Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Thanksgiving Distraction Thread

[wa...]

One of the things I love about living in America is that I no longer am expected to do the Brit. Stiff Upper Lip thing. The Downton Abbey set had their day, and have moved on to that great Manor house in the sky. My generation is the last to have been reared by them. My adult children have no idea what 'Noblesse Oblige' means, the hooligans.

Karuna, I will fix my kumquat, cranberry relish.

The Hooligans! How adorable is that?? Just for that...have some tea...http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/maclisa2/smileys/thpotthee.gif

What are unhappy cranberries called?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ce...]

• [wa...]

• [Gr...]

• [br...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have known that. Duh.

Pumpkin Mousse.

As served in the White House by Nancy Reagan, who was terrified of getting fat. Did you know that she and Ronnie were preggers with Patty when they got married. I guess she didn't say no.

I should have known that. Duh.

Pumpkin Mousse.

As served in the White House by Nancy Reagan, who was terrified of getting fat. Did you know that she and Ronnie were preggers with Patty when they got married. I guess she didn't say no.

:laugh: :laugh: That's good, Rabbit. Just say no - ha! Practice what thy preaches woman!.. :laugh:

The first known thanksgiving feast or festival in North America was celebrated by Francisco Vásquez de Coronado and the people he called "Tejas" (members of the Hasinai group of Caddo-speaking Native Americans).

Something on Native Americans at last!... :smitten:

Got me on that one. I have fresh shortbread to have with our tea.

Mmmmm I love shortbread. I have a recipe from my MIL for Scotch Shortbread and it only has 3 or 4 ingredients and is SO good!

Hey - i mentioned Squanto pages ago.

Well, the conversation around Thanksgiving tables in the US should be very interesting this year following the election.  Keep the electric knife handy and lock all others up (knives, I mean). 

And WHAT?  http://jamestownecalifornia.org/the-first-american-thanksgiving-was-in-virginia/

Sorry WBB...I'd forgotten.  :oops:

Here's one of those funny Thanksgiving facts: Turkeys have heart attacks. When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would drop dead.

awww!... :(

As a child growing up in England I would help feed the turkeys that were enjoying their all too short lives on the Home Farm. I would choose my favorite and give it extra turkey treats. I called it by the generic name.'Turkey Delicious'. This would be the one that landed up in the family dining room at dinner Christmas Day. I ate greedily with no remorse and always had seconds.

As a child growing up in England I would help feed the turkeys that were enjoying their all too short lives on the Home Farm. I would choose my favorite and give it extra turkey treats. I called it by the generic name.'Turkey Delicious'. This would be the one that landed up in the family dining room at dinner Christmas Day. I ate greedily with no remorse and always had seconds.

Such a meanie... :laugh:

There are regional differences as to the "stuffing" (or "dressing") traditionally served with the turkey. Southerners generally make theirs from cornbread, while in other parts of the country white bread is the base. One or several of the following may be added: oysters, apples, chestnuts, raisins, celery and/or other vegetables, sausage or the turkey's giblets

Giblet stuffing was my tradition...so yummy, but found later it was 'bad' for us...didn't stop me, I made it anyway! ;)

Why is giblet stuffing bad for us ? Geez Louise Iv'e eaten more than my fair share , also a heap of chopped chicken liver down at Ben's in Boca. To die for, but I hope not literally.

Why is giblet stuffing bad for us ? Geez Louise Iv'e eaten more than my fair share , also a heap of chopped chicken liver down at Ben's in Boca. To die for, but I hope not literally.

Hey Rabbit.. :smitten:

It was something to do with the Cholesterol or something. Organs like liver and the like are high in Fat and Cholesterol. I don't know they're always coming out with new 'improved' studies on this and that.... ::)

More than 40 million green bean casseroles are served on Thanksgiving.

Great. I may live through the sh-t withdrawal, and die from chicken livers. Ben's always has a mess of really, really old people, so maybe there is hope.

Turkey vegetable soup. Made with the stock from the simmered carcass. Very French.

Feel like I'm on the outside looking in - even on BB but I'm used to it.  Story of my life, really.  I give thanks for being well enough to look at these issues and not reach for a bottle of some thing or other. WBB

Feel like I'm on the outside looking in - even on BB but I'm used to it.  Story of my life, really.  I give thanks for being well enough to look at these issues and not reach for a bottle of some thing or other. WBB

I don't think your alone in feeling like your on the outside looking in - happens to me too (on here as well). Currently, I think my emotional state has been made worse by withdrawal so many things are harder for me and I'm so freaking sensitive!  I hate being this way too. But this too shall pass.

:hug:

OK - Thanksgiving factoid: The first balloon character, Felix the Cat, appeared in the 1927 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In 1927, this balloon was filled with air, but in subsequent years, balloons were filled with helium.

In October of 1777 all 13 colonies celebrated Thanksgiving for the first time; however it was a one-time affair commemorating a victory over the British at Saratoga.

Home For the Holidays (movie with Holly Hunter), Love this!!

Me too, K...This is great!! Gotta watch this this year for sure.

Thought this was kinda funny...especially the deep fried turkey parts:

K, they have Home For the Holidays in Parts on you tube...Holly Hunter is def one of my faves!!!

Uh oh -- watch out for the stemware!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEgwvvWqctc

This brought back memories to me, WBB, I grew up in the 60's, but this sure hit home! Helpng my mom make TD dinner for my family...the dressing was a big one and I remember the smells...sage and thyme and we used day old white bread, she'd buy it the day before, so it was dryer than fresh white bread and made it just the right texture. Oh...the memories! 

Thank you, I had forgotten all this great stuff!    :smitten: :smitten: