Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Who do you trust most? Pharmacist or doctor?

[ra...]

I can only partially trust both of them.  Both professions require extended levels of training which gives the false illusion that they are "above the rest of us."  The reality is that they are merely human and are prone to make errors that can seriously harm people.

Good point. I especially agree to the part that they are "above the rest of us", This IS a false illusion. I used to respect them for their knowledge and educated minds, but, I have since started looking down my nose at many of them. I don't believe all this suffering is necessary, not when I see how much more gentle and humane this could be. It literally sickens me. I doubt I'll ever comfortably trust another doctor.  Sad....but true.    ~CeCe    :'(

RYuka- so a flu shot is not good when you are in withdrawal according to your pharmacist?? Might wait a bit on mine then- till October vs. right now.

I get a flu shot every year and have no trouble with it.........

Pharmacist as he is trying to help and seems to understand. He is new to me as I recently changed to a compounding pharmacist to make my taper pills for me.

My doctor of many years told me that I would not get hooked on K if I took no more than .5mg per day and could stop in a matter of weeks if I wanted.

All he needed to do was alert me to the fact that some people get addicted and have a really hard time getting off of benzos and I would have researched and not even started them.

Part of the problem is that when a person starts taking a benzo, he or she is dealing with some difficult problems in life, just wants relief and is not in a position to do a lot of research.  They are most vulnerable at that point to the B.S. that their doctor is feeding them.  It's basically "okay doctor, whatever you say, I trust you..."  Big freaking mistake!

Tell me about it. I was in the hospital when they put me on Ativan for a life threatening illness and was riddled with anxiety etc.  I guess I needed it then but the DR. wanted me to continue it when I got home as it took me two years to recover from that illness.  He should have known you don't stay on these drugs long term and I should have researched more.  All I can do now is go from here and know better next time.  I think they truly tried to help but made my situation so much worse and now I have no quality of life. 

Pharmacist as he is trying to help and seems to understand. He is new to me as I recently changed to a compounding pharmacist to make my taper pills for me.

My doctor of many years told me that I would not get hooked on K if I took no more than .5mg per day and could stop in a matter of weeks if I wanted.

All he needed to do was alert me to the fact that some people get addicted and have a really hard time getting off of benzos and I would have researched and not even started them.

Part of the problem is that when a person starts taking a benzo, he or she is dealing with some difficult problems in life, just wants relief and is not in a position to do a lot of research.  They are most vulnerable at that point to the B.S. that their doctor is feeding them.  It's basically "okay doctor, whatever you say, I trust you..."  Big freaking mistake!

Thats so true. I saw a lot of persons with suicidal thoughts in mind were given benzos. All got worse. So the benzos saved their lives for - what? 2 weeks? And then took it again away from them. If we as society had other solutions for people in traumatic or difficult situations it would be much easier to help them - and faster.. and no addicts..

RYuka- so a flu shot is not good when you are in withdrawal according to your pharmacist?? Might wait a bit on mine then- till October vs. right now.

I'm not sure if that was an actual pharmaceutical issue or just because he knows how I am about medical stuff. When I was taking antibiotics for h.pylori I pulled him aside for like 20 minutes for details and possible side-effects. I'm sure getting your flu shot while tapering is nbd. It would just cause unnecessary health anxiety for me since that's where most of my anxiety hangs out.

I'm not sure if that was an actual pharmaceutical issue or just because he knows how I am about medical stuff. When I was taking antibiotics for h.pylori I pulled him aside for like 20 minutes for details and possible side-effects. I'm sure getting your flu shot while tapering is nbd. It would just cause unnecessary health anxiety for me since that's where most of my anxiety hangs out.

I got my flu shot this week. No problem, just like the years before.....................

Good to hear Bets- I will get mine soon- don't want to deal with the full blown flu this winter while I am still trying to heal from benzos!

Yes, I've had one for the past 5 years and never had any trouble. I don't even go to the doc's, as I have it done at CVS........Sickness here right now is a  :nono: :nono:

• 2 weeks later...

Doctors ? No. The GP relies on a piece of software to check for drug interactions, he can prescribe based on formal indication but as far as the rest is concerned, he is utterly clueless !

Pharmacists ? Even worse. One said you can taper that off in two weeks ... ! Another one said '4 mg clonazepam=5 mg diazepam', maybe stop taking it !

I feel like I live amongst a bunch of peasants !

Doctors ? No. The GP relies on a piece of software to check for drug interactions, he can prescribe based on formal indication but as far as the rest is concerned, he is utterly clueless !

Pharmacists ? Even worse. One said you can taper that off in two weeks ... ! Another one said '4 mg clonazepam=5 mg diazepam', maybe stop taking it !

Liberty:

That a hot one. Maybe he just graduated from 5th grade...Yikes!

Scary, but I can see this happening!  (that's what's so scary)