Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Filing a noise complaint against neighbors dog?

[Re...]

I have been wanting to do this for a long time and after four hours straight of hearing my neighbors dog bark . It's going to happen and I hope it will be resolved. I don't hate dogs or anything of that nature in fact I have two myself. My neighbors dogs bark because they don't take care of them.

I don't understand why they have dogs. They leave them outside all day barking and never play with them or give them love. Now they have gotten a 5 th dog and it is just the last straw for me. Why would they get another if they don't even take care of the old ones?

I am really stressed about filing a complaint with the code enforcement tommorow , but I can't even relax in my own home . The barking is really getting under my skin in a bad way. I don't wanna call the enforcement on them and have given theses people the benefit of the doubt but after two years of it .....

Has anyone else on here had to file a complaint of this nature before?

Thank you

I've been through the dog barking process with the law.  A nabe had dogs in a kennel one year that barked non-stop all day.  I called the cops on them about six times or more.  The owners fought the tickets the cops gave them and I had to go to court as a witness for the cops.  If you live in the US and in my town, if a dog barks longer than 30 minutes, it's against the law.  Can you call the cops first?  I still have a problem with a dog barking.  Pitbull across the creek.  Everytime they let that dog outside, it barks non-stop.  I live in a mobile home park and called the park owner about it.  Nothing's changed, except they don't let it out as often.  It's sad and cruel that they have to keep that dog inside a single-wide trailer all the time, but if it's outside, it barks all the time.  If they weren't so irresponsible, they'd do the right thing and get it a new home for it where someone would walk it and let it outside more.  They never take it for a walk.  Just let it out in the yard for a few minutes each day.  It's so sad and borders on animal cruelty, IMO, but that's the kind of place where I live.   

I've been through the dog barking process with the law.  A nabe had dogs in a kennel one year that barked non-stop all day.  I called the cops on them about six times or more.  The owners fought the tickets the cops gave them and I had to go to court as a witness for the cops.  If you live in the US and in my town, if a dog barks longer than 30 minutes, it's against the law.  Can you call the cops first?  I still have a problem with a dog barking.  Pitbull across the creek.  Everytime they let that dog outside, it barks non-stop.  I live in a mobile home park and called the park owner about it.  Nothing's changed, except they don't let it out as often.  It's sad and cruel that they have to keep that dog inside a single-wide trailer all the time, but if it's outside, it barks all the time.  If they weren't so irresponsible, they'd do the right thing and get it a new home for it where someone would walk it and let it outside more.  They never take it for a walk.  Just let it out in the yard for a few minutes each day.  It's so sad and borders on animal cruelty, IMO, but that's the kind of place where I live. 

Thank you so much for the reply. Yeah it is very sad how people get dogs only to neglect them. To me it seem as though they only like the idea of having a dog and not any of the responsibility it comes with.

I could call the cops but I don't want to end up in a court room . I could not handle that right now. I can't even be in a room in store by myself right now I can't imagine bp bieng confined in a courtroom. I would have a major panic attack .i don't think the neighbor would respond well to the cops bieng called.

I do live in the u.s and they are breaking the sound ordinance in my county big time.

In my town, you can call the cops and ask to remain anonymous.  Maybe you can try that?  I had to give up my identity when I had to go to court as a witness for the cops.  The cop was really nasty to me, too, and I was on his side.  They finally got rid of the dogs.  More cruelty.  Leaving dogs in tiny kennels all day.  Drug-dealing nabe up the street leaves their pitbulls inside a closed confined addition to their trailer all day long with the windows closed and they never go outside.  More cruelty.  I called the park owner on them for the dogs rushing me in the street and barking at me and made them keep them inside.  Now the owner of those dogs abuses me when I walk to the mailbox.  I can't have a dog abusing me when I'm walking to the mailbox.

That is really sad for those dogs trapped inside all day with drug dealers. It is even more sad when children are involved.

Maybe I will just try calling the cops next time. Wouldn't it be better to file a complaint though then I don't have to deal with any cops. The main thing for me is I can't deal with anyone in person right now. I have never had a good experience when dealing with police as well . I feel like they would just be annoyed I called over a dog.

This is all too stressful .  :'(

I agree with Becks. An anonymous complaint by way of a phone call would work enough for the intrusive barking to be addressed. Doesn't have to be the police. Now a days, a simple call to animal control gives authority to have the space and living conditions of how the dogs are being cared for checked. This will for sure get the owners to keep their pets in order. I do not understand why people get dogs and refuse to train them or care for them!

Thank you for the tips. I notified animal control just now ,but the people who take care of those things are not in today. So she said she will see what they can do tommorow. I called the police departments code enforcement line to Make  a anonymous complaint. There is only a answering machine when I called .

It said for me to leave my name and address and they will get back to me . So I just said I wanted to be anonymous . Now I am worried they aren't going to take care of it... I guess we will see.

I am a dog trainer and trained my dogs not to bark outside or at anyone. They don't seem to like to bark anyway, unless they know they are being shown that day. I keep them busy for a 1 hour run every day in a large field, chasing deer and then they like to lay on rafts in my swimming pool all day. Everybody in my neighborhood loves them. I tire them out. And take good care of them. Anyone who would treat an animal with neglect or beat them should be put in jail and the dogs placed in a better home. They should have to take a test before they own one.

Betsy :)

I am a dog trainer and trained my dogs not to bark outside or at anyone. They don't seem to like to bark anyway, unless they know they are being shown that day. I keep them busy for a 1 hour run every day in a large field, chasing deer and then they like to lay on rafts in my swimming pool all day. Everybody in my neighborhood loves them. I tire them out. And take good care of them. Anyone who would treat an animal with neglect or beat them should be put in jail and the dogs placed in a better home. They should have to take a test before they own one.

I couldn't agree with you more. Those dogs next store haven't barked today so i am guessing animal control or code enforcement got out there. Possibly both of them? I think they need it, especially the animal control because thats the humane society and everyone there loves animals. So i know they will inform them how to treat there dogs properly and to hopefully love them.

I am just paranoid they are going to know its me who called. I am hoping they dont i mean they live behind me. They might suspect the people next to them first.

I couldn't agree with you more. Those dogs next store haven't barked today so i am guessing animal control or code enforcement got out there. Possibly both of them? I think they need it, especially the animal control because thats the humane society and everyone there loves animals. So i know they will inform them how to treat there dogs properly and to hopefully love them.

I am just paranoid they are going to know its me who called. I am hoping they dont i mean they live behind me. They might suspect the people next to them first.

I felt the same way when much earlier on, I called the cops on my neighbor who kept beating his wife every night. I got sick to death of it and he ran around with a machete in his hand. I did bad when he approached be and I said it must be the neighbors that live right down the stairs, underneath your condo. I was living alone as I was trying to sell so I could move to where my hubby got a new job. The longest year of my life! That Jamaican guy was nut so. The cops did not give out my name, no matter how many times he asked. Phew!

Yikes that sounds really scary. I couldn't imagine going through that right now.

It was not even before my benzos. He got deported back to Jamaica................Phew!!!!!!

Those dogs next store haven't barked today so i am guessing animal control or code enforcement got out there. Possibly both of them? I think they need it, especially the animal control because thats the humane society and everyone there loves animals. So i know they will inform them how to treat there dogs properly and to hopefully love them.

Good on you Rem for picking up the phone and advocating for whats right.  I tuned in late but I wanted to support you.  Nothing is worse than an endlessly barking dog.  Hopefully this issue is resolved.  WBB

Thanks wannabebetter any support is good for me right now. I am so uncertain while my brain is recovering. Every decision seems a lot bigger to me then it actually is.  :smitten:

We have been through the barking dog neighbor thing. I have called my last neighbors and asked them to shut their barking dog up. This time, our new neighbors got a dog, and it barked all day while they were at work. This time I just let it go and even started wearing ear plugs to sleep. I'm glad I didn't complain because they got rid of the dog recently.

• 4 weeks later...
We have a city ordinance here whereby the offending dog owner gets fined $100 for the first noise report, and the amount doubles for each additional report.  Once they get to around $400 per report, the barking miraculously ceases.  We're in the Real Estate business and this comes up every now and then when a barking dog (or dogs) prevents a property from selling.