Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

9/11

[wa...]

I don't want to get too out there but I lived in north Jersey through 9/11 and experienced some kind of a collective trauma fallout since I was working in a community mental health agency at the time.  Some of my patients had to watch lower Manhattan  on fire helplessly from the Jersey side -  wondering if their spouse or loved ones made it out  or were safe somewhere.  There was no communication for a long time.  I also had to go into some businesses to counsel workers that, although had little direct connection to the World Trade Towers, had trouble keeping their mind on work many days later.  I saw families with traumatized little kids because they left the TV on too much -- everyone was in shock for weeks.  The feeling that anything could happen and one is not safe was possibly experienced more by people closest to the destruction.  I heard so many stories when I was working -- so bizarre, uncanny and deeply disturbing - I got sort of 9/11 overload in NJ.

I think many, many people got started on benzos due to anxiety following 9/11.  Who could blame them?  They were grieving, not sleeping, unable to work, paranoid, PTSD etc.    It was a trauma that is unspeakable.  WBB

My company that I was working at had merged with another company soon after I gave my notice. I just had a baby and wanted to stay home. Their headquarters was in the World Trade Center. A lot of people were lost in the company. Two of my former co-workers never made it out. They were great women and I think of them every 9/11.

It was not only devastating for the people of NYC, but for the people in the surrounding communities as well. There were plenty of people who commuted to the city every day.

Condolences from the people of the UK on the anniversary of the day when the unthinkable and unbelievable happened. We stand with you on the continuing battle for the defeat of evil and the fight for a better world.

Condolences from the people of the UK on the anniversary of the day when the unthinkable and unbelievable happened. We stand with you on the continuing battle for the defeat of evil and the fight for a better world.

Thanks Gilly. It was very hard on all Americans......Still is, those terrorists from SA were never able to stand trial.

Betsy, I can't believe what Americans went through. But believe me when I say that the tremors were global. It was on the news for weeks, months afterwards. I thought Obama was his usual respectful and understated self today. It will be a shame to say goodbye to his poise and demeanour. Whatever political side people are on, some things transcend politics.

Saudi Arabia.  The best argument in the world for developing alternative energy sources.

Absolutely  :thumbsup: - if they can do it with out poisoning the groundwater.  WBB

Saudi Arabia.  The best argument in the world for developing alternative energy sources.

I agree 100%. Do you know that SA has the worst human right's record in the world? I have a friend who works there (but from some other country) and he says you can walk down a street and see a man crucified but first, his head is cut off. The reason, he took a quick glance at a woman. Men, while walking anywhere, have to look down at the road. And not look up. My friend has been there for 20 years and the other day he emailed me and asked if he should leave. Duh! :idiot::crazy:

Oh gosh Betsy, that's a bit heavy for me! I am in a wave at the moment! Also, I don't want you getting in trouble and I feel a bit responsible....Gilly x

Oh gosh Betsy, that's a bit heavy for me! I am in a wave at the moment! Also, I don't want you getting in trouble and I feel a bit responsible....Gilly x

Sorry, I know you and others are sensitive so I should not have posted this. But you have no reason to feel a bit responsible unless you drove one of the planes...... I am as sensitive as a piece of dirt. It got so bad that me and hubby used to laugh at funerals. Truly. Sad sacks, the two of us. :crazy:

...... I am as sensitive as a piece of dirt. It got so bad that me and hubby used to laugh at funerals. Truly. Sad sacks, the two of us. :crazy:

Well, you know what they say:  "Cynicism is the last refuge of the true idealist." - or something like this.  WBB

...... I am as sensitive as a piece of dirt. It got so bad that me and hubby used to laugh at funerals. Truly. Sad sacks, the two of us. :crazy:

Well, you know what they say:  "Cynicism is the last refuge of the true idealist." - or something like this.  WBB

Well, you hit the nail on the head with that comment. That would be the two of us.........

:laugh: :laugh: