Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Thanksgiving Distraction Thread

[wa...]

Cranberry Sauce

No, not the homemade whole berry Martha Stewart prenentious kind.  I am one of those crass people who loves the jellied canned Ocean Spray cranberry sauce.  You open both ends of the can and the marvelous stuff slides out with the imprint of the can rings in its side.  I slice it and fan the slices out on a beautiful crystal plate and chill it.  There is nothing better than a mouthful of creamy mashed potatoes and savory gravy or a bite of turkey or a spoonful of dressing with a cold bite of that delicious tart cranberry sauce. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ce...]

• [wa...]

• [Gr...]

• [br...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha - yes I love canned, too.  I put both kinds on the table.  I cuisinart a bag of rinsed cranberries along with 2 de -seeded whole oranges and 3 tablespoons sugar - chill.  This kind definitely clears the palate.  But it's the canned that always disappears altogether. WBB

Wow! Love this on cranberry sauce!...I'd forgotten that idea on opening both ends of the can and slicing the sauce...She, you always explain things so beautifully...you have an unusually wonderful way with words, you could write!... :)

Strange But True Thanksgiving Tale:

This true story involves a tin of gravy bought for the Thanksgiving Day dinner but was used for a completely different purpose in 2007.

A man who was dropping his mother off parked his vehicle in front of the entrance to the nursing home where she resided. At exactly the same time another man was returning his relative by car. Finding that the entrance to the home was blocked, the second man began an argument with the first and eventually threw a can of gravy hitting the first man on the head.  Fortunately, no one was hurt and police from West Valley City, Utah, USA, later said that there would be no charges brought. (corny, I know...but it's true!.. :D)

Hubby retyped it for me (isn't he a doll?!!)... here it is!

Paradise Pumpkin Pie

Bottom Layer:

9 inch pie shell – unbaked

8 oz Cream Cheese – room temperature

2 T Sugar + ¼ t Stevia

½ t Vanilla

1 Egg

Mix well and spread onto bottom of pie shell

Top Layer:

1 Can Organic Pumpkin

1 C Cream

2 Eggs

2 T Sugar + 20 Drops Stevia

1 t Cinnamon + ¼ t Ginger + ¼ t Nutmeg

Dash of Salt

Mix well and pour over bottom layer

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then 1 hour at 350 degrees

D,

This looks so good! It reminds me of that pie at Baker's Square...Something supreme (I think the one I'm thinking of is lemon, in this case), but it puts the regular lemon merangue to shame. You're recipe is going to become a tradition in my household, if you don't mind and thank you!... :-*

You are very welcome! We used to have a Baker's Square where we lived in Ohio - their pies were VERY good. Once I started making this pumpkin pie recipe we never went back to the usual pumpkin pie.

Hubby retyped it for me (isn't he a doll?!!)... here it is!

Paradise Pumpkin Pie

Bottom Layer:

9 inch pie shell – unbaked

8 oz Cream Cheese – room temperature

2 T Sugar + ¼ t Stevia

½ t Vanilla

1 Egg

Mix well and spread onto bottom of pie shell

Top Layer:

1 Can Organic Pumpkin

1 C Cream

2 Eggs

2 T Sugar + 20 Drops Stevia

1 t Cinnamon + ¼ t Ginger + ¼ t Nutmeg

Dash of Salt

Mix well and pour over bottom layer

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then 1 hour at 350 degrees

It's the cream cheese that makes it!  I'll try

I just noticed that we used Stevia to lower the amount of sugar in it. I'm hypoglycemic so we try to do that when we can.

Harvest Festival falls in Sept.

We have a tradition of Sukkot in the Jewish faith. It is a celebration of the harvest and happens after Yom Kippur in the fall. There are many reasons for the celebration but the main one is a thanksgiving to G-d for all his goodness. Open tents are made out of straw and natural materials and are lived in for about a week. All daily and nighttime activities are carried out in the tent during that time. It is a somewhat ' flexible' celebration over most of the world, but in Israel is widely done. Of course they have the climate, which can be challenging. The tents honor the long trek out of Egypt to the Promised land, when our ancestors built primitive shelters in the Sinai desert.

My guilty secret is canned cranberry sauce. I love both kinds, but there is something special about opening that can at the wrong end, plopping out the lovely burgundy jelly, and cutting it on the rings. Is anything better than a turkey and stuffing sandwich with cranberry sauce. To die for. May we all have lovely waves at the holiday, and huge appetites.

We love cranberry sauce too! It's great in a turkey sandwich the next day.  ;)

I agree! My dad used to eat it this way...loved his cranberry/turkey sandwiches. It is good! I've tried them a couple times. When I was small...I couldn't understand why my mom would put this glop of red stuff on her silver, only to put it in the fridge later without it being touched!...then the next day she'd put it to use in those sandwiches....it makes my mouth water, just to think of them...yummy!

Hey - anyone remember the movie Plymouth Adventure?  - You know there are alot of films with a Thanksgiving scene in them.

Thanks WBB...this sounds interesting and will give us something to do TD night!... :)

Estonian Proverb: Who does not thank for little, will not thank for much.

Ha -

So funny, WBB...who could play Wednesday Addams better than Christina Ricci??

Erma Bombeck: No One Diets on Thanksgiving. What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November (depending on the country and culture, of course) when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?

Yes Cece, exactly what we do...

. We too have ocean spray cranberry sauce from the can, slice it on the rings and serve it on a glass plate.....years ago my kids named it "the decoration".  No one here will eat it, but we have it every year because it's tradition :)

. We too have ocean spray cranberry sauce from the can, slice it on the rings and serve it on a glass plate.....years ago my kids named it "the decoration".  No one here will eat it, but we have it every year because it's tradition :)

Exactly! That's what I was doing every year! I would traditionally buy a can of sauce (refrigerate it, even) put it on the table as decoration...put it in the fridge afterwards wait until it grew green thingies on it and toss it...every year I did this! It became a new tradition. Such waste of food...not to mention money! Now I've acquired a taste for it and like it on my sandwiches like my dad did...but how crazy is that, huh?  So funny!

D,

I do love the Eggnog (with just a splash or two of brandy)...yummy!... :crazy: 

Fresh whole cranberries boiled till they pop! Plenty of oranges mixed in and oh the sugar!!! Yummerz!! Brandy egg bogs....ahhhh yummy!!!

Fresh whole cranberries boiled till they pop! Plenty of oranges mixed in and oh the sugar!!! Yummerz!! Brandy egg bogs....ahhhh yummy!!!

Yummy, Hope. We need to partaaayyyyy sometime!...you sound like fun!... :D :D :D

T- Day quote: 

Johnny Carson: Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often.

I love the movie 'Plymouth Adventure'. Just one thing has always bothered me. The pilgrims always look so spic an span. Surely after many days at sea , tossing and turning in awful weather they would have looked pretty dirty. hair a mess, and not nearly so well fed.

I love the movie 'Plymouth Adventure'. Just one thing has always bothered me. The pilgrims always look so spic an span. Surely after many days at sea , tossing and turning in awful weather they would have looked pretty dirty. hair a mess, and not nearly so well fed.

Hah - yes -- there's MGM for you.  But the Rosza soundtrack is good and I love anything with Leo Genn in it -- especially nautical.  The troubles just getting the Mayflower were numerous:  http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/mayflower.htm

True Confessions.

Growing up in the U.K. I had the Hots for Leo Genn.  Going to his movies was part of my early sexual development. Was he in the classic 'High and Mighty' ?. Later, living in California I married a film editor. At the time of our marriage he was working at M.G.M. and I got to eat in the M.G.M. dining room with him. I saw many famous stars there but never Leo. So disappointing.

Sage and Onion Dressing. A favourite with the Dowager Duchess.

True Confessions.

Growing up in the U.K. I had the Hots for Leo Genn.  Going to his movies was part of my early sexual development. Was he in the classic 'High and Mighty' ?. Later, living in California I married a film editor. At the time of our marriage he was working at M.G.M. and I got to eat in the M.G.M. dining room with him. I saw many famous stars there but never Leo. So disappointing.

Sage and Onion Dressing. A favourite with the Dowager Duchess.

How exciting is that?? Wow! The closest I ever got to anyone famous is one time at the grocery store I managed....waaay back when...Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) pulled up in a limo for a pack of smokes. His chauffeur came in for them, of course, so I got to see him through the window of the car. I thought THAT was exciting...the store I worked at was on the way to the airport, I guess it was convenient for him??

Rita Rudner: My mother is such a lousy cook that Thanksgiving at her house is a time of sorrow.

Guess a lot of people have these kinds of relatives...ha!.... :D :D :D

Exactly! That's what I was doing every year! I would traditionally buy a can of sauce (refrigerate it, even) put it on the table as decoration...put it in the fridge afterwards wait until it grew green thingies on it and toss it...every year I did this! It became a new tradition. Such waste of food...not to mention money! Now I've acquired a taste for it and like it on my sandwiches like my dad did...but how crazy is that, huh?  So funny!

D,

I do love the Eggnog (with just a splash or two of brandy)...yummy!... :crazy:

We'll be making our eggnog from scratch with organic ingredients. When hubby serves it he grates a whole nutmeg onto the top and it looks so pretty!  ;D