Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

May need hysteroscopy afraid of pain, questions please, UK resident, NHS

[00...]

[00...]

To save funds, it's standard procedure for NHS to preform hysteroscopies without general anaesthetic, and I may have to have one.

I have to go for an ultrasound scan and I am not so nervous about this, but I am nervous that I may need a hysteroscopy.

I was on sequential hrt, and started taking prog daily aloong with my oestrogen when I realised i was addicted to valium again, 60mgs.

I want to have a general anaesthetic as I heard that most women cannot take the pain of a hysteroscopy without one, especially if they have not given birth like me.

I am on 60mg valium, is there a chance they will refuse general anaesthetic. I am so afraid of the  pain of a hysteroscopy, from other women's experiences, that I would rather risk dying under GA than go through the pain, and of course, NSAIDS cannot be taken during withdrawal.

I was an opiate addict until August, so I cant take an opiate either.

All help would be appreciated cos I am at my wits end with worry.

thanks in advance

I don't know anything about this but I am in the UK and noticed you had no answers so far and so I thought I would try to help out.

So I looked this up and it said that you might feel period-like cramps. Is this bothering you?  Or is it the drugs they may use for a local anaesthetic? That they may not suit the other drugs you are on?

Anyway, I think it might be a good idea to see what results the ultrasound scan reveals first. You might even find that you don't need a hysteroscopy and you would have been worrying for nothing.

Hope everything goes okay for you.

Gilly x

[00...]

Thanks for answering.

Alot of women have had painful hysteroscopy.

No anaesthetic due to NHS cutbacks, used to be general anaesthetic.

Not worried alocal anaesthetic as a non adrenaline one is available.

I've had symptoms of polyps in womb, unscheduled bleeding on sequential hrt.

I started talking progesterone daily a few months ago, which calmed me down but periods stopped altogether do worried womb lining building up as well as painful procedure.

Also, won't be able to take hrt and have had menopause on top of taper of 60mg valium which I won't be allowed to control, doctor will be deciding cuts and he is not benzo wise.

Medical staff not listening to my concerns.

• 1 month later...
Journey YOU should be deciding the cuts under the NICE guidelines!!! Tell your doc that.  As for hrt and stuff i dont know cos im just a man!  :)  Hope all goes well!!  (NICE guidelines are 1mg cut every 2 weeks ) 

[00...]

Journey YOU should be deciding the cuts under the NICE guidelines!!! Tell your doc that.  As for hrt and stuff i dont know cos im just a man!  :)  Hope all goes well!!  (NICE guidelines are 1mg cut every 2 weeks )

Hi

As I took the benzos unprescribed, they told me that i am not allowed to control my own taper. The problem with this is that if i get agoraphobia and cannot make my appointment they will stop my script. I have another plan up my sleeve though, tapering at the moment daily 0.2mgs come down from 75mg a day to 53mgs

thank you

[00...]
I'm afraid I cancelled the ulstrasound after first talking with my GP as I have a lot going on, so I rang the day before, so someone else could take my place.

To save funds, it's standard procedure for NHS to preform hysteroscopies without general anaesthetic, and I may have to have one.

I have to go for an ultrasound scan and I am not so nervous about this, but I am nervous that I may need a hysteroscopy.

I was on sequential hrt, and started taking prog daily aloong with my oestrogen when I realised i was addicted to valium again, 60mgs.

I want to have a general anaesthetic as I heard that most women cannot take the pain of a hysteroscopy without one, especially if they have not given birth like me.

I am on 60mg valium, is there a chance they will refuse general anaesthetic. I am so afraid of the  pain of a hysteroscopy, from other women's experiences, that I would rather risk dying under GA than go through the pain, and of course, NSAIDS cannot be taken during withdrawal.

thanks in advance

I had a hysteroscopy done several years back without anesthesia as part of evaluation for IVF. If they are just taking a look inside they don't use anesthesia. It's not pleasant but it was not that bad either. They found a small polyp and I opted to let him cut it out instead of coming back for another procedure in the OR. It was again not pleasant, but I survived. Try not to worry too much.

[00...]

thanks in advance

I had a hysteroscopy done several years back without anesthesia as part of evaluation for IVF. If they are just taking a look inside they don't use anesthesia. It's not pleasant but it was not that bad either. They found a small polyp and I opted to let him cut it out instead of coming back for another procedure in the OR. It was again not pleasant, but I survived. Try not to worry too much.

Hi Hope and thank you for sharing your experience.