Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Who do you trust most? Pharmacist or doctor?

[ra...]

Personally I'd say pharmacist as far as medication is concerned BUT, as a matter of fact, I trust neither ;) The worst aspect of both, in most cases, is they underplay the possible side effects AND completely dismiss serious benzo withdrawal.

Well maybe they're right, who knows, we may well be the neurotic mess subgroup that is statistically insignificant... That said, really, i trust neither because I'm probably in that subgroup :-[

After what I have been through I trust my pharmacist. They can give better tips in tapering drugs. Also I have known pharmacists who do not and will not take prescription drugs. Hum, I wonder why.

Hands down, I trust the pharmacist, in general, much more than any dr.  However, I have found that even many pharmacists have never heard of the severe w/d x/s from benzos that we on this website are dealing with nor have they heard of w/d x/s lasting years upon years as many of us are experiencing. 

Before my mother passed away, her dr. was giving her several prescriptions for different things and when she went to the pharmacy, on more than one occasion, the pharmacist would tell her that a new medication the dr. prescribed could not be coupled with other medications she was taking, b/c it would cause a serious adverse reaction.  Now, shouldn't the dr. have known this and NOT written the prescription.....duh????? :tickedoff:

After this experience and the fact that earlier this year I was put on Prilosec by a doctor and told to take it for the rest of my life as he said it was completely safe (only to find out the horrible adverse effects of it and upon stopping to experience the worst rebound acid reflux), I don't trust anything either want to give me. It's been traumatic attempting to untangle the mess of meds I've been put on all these years. Instead of stopping one, doctors would just pile more on me and all the ones I've stopped I did so on my own.

At one point a psychiatrist even said to me that I was on a ton of medicine (at that point I was on Risperdal, Celexa, Buspbar, Seroquel, Xanax, Klonopin and Lamictal, all for PTSD and insomnia). His solution? Give me gabapentin as I was still experiencing anxiety  :idiot:

Definitely pharmacists, because unlike medical doctors and pyschiatrists they have not been targets of Big Pharma manipulation from the day they started their pre-med studies.  But not unconditionally.  I don't trust any advice 100% unless I can do my own research to either confirm it or reject it.

:-\ Sadly I do not trust either as my doctor betrayed my trust completely after many years a patient.Broke my and broke my heart......Reindeer

Oh brother, let me rephrase something from earlier reply......She broke my trust and my heart.....

It's 2 am and I am having  one of those days or mornings...God love us all :smitten:

Pharmacist as he is trying to help and seems to understand. He is new to me as I recently changed to a compounding pharmacist to make my taper pills for me.

My doctor of many years told me that I would not get hooked on K if I took no more than .5mg per day and could stop in a matter of weeks if I wanted.

All he needed to do was alert me to the fact that some people get addicted and have a really hard time getting off of benzos and I would have researched and not even started them.

Pharmacist as he is trying to help and seems to understand. He is new to me as I recently changed to a compounding pharmacist to make my taper pills for me.

My doctor of many years told me that I would not get hooked on K if I took no more than .5mg per day and could stop in a matter of weeks if I wanted.

All he needed to do was alert me to the fact that some people get addicted and have a really hard time getting off of benzos and I would have researched and not even started them.

Sorry 2trusting,

This is so typical. And I say I'm sorry, bc I know what you're going through and I'm sorry you and all the rest of us have to experience this terrifying thing. It's devastating and horrible to see so many suffering from something that was preventable, and put upon us by people we have put our full trust in. 

Geez, I guess I am the only one on this thread who has a pdoc who is very benzo wise. I guess lucky me. I've had my share of real losers. Too many. One would be too many.

Betsy :)

Geez, I guess I am the only one on this thread who has a pdoc who is very benzo wise. I guess lucky me. I've had my share of real losers. Too many. One would be too many.

Oh, yes, Betsy. I am thoroughly envious! We should all have the same opportunity you got with your dr. It's what we all deserve. I am happy for you.  :) At least you are taken care of the right and humane way. I'm really hoping I can find a good doc like that myself.  :P

Oh, yes, Betsy. I am thoroughly envious! We should all have the same opportunity you got with your dr. It's what we all deserve. I am happy for you.  :) At least you are taken care of the right and humane way. I'm really hoping I can find a good doc like that myself.  :P

Thanks CeCe. He is one of the best in the country. Many on BB want to see him but his practice has been closed for more than 10 years. There is a long line waiting. And he does not script benzos, except for me, in order to taper. Once I am finally finished, no more benzos for any of his patients, no matter what. 80% of his practice in therapy only as he really hates psych drugs. He says they cause more harm than good. All of them. I guess we can all agree on that one. :smitten:

Thanks CeCe. He is one of the best in the country. Many on BB want to see him but his practice has been closed for more than 10 years. There is a long line waiting. And he does not script benzos, except for me, in order to taper. Once I am finally finished, no more benzos for any of his patients, no matter what. 80% of his practice in therapy only as he really hates psych drugs. He says they cause more harm than good. All of them. I guess we can all agree on that one. :smitten:

Yeah, if they all had that attitude, we wouldn't be here! Oh, it just infuriates me every time I think about it!  :tickedoff: I guess I gotta stop thinking about it?? Problem is, it's hard to not think about it when I'm in the throes of w/d!!  :tickedoff:

I trust no one anymore.  Pharmacists are trained to spot med interactions but google can do that now.  I had bad experiences with pharmacists lately because of questioning dosages, refills a day early etc.  I guess the dea is on their butts also but it is beyond humiliating what happened to me.  More than once at CVS.  I get 5 mg. and 2 mg. v for tapering and after them filling it for 4 times previously they called me and wanted to know why I was taking two different strengths of the same med.  It probably was a fill in pharmacist but I was so angry to be questioned.  She said she would have to call the dr.  I told her you filled it 4 previous times and weren't worried then.  Anyway, long story short she called Dr. and he told her for tapering reasons I got the two strengths.  I went in to see him a few days later and talked to him about it and I told him I couldn't understand if I had two written legit scripts for meds what business is it of hers as to why.  He said could have been insurance and not to sweat it, he hears it all the time.  We have enough to contend with without having to be humiliated and put through the wringer by the pharmacy.  I'm so terrified the Drs. will get sick of all this and just stop prescibing, then where will we be.  Dr. does know I am having a hard time but what he really thinks about this w/d who knows.  He is kind to me and understanding but he also is older and probably will retire at some point.  I worry and worry, so sad. 

I once had a so called GP and she was going to script me a muscle relaxer just for a few days because I twisted by back badly. The PA, who knows me, stopped and listened and ran into the room and shouted, Dr. XXXX, she can't take that. It is contraindicated with another medication she is taking. The doctor pretended this did not occur. :tickedoff: I fired her right then and there. Then she wanted to charge me $2 a page for my file, which was about 50 pages long. What an  :idiot:!!!!! I never paid for that charge. Good riddance to bad doctors. She could have made me really sick.

Betsy

I trust no one anymore.  Pharmacists are trained to spot med interactions but google can do that now.  I had bad experiences with pharmacists lately because of questioning dosages, refills a day early etc.  I guess the dea is on their butts also but it is beyond humiliating what happened to me.  More than once at CVS.  I get 5 mg. and 2 mg. v for tapering and after them filling it for 4 times previously they called me and wanted to know why I was taking two different strengths of the same med.  It probably was a fill in pharmacist but I was so angry to be questioned.  She said she would have to call the dr.  I told her you filled it 4 previous times and weren't worried then.  Anyway, long story short she called Dr. and he told her for tapering reasons I got the two strengths.  I went in to see him a few days later and talked to him about it and I told him I couldn't understand if I had two written legit scripts for meds what business is it of hers as to why.  He said could have been insurance and not to sweat it, he hears it all the time.  We have enough to contend with without having to be humiliated and put through the wringer by the pharmacy.  I'm so terrified the Drs. will get sick of all this and just stop prescibing, then where will we be.  Dr. does know I am having a hard time but what he really thinks about this w/d who knows.  He is kind to me and understanding but he also is older and probably will retire at some point.  I worry and worry, so sad.

Freeme I totally get your frustration- that happened to me too at CVS- just think some day when you are off the benzo- no pharmacist or doctor can ever scold you or look down on you again- that thought is what kept me going some days through my taper and I can tell you that not having to order my refills and worry if they will be filled on time is utter joy- yes I still am coping with withdrawal symptoms but I am no longer a prisoner of CVS or my doctor!! You will get there too!!!

I only trust myself.

I get informations from doctors AND pharmacist. Then it compare it to other information I can get from books or so.. then I decide.

• 3 weeks later...
I trust my pharmacist with my life. That dude saved me from an antibiotic that has possible fatal side-effects with clonazepam and told me to hold off on my flu shot until I was done tapering. I hope he makes a ton of money.

RYuka- so a flu shot is not good when you are in withdrawal according to your pharmacist?? Might wait a bit on mine then- till October vs. right now.

I can only partially trust both of them.  Both professions require extended levels of training which gives the false illusion that they are "above the rest of us."  The reality is that they are merely human and are prone to make errors that can seriously harm people.