Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

His and Hers--Differences between the sexes

[Be...]

Just kidding :D :D :D :D :D :D

So if I'm understanding what you women are saying, men are superior in every way.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that was close!!  :tickedoff:  :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Fl...]

• [co...]

• [be...]

So if I'm understanding what you women are saying, men are superior in every way.

:laugh:

I appreciate a man's strength, stamina, and "get 'er done" mentality.  I couldn't shovel my snow this winter and my male friends did it for me.  That's what men are good at, IMO.  Getting out in the world and doing the heavy lifting.  I appreciate a man who works hard in the workplace and moves up the ladder and brings home the bacon to take care of his families.  I dated a few guys once who wanted to bum money off me.  Turned me off.  From what I've been reading, testosterone is a big player in the sex differences.  What different behaviors are caused by higher testosterone in men than women? 

You are probably onto something Becks. Men and women tend to think and act in their own ways but as you pointed out, some people are wired a little differently and I think that could have an effect on the way you are perceived and treated by both men and women. I doubt if this different treatment from men has malicious intent though.

It isn't that men are intimidated by your "male" brain, but it does throw us off in a way. Women treat effeminate males differently than more masculine males so it isn't just men that change the way they act depending on the personality and temperament of the other party. I think what you experienced with these men could be a combination of the men being thrown off by your problem solving "get it done" attitude and your perception of the way you think that men should interact with women that due to our differences is simply different than the way women interact with each other.

I don't get the impression that these men are intimidated by my "male" brain, but it makes them angry with me when I try to exert it in a problem-solving atmosphere with them, like on a job.  Why do they get angry?  Is it because I am interacting with them like a man would act?  I think possibly they would act that way if another man interacted with them the way I do.  My male friend said I irritate ppl. and he doesn't know why?  It's always when I'm in my "male" logical, problem-solving brain mode that men get mad at me.  One guy I went to elementary school with in the 5th grade was joking and told me as an adult that he hated me in school because I was always the first one to be able to look up a word in the dictionary that the teacher gave us.  I kept doing it over and over again in school and no one else had a chance.  It made me feel good to be the best and in school it was rewarded by the teachers.  Winning spelling bees, etc. I had a wall full of first-place ribbons for sports.  It was heaven to be able to push myself to my maximum limit and succeed.  Then when I got out in the working world, my "do my best" attitude was quelched and I was driven into the ground and my spirit was broken when it not only wasn't appreciated, it was seen as a PIA to the men in my workplace.  I've always been competitive.  I guess it's still part of my personality.  I think I have a man's brain in a woman's body, but I'm not a lesbian.  When I was being abused by my male bosses at various jobs, I just kept saying all the time that I was just trying to do my best each day.  These have been my personal experiences and it does have to do with men.  I don't understand it?   

That's my best guess but it's hard to say without being there Becks.

What different behaviors are caused by higher testosterone in men than women?

For one, higher testosterone levels are responsible for a higher sex drive. A lot of women don't understand why sex is such a big deal to men- well.....that's why. If women had as much testosterone as men they would approach sex a lot differently. Studies done on homosexuals illustrate just how different men and women are in this regard. Gay men = LOTS of sex. Lesbians = not so much.

It is also responsible for increased muscle mass and aggression, competitiveness, and risk taking behavior. It also affects mood, controls the amount of bodyfat that is stored and some of our cognitive functions as well.

That's my best guess but it's hard to say without being there Becks.

What different behaviors are caused by higher testosterone in men than women?

For one, higher testosterone levels are responsible for a higher sex drive. A lot of women don't understand why sex is such a big deal to men- well.....that's why. If women had as much testosterone as men they would approach sex a lot differently. Studies done on homosexuals illustrate just how different men and women are in this regard. Gay men = LOTS of sex. Lesbians = not so much.

It is also responsible for increased muscle mass and aggression, competitiveness, and risk taking behavior. It also affects mood, controls the amount of bodyfat that is stored and some of our cognitive functions as well.

Thats another prejudice I think. Men are considered to think a lot more about sex than woman. New studies say: Nope. Women are thinking about that as much as man, masturbate as much as men, want sex as much as men and cheat on partners as much as men.

Perhaps its a generation or cultural problem,- my experience is that women are thinking exactly like man in that way. The times in which women thought a partnership is good without orgasms but with a good friend at her side,- may be over.

Surprise :laugh:

I go with FG in general but not my case, just like becks. I have watched my three brothers sexual behaviors and my gays friends too as well as hubby and I do think it is that male hormone. The weird thing was I was tested (before benzos) and have low testosterone levels and yet I was offered four athletic scholarships for basketball/field hockey and before benzos, I was a sex maniac. So what gives with that? Sex maniac = low testosterone? I too, have too many sports awards, trophies that I have run out of place for them. I am considered very aggressive in my job, most mainly male dominated but they never bothered me. So I guess I am still confused.......... ??? But I can't fix roofs......or cars. I get males to do it for me. :D

Betsy :)

Thats another prejudice I think. Men are considered to think a lot more about sex than woman. New studies say: Nope. Women are thinking about that as much as man, masturbate as much as men, want sex as much as men and cheat on partners as much as men.

Do you have any links for this?

Every bit of information I have ever seen indicates that this is not true.

Can you read german?

Can you read german?

Claudia can. But I have not seen her around lately.

give me some time and I will translate it with my "Marigold-english":-)

I think I will be bedridden next time so I have a task to do >:(

I go with FG in general but not my case, just like becks. I have watched my three brothers sexual behaviors and my gays friends too as well as hubby and I do think it is that male hormone. The weird thing was I was tested (before benzos) and have low testosterone levels and yet I was offered four athletic scholarships for basketball/field hockey and before benzos, I was a sex maniac. So what gives with that? Sex maniac = low testosterone? I too, have too many sports awards, trophies that I have run out of place for them. I am considered very aggressive in my job, most mainly male dominated but they never bothered me. So I guess I am still confused.......... ??? But I can't fix roofs......or cars. I get males to do it for me. :D

Betsy :)

What type of work did you do?  When I was young, I worked in an environmental and research testing lab with a male boss and male coworker, and it worked out fine because I worked independently and my boss was nice.  It's when I got into the VERY male-dominated materials testing and road construction inspection work that I ran into trouble with the men and aggressive "male" women.  I was a Construction Inspector and that was horrible.  People in the road-building industry have always been a problem for me on the job.  The work is very difficult to learn and know and alot of ppl. don't know it and it causes conflict.  When I worked in the medical field doing abstracting work, I worked with all women and didn't have too much trouble because I worked independently.  Some of the women who complained all day about their husbands and bf's and gossiped about ppl. on the job and others, I had problems with because I don't like those types of women and wouldn't make friends with them and join in.  It felt like aggressive behavior in the women I worked with who gossiped about others on the job.  It's like they were attacking ppl. with their words.  I wonder if women who are mean and verbally aggressive have high T? 

How do you explain low T and high sex drive in women?  Wrong test result given to you, Bets?  :laugh:     

I will translate it.. hope I can google most of the terms...  8)

Marigold, there should be several ways to easily translate a web page ... I'm too impaired to look into it myself right now ... but to save you all that trouble, why not just post the link here and we can try to copy the link and then paste it into a Google search.  Often it will give the option of translating the page into English right there in the search results.

Hope I'm making sense, am struggling a little/a lot tonight, but hoping to save you all that effort.  :thumbsup:  Looking forward to reading it.

Some of the women who complained all day about their husbands and bf's and gossiped about ppl. on the job and others, I had problems with because I don't like those types of women and wouldn't make friends with them and join in.  It felt like aggressive behavior in the women I worked with who gossiped about others on the job.  It's like they were attacking ppl. with their words.  I wonder if women who are mean and verbally aggressive have high T? 

Since women are the physically weaker sex they prefer to fight their battles with words instead of fists. Their aggression tends to be a lot more passive aggressive in nature.

