. I've had to put in for an absence from work. I can't believe I've done this to myself. I've just passed two months from this setback.

I'm so sorry Siggy. It could be that you were destined to get this ridiculous wave right now. I'm sure that it will pass very soon. Most importantly, stay positive. You will be ok....watch the videos on merryjoyousfree.com. Don't worry you will heal from this soon.  :smitten:

I am not going to drink alcohol for at least 5 years...I've already decided it. Heck I might never drink alcohol again. I don't even like it that much. It's not worth the risk.

I'm so sorry Siggy. It could be that you were destined to get this ridiculous wave right now. I'm sure that it will pass very soon. Most importantly, stay positive. You will be ok....watch the videos on merryjoyousfree.com. Don't worry you will heal from this soon.  :smitten:

I am not going to drink alcohol for at least 5 years...I've already decided it. Heck I might never drink alcohol again. I don't even like it that much. It's not worth the risk.

I hate the idea of loosing my job. It's boring being at home all day. Not to mention I feel like total crap physically now too. I wish I had staid away from drinking. I just thought it was ok since I waited so long to try a small amount and it didn't seem to cause a problem. I hope that this resolves soon.