Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

new novel "Imagine Me Gone"

[ac...]

I recently read "Imagine Me Gone" by Adam Haslett http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/books/review/imagine-me-gone-by-adam-haslett.html?_r=0  . Good novel, very moving. The story has at its center a character suffering from anxiety, depression, and ... Klonopin addiction. The character, a young man named named Michael, is very well drawn. We see his humor and wit in early chapters, and we see him deteriorate to a mess as he gets sucked into the vortex of psych drugs in later chapters. The author clearly knows about benzos. It all rings true in the chapters detailing the characters initial introduction to klonopin, his growing usage, and a harrowing chapter toward the end when his family pushes him into a cold turkey withdrawal in a family home in the cold Maine winter, supervised only by his brother. "This can't go well" I thought as I read it, and of course it goes horribly wrong. The writing is superb. The book unfolds like a great tragedy. Recommended, but only if you're healed up enough to stomach a disturbing read.

Thanks, chessplayer. I don't think I could read it just yet but I think I will buy it and put it on my bed headboard for when I can deal with it. I'm still reading junk. But at least I am reading. During my taper, all I could do was watch reruns of television series.  :-[

Katz