Men aren't any more evil than women, we are just much more direct when we do it so it might seem that we are.

Some of the women who complained all day about their husbands and bf's and gossiped about ppl. on the job and others, I had problems with because I don't like those types of women and wouldn't make friends with them and join in.  It felt like aggressive behavior in the women I worked with who gossiped about others on the job.  It's like they were attacking ppl. with their words.  I wonder if women who are mean and verbally aggressive have high T? 

Since women are the physically weaker sex they prefer to fight their battles with words instead of fists. Their aggression tends to be a lot more passive aggressive in nature.

Men aren't any more evil than women, we are just much more direct when we do it so it might seem that we are.

I think that just might depend on the woman FG.  ;)

The men I've known can get angry and then forget about it quickly, whereas, the women I've know have memories like steel-traps and hold a grudge, until amends are made.  Women I've known can stay mad at another woman for life.  Men get over it and also don't gossip all day long like the women I've known.  What's with that?  Do you think men talk more than women do?  They say women talk more than men, but that hasn't been my experience.

I can't resist.  I'll make a comment and try to watch what I say. . . . I read that men's and women's brains are structurally different.  The corpus callosum that connects the right and left hemispheres, is thicker in women than in men.  What I read said that it allows women to utilize both sides of their brain at the same time or move between the left and right more efficiently, while men tend to use their logical, left side hemisphere, more predominantly. 

According to Gina Rippon, neuroscientist (featured in that debate I posted earlier), there are absolutely no structural differences whatsoever between the male and female brain.  You can Google her, you'll find lots of articles about her research on this.  Here's just one ...

https://theconversation.com/are-male-and-female-brains-really-different-54092

When I was young, I worked in an environmental and research testing lab with a male boss and male coworker, and it worked out fine because I worked independently and my boss was nice.  It's when I got into the VERY male-dominated materials testing and road construction inspection work that I ran into trouble with the men and aggressive "male" women.     

Maybe there's part of your answer, Becks.  Environmental.  Switch the environments on these two sets of men and what are the chances, do you think, that they'll also "switch" behaviors in order to adapt/fit in/get the job done?

There you go.  Back to your initial posts, would this not just prove how women can be equally as aggressive and competitive and certainly (from my point of view speaking as a woman) not all wonderfully peace-loving at all.  And now all the gals can come at me ;D but in the work environment for sure, I find it way, way, *WAY* more peaceful to have a good proportion of men in the mix.  If I think back to the main altercations and incidences of sh*t disturbing I've personally encountered, both in and outside of the workplace (thankfully, they've been fairly limited) .... I gotta tell ya, the women FAR outnumber the men!  No contest!

Hmmmmm?  ;)

I read this info. on WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/brain/features/how-male-female-brains-differ#1

This article is confusing to me?  On the one hand they're saying that men and women are a mosaic of male/female, but then further into the article they're saying their brains are different.  I think the MRI studies don't see a difference in structure, but the scientists are finding neural circuitry differences in male/female brains.  Women have more neural circuits between their right and left hemispheres--corpus callosum?-- allowing them to be both intuitive and logical at the same time, while men tend to just be more logical.  Maybe someone can understand this better than I can?  I have dementia now.  I know when I've done jobs and fixed things, I used my intuition--paused for awhile to figure out how to do something.  I did read somewhere that men have larger brains than women.  All I know for sure is that men are different than women and behave differently.  I've been close friends with two men both for over 25 years and they are very different than I am and they are both similar to all the men I've known in my life.  I'm 55 now and have been around and worked with many men and women.  Women are very different than men.  I think it's the sex hormones we're born with that cause the formation of the neural circuitry wiring in the brain throughout life?  Just a guess.

Another article about the differences:

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/news_releases/2013/12/verma/

What the heck is considered a brain "structure?"  Gross anatomy and not microscopic?  Neural circuits aren't structures?  They exist in time/space? 

