Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Are We Recovering During Our Tapers? Or Just Prolonging The Problem?

[Et...]

First off, Jackson I am very sorry that you are doing so poorly and feel so unwell. :(

In looking at signatures, I believe that there is a general pattern seen in people who are having the worst time.  It often involves c/t's, rapids, reinstatements and, sometimes, crossovers.  I hope that everyone just starting this process will spend time evaluating these factors when determining how to proceed.  And, also, looking at and following those who are having a smoother taper.

I do believe that attitude can and does influence outcome.  Ashton states that panic makes things far worse.  It amplifies withdrawal  symptoms.  I have come to believe that crossovers should not be standard procedure - at least not for me - and should only take place when taper from the original benzo is not possible.  It's just my own theory but it makes sense that introducing a different benzo can stress the brain by requiring an adjustment that just may not be necessary - an additional insult to an already stressed brain/CNS.  I'll add that this is only my impression.  I am very glad that I didn't crossover.  I don't believe it will become necessary for me.

Lastly, it's best to avoid "horror stories" as there is absolutely no reason to believe that a reasonable taper will put you there.  Try to remain as calm and optimistic as possible and join with buddies who are handling their taper in this manner.  In the beginning I "flipped out" about getting "this poison" out of my system asap and bought into the "no healing" until you are off.  These thoughts almost caused some very bad results.  Take things as they come and don't buy trouble.  Familiarize yourself with what the "normal" wd sxs are - chances are that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and to be expected.  We just have to roll with things and know that it is all temporary.

Interesting post. You can see by my sig that I have been on 3 months and started taper Monday.  Tapering .01 per day until I reach .30mg. Do you think that is too fast?  Would 10% per week be more realistic?  Any feedback appreciated!

I am doing dry cuts and weighing on a jewelry scale.  Super easy.  I have no withdrawal symptoms yet.  Sometimes I feel a slight headache and shoulder tension in the evening but I get that anyway ;)

To comment on the original question.  If we taper too quickly, we do not heal during our tapers.  In fact, we may actually do more damage.  However, if we taper slowly and wisely, the healing process - the reversal of receptor down-regulation - can begin during the taper.  Of course, final healing begins after this poison and its metabolites have been completely eliminated.

Although I do not know the science behind it i'm with Photobug in that something must be happening during a taper or we would be in agony all the way down, I have days of bad during a cut but I also have days where I feel okay.

It might be that tapering slowly alows us to get used to the lower dose or is that just another way of saying we are healing?

By the way Photobug you look like you are getting close to jumping? :thumbsup:

ReadyFreddy you might be a lucky one that has little trouble getting off these drugs, I hope that is the case and wish you well.  :)

I'll put it as healing.  How else would I feel relatively well, even good, on 2% of my starting dose?  The receptors are repairing themselves as we taper.  Healing is taking place every day.  :thumbsup:

Photo,

I applaud your progress!  When do you plan to "walk off"?

ReadyFreddy you might be a lucky one that has little trouble getting off these drugs, I hope that is the case and wish you well.  :)

Thank you 2trusting! I am hopeful.  Looks like you are almost there as well! Congrats! :thumbsup: I hope to be off sometime in Feb or March depending on sfx.  I may try speeding up but my sfx are so minimal I almost don't want to risk it.  Thanks to everyone who offered input on this topic. It is nice to know we are healing as we taper and makes me less anxious about a slow taper.

I'll put it as healing.  How else would I feel relatively well, even good, on 2% of my starting dose?  The receptors are repairing themselves as we taper.  Healing is taking place every day.  :thumbsup:

Photo,

I applaud your progress!  When do you plan to "walk off"?

@2Trusting and Lynn33:  Thanks  for asking.  I will take my last Lorazepam dose on November 15th, which will end a 34 month direct taper and a 20 year addiction.  A long haul to say the least.  I'll have a lot more healing to do, but at least I'll be free, finally.

Lynn33, looking at your sig, you've come a long way on a bumpy road, my hat's off to you.

I will take my last Lorazepam dose on November 15th, which will end a 34 month direct taper and a 20 year addiction

Photobug, that certainly will be an achievement to be proud of, almost 23 years and you will be able to do what ever or go where ever without a bottle of pills :thumbsup:

I started last November and have been tapering for 7 months and that feels like a lifetime to me.

I can tell you that my severe depression got better when I started to taper even when 1000 other symptoms of wd came up.

After a while other "diseases" I had, got better, too, while I was tapering.

So I agree. You are healing the less poison you are giving your body.. although it does not feel like it..

Marigold,

My severe depression, anxiety and agoraphobia lifted practically overnight.  And then my bad arthritis, edema in feet and hands, headaches, etc., etc. vanished as well!  My gp had diagnosed all manner of ailments that turned out to have been caused by xanax!  :idiot:

Marigold,

My severe depression, anxiety and agoraphobia lifted practically overnight.  And then my bad arthritis, edema in feet and hands, headaches, etc., etc. vanished as well!  My gp had diagnosed all manner of ailments that turned out to have been caused by xanax!  :idiot:

I am so glad to hear that for you... That is so wonderful...

I wish something like this could happen for me ..... I know its not possible because of my history.... I'm trapped....

I hope you continue to do better and better.....

• 2 weeks later...

Photo,

I applaud your progress! When do you plan to "walk off"?

@lynn33:  TODAY!  Reached ZERO today.  My God, what a long road...20 years of use, 34 months of tapering Lorazepam...yes, there has been healing, but it's not complete.  Still a ways to go...