Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to explain Job Gap

[La...]

I'm to the point now where I can try to start looking for jobs as long as its not something where I have to be  on my feet all day. I had to quit my job in january because of withdrawal. So it's been 8 months off work. I had figured that it would be okay to just tell the truth and say I had medical problems that forced me to quit and that's what my previous employer would tell them if they called. My grandma was saying maybe I should say something else because they might think its not a good idea to hire someone with medical issues, but like I said, if they contact my previous employer they'd tell them the reason I quit. What do you guys think?

I'm to the point now where I can try to start looking for jobs as long as its not something where I have to be  on my feet all day. I had to quit my job in january because of withdrawal. So it's been 8 months off work. I had figured that it would be okay to just tell the truth and say I had medical problems that forced me to quit and that's what my previous employer would tell them if they called. My grandma was saying maybe I should say something else because they might think its not a good idea to hire someone with medical issues, but like I said, if they contact my previous employer they'd tell them the reason I quit. What do you guys think?

I would just tell them it was a medical issue that has now resolved and won't be an issue going forward. I've done it in the past and it hasn't been an issue.  :)--V

I read one guy in the same situation, a few years back. I loved it! He said he got kicked in the head by a horse. :laugh:

Betsy :)

Love it! :thumbsup:

I read one guy in the same situation, a few years back. I loved it! He said he got kicked in the head by a horse. :laugh:

That's not far from the truth!    :laugh:

Well I suppose he really felt as if he got kicked by one lol I do too honestly.

Some days I feel the same. So it wouldn't actually be a true lie.

Betsy

Because of the risks of law suits, these days, most employers will not provide any information beyond confirming that you were an employee and the dates of your employment. Would your previous employer really tell a prospective employer that you left due to medical problems?

You could ask your previous employer about how they handle such inquiries. You might even mention that your medical problems are now resolved. If you are in any doubt, you could be sneaky about it and ask a friend with a business to request a reference to see exactly what information your previous employer supplies.

I've been to one job interview and they didnt ask why I had the gap, but asked why I left last employer. I said it was because of medical issues that were now resolved (even though thats not 100% true) and the guy seemed satisfied by that. Hopefully others will be too. I got offered that job but decided I should go for something that is less physical just because im worried i will be too slow at the activities.

Good for you Laura!  You are doing really well! Now other interviews won't be as scary for you, I would think...Let us know how it's going!

~CeCe    :mybuddy:

Holy shit! This actually made me laugh out loud. I haven't had a genuine laugh like that for a while. Thanks benzo girl. I too have been wondering how I would explain this big gap in work history. For when I do go back to work. Now I know what I am going to say . .... ... I got kicked in the head by a horse..... LMFAO awwww geeez that is really great . Really really great .

Awsome :laugh: