Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Thanksgiving Distraction Thread

[wa...]

Really Karuna 'The Donner Party'. Just kidding, I used to take tour groups to the ' Donner Pass'. Numbing, but at the same time I always had to stop myself from making macabre jokes.

English Bread Sauce. Sounds disgusting, but is really good.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ce...]

• [wa...]

• [Gr...]

• [br...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Karuna 'The Donner Party'. Just kidding, I used to take tour groups to the ' Donner Pass'. Numbing, but at the same time I always had to stop myself from making macabre jokes.ad

Hi Rabbit!  If you make it it's probably wonderful!!  This might gross out some who have never had it, but I used to make this without question yes n every year....GIBLET STUFFING  yes, the heart, gizzard, liver, neck everything Ergo: Giblet Stuffing...even my pickiest eaters loved this...It was shocking to me!  I asked them if they knew what went into it...they said they did and it was so good ?? Oh well, it was a family tradition on my side, so everyone was happy!.

I found this famous quote from the late great Johnny Carson: 

Johnny Carson: Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday.  People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year.  And then discover once a year is way too often.

OK - other than bread, what is in bread sauce?  If it's turkey parts - can't I cook and remove them?

Are we exchanging recipes?...I'm confused (normal for me)                 

Johnny Carson: Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday.  People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year.  And then discover once a year is way too often.

Really Karuna 'The Donner Party'. Just kidding, I used to take tour groups to the ' Donner Pass'. Numbing, but at the same time I always had to stop myself from making macabre jokes.ad

I found this famous quote from the late great Johnny Carson: 

:laugh:

I've got a great recipe for Paradise Pumpkin Pie!  ;D

OK - I give up, Grandma D -- what is it?  WBB

It's on my computer and right now I'm on my cell phone. So tomorrow afternoon I'll post it. Okay?

OK gma

I didn't know this fact:    Thanksgiving is not celebrated on mainland Australia. However, on the Australian external territory of Norfolk Island, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the last Wednesday of November, similar to the pre-World War II American observance on the last Thursday of the month. This means the Norfolk Island observance is the day before or six days after the United States' observance. The holiday was brought to the island by visiting American whaling ships.

this is a fast an loose thread for distraction - anything Thanksgiving

-- here's an excellent turkey stuffing recipe, BTW

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/classic-roast-turkey-with-herbed-stuffing-and-old-fashioned-gravy-240444

Good article, WBB...they talk about the importance of placing foil over the breast to keep it moist...my momma used to make her's this way and I stuck with the tradition...It comes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook in our family. Betty Cocker calls it Turkey in Foil. It hasn't failed me yet.

Funny T-D story:  I usually had T-D at my home, but this particular year, my sis-in-law wanted to take the reins. No problem...you should be told that this poor girl no matter how hard she tried (and she never gave up trying), she just didn't know how to cook. I've had runny eggs during a campout and swallowed them graciously...an absolutely beautiful expensive piece of beef brisket broiled into shoe leather and then there was this Thanksgiving with 10 of us waiting for dinner. We got there at 2 PM. Dinner was to be at 3. So we played cribbage had a few drinks...help set the table, etc., while waiting for this bird to cook. 5 o'clock came around, kids are getting cranky and all screaming 'IIIIIIII'MMMMMMM Huuuunnnnnggggrrrrryyyy!!! She could only take so much of this...so she said that's it! We're eating.

She took out the bird. Started carving it on the stovetop. She wasn't getting anywhere with this poor tough bird, so she got out her electric knife and handed it to my brother. He started to carve and wasn't making a dint. He got pissed and decided to start pulling it apart with his bare hands...he managed to break some bones, so he piled up whatever he could on the platter. 

Kids were hungry they dug in. They got upset when the found out they couldn't bite into this thing. I tried to take a bite of af a leg and it was like rubber! I just had to get to the bottom of this nightmare...my SIL was in tears. I walked over to the oven and saw that  she had it set at 225 degrees fht. So, she was baking a 15 lb turkey at 250 degree started at 8 am, and expected it to be done in time for dinner at 2. Just another funny cooking story to be added to my sis in laws house of fame!..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wow - hard to believe that a turkey could go so wrong.  I always have consulted cookbooks and internet to avoid disasters.  I actually start with the turkey breast side down in the rack for the first hour so it is not so dry.Someday I would love to have a deep-fried turkey.  I stopped making stuffing in the bird.  I don't know what gave me that idea.

Bread sauce is really easy.

Peel an onion, and put it whole into a pan with 3/4 pint milk. Bring almost to a boil.

Leave 20 minutes. Add 3 oz bread crumbs, 1/2 oz butter and seasoning to taste. I like Lawry's season salt and a dash of pepper. Remove onion and reheat the mouth watering sauce.

We actually don't do Thanksgiving dinner in the U.K. or Colonies. We celebrate the gathering in of the harvest in the churches. The churches are decorated  with flowers, sheaves of corn and autumn vegetables, and special services of thanks are given. People sing special hymns of thanks. It's called 'Harvest Festival' . What the Pilgrims did was to celebrate the harvest and in their case survival, by asking the Indians to dinner along with the religious ritual of thanks, and thus the tradition was started.

I can't help myself. Donner party Thanksgiving, the day after.

Mrs Donner asks, 'Can I fix anything for anyone ?. We have left overs from Mrs Smith'.

Hubby retyped it for me (isn't he a doll?!!)... here it is!

Paradise Pumpkin Pie

Bottom Layer:

9 inch pie shell – unbaked

8 oz Cream Cheese – room temperature

2 T Sugar + ¼ t Stevia

½ t Vanilla

1 Egg

Mix well and spread onto bottom of pie shell

Top Layer:

1 Can Organic Pumpkin

1 C Cream

2 Eggs

2 T Sugar + 20 Drops Stevia

1 t Cinnamon + ¼ t Ginger + ¼ t Nutmeg

Dash of Salt

Mix well and pour over bottom layer

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then 1 hour at 350 degrees

Sorry no great recipes to give, but I'll be stealing a couple!... >:D...Thanks guys!.... :D yummy...they look so good!... :thumbsup:

How did the Mayflower show that it liked America?

Paradise Pumpkin Pie

Bottom Layer:

2 T Sugar + ¼ t Stevia

½ t Vanilla

1 Egg

Top Layer:

1 Can Organic Pumpkin

1 C Cream

2 Eggs

2 T Sugar + 20 Drops Stevia

1 t Cinnamon + ¼ t Ginger + ¼ t Nutmeg

Dash of Salt

Mix well and pour over bottom layer

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then 1 hour at 350 degrees

D,

This looks so good! It reminds me of that pie at Baker's Square...Something supreme (I think the one I'm thinking of is lemon, in this case), but it puts the regular lemon merangue to shame. You're recipe is going to become a tradition in my household, if you don't mind and thank you!... :-*

Bread sauce is really easy.

Peel an onion, and put it whole into a pan with 3/4 pint milk. Bring almost to a boil.

Leave 20 minutes. Add 3 oz bread crumbs, 1/2 oz butter and seasoning to taste. I like Lawry's season salt and a dash of pepper. Remove onion and reheat the mouth watering sauce.

We actually don't do Thanksgiving dinner in the U.K. or Colonies. We celebrate the gathering in of the harvest in the churches. The churches are decorated  with flowers, sheaves of corn and autumn vegetables, and special services of thanks are given. People sing special hymns of thanks. It's called 'Harvest Festival' . What the Pilgrims did was to celebrate the harvest and in their case survival, by asking the Indians to dinner along with the religious ritual of thanks, and thus the tradition was started.

I can't help myself. Donner party Thanksgiving, the day after.

Mrs Donner asks, 'Can I fix anything for anyone ?. We have left overs from Mrs Smith'.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit,

Those poor Donner folks... ;D

I can't wait to try this recipe...it sounds like an easier just-as-tasty stuffing recipe....Easier is better is my motto  in the kitchen.

That's a really interesting bit of trivia, what time of year do you all celebrate?  Happy Harvest Festival!... :smitten: 

Paradise Pumpkin Pie

Bottom Layer:

2 T Sugar + ¼ t Stevia

½ t Vanilla

1 Egg

Top Layer:

1 Can Organic Pumpkin

1 C Cream

2 Eggs