Once had an interesting convo with a lesbian friend/acquaintance, who described it as being all about the "emotional" aspect, rather than a physical preference.  Also heard an interview with Camille Paglia (bisexual feminist) where she claims she's only ever actually fallen in love with women.  Just a couple of examples, I guess, in support of the fact that women, in general, crave emotional intimacy moreso than men.  I know for myself I can easily say that I genuinely *love* several of my girlfriends, not just "like" them, it goes much, much deeper than liking.  (Does this make me an emotional lesbian perhaps?  :laugh:).  But seriously, I personally don't know too many straight men who can feel and/or admit to having the same same-sex experience? 

Now what's *that* all about?  FG?  Confused1?  Hmmm?  8)

Once had an interesting convo with a lesbian friend/acquaintance, who described it as being all about the "emotional" aspect, rather than a physical preference.  Also heard an interview with Camille Paglia (bisexual feminist) where she claims she's only ever actually fallen in love with women.  Just a couple of examples, I guess, in support of the fact that women, in general, crave emotional intimacy moreso than men.  I know for myself I can easily say that I genuinely *love* several of my girlfriends, not just "like" them, it goes much, much deeper than liking.  (Does this make me an emotional lesbian perhaps?  :laugh:).  But seriously, I personally don't know too many straight men who can feel and/or admit to having the same same-sex experience? 

Never could feel an emotional connection with a man like I could with a female friend.  I always felt like there was a huge barrier up between me and men.  What is intimacy with men? 

According to Gina Rippon, neuroscientist (featured in that debate I posted earlier), there are absolutely no structural differences whatsoever between the male and female brain.  You can Google her, you'll find lots of articles about her research on this.  Here's just one ...

https://theconversation.com/are-male-and-female-brains-really-different-54092

I haven't studied structural differences so I can't comment on that but even if they are identical structurally in every way that doesn't mean that men and women do not think and act differently due to other fundamental biological differences.

Does benzo withdrawal not exist because it doesn't cause structural damage? Many or most of us who have been through know that we think and act like different people despite the fact that our brains have not been structurally altered. Two computers that have identical hardware will run very differently with different software.

I think that just might depend on the woman FG.  ;)

Of course, but if you took 100 random women and 100 random men this would hold true for the vast majority of them.

Sounds like it supports the idea that men are generally more interested in sex (the physical act) than women.

As far as your emotional lesbianism....I don't know....I think you may have just invented a new term  ???

Hi FG  :hug: Fk ''studies'' as a women I can validate that personally  I probably think about sex as much as man on a good day, used to think about it a LOT pre-withdrawal Definitely  wanted sex as much as  the men in my life if not more, can't have it now as ex dumped me while in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal same as others here on on BB  ::)

Couldn't have it now even if I was with some one as much as the mind wants to the body wouldn't have it as I can't even masturbate as its send me into a wave or a worse one when in a wave  :D so that's a no go area.  And was never a cheater but know as many women as men who are. Also conversation of a sexual nature among a group of women friends is as lewd if not more on times as it is among male friends, and I'm more of a man's woman than woman's woman. Feminine but like hanging with the guys so I know what I'm talking about, and I am also planning to be a freaking  sex maniac once this is over as well  ;)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi FG  :hug: Fk ''studies'' as a women I can validate that personally  I probably think about sex as much as man on a good day, used to think about it a LOT pre-withdrawal Definitely  wanted sex as much as  the men in my life if not more, can't have it now as ex dumped me while in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal same as others here on on BB  ::)

Couldn't have it now even if I was with some one as much as the mind wants to the body wouldn't have it as I can't even masturbate as its send me into a wave or a worse one when in a wave  :D so that's a no go area.  And was never a cheater but know as many women as men who are. Also conversation of a sexual nature among a group of women friends is as lewd if not more on times as it is among male friends, and I'm more of a man's woman than woman's woman. Feminine but like hanging with the guys so I know what I'm talking about, and I am also planning to be a freaking  sex maniac once this is over as well  ;)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I gotta say, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sex!!! More so without w/d, but I haven't stopped because of it!    ;) I find it helps to take some of the stress away and even helps me sleep better afterwards..... ::)

[ee...]