Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

His and Hers--Differences between the sexes

[Be...]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Fl...]

• [co...]

• [be...]

This might help to explain things ...  ;)

Funny, but it's a little short on explanations  :-\

Just trying to lighten up the mood around here a bit ... wouldn't you know it, now I have that song stuck in my head. I may have to rearrange the lyrics though, lol.

Yesterday I watched several youtube videos, I thought it'd be interesting to see what people have to say about the differences between men and women.

Chris Rock had me in hysterics but I guess it might be too raunchy to put up here. Russell Peters was funny too.

But then I came across this video of Lewis Wolpert, you might find it interesting. I think he's a developmental biologist?

It's about half an hour. I was only able to watch for 10 minutes because my attention span is still pretty bad and I get too fidgety, but I was fascinated by what he has to say.

The idea that we're a society of cells is really cool! And of course men are just modified women, lol.

Here goes:

Lewis Wolpert: Physical and Psychological Differences Between Men and Women

Chinook  :)

Chinook, I did the same and busted a gut on Chris Rock! His bit about women not going back financially and men not going back sexually had me in tears. But yes, too raunchy to link. But we've planted a seed...

Chinook, I did the same and busted a gut on Chris Rock! His bit about women not going back financially and men not going back sexually had me in tears. But yes, too raunchy to link. But we've planted a seed...

[/quot

Yeah that had me in fits too. May have to start a thread on it.

I can just see it now ...  :laugh:

[/quot

It's a shame we can't just acknowledge our differences and laugh about it. I loved your other post too from My Fair Lady, in fact that's what started me searching! I love women but you are all crazy! :idiot: What gets me is when I do something nice for my wife and she cries. "I'm crying because I'm Happy." Crazy!!! :D :D :D

[/quot

It's a shame we can't just acknowledge our differences and laugh about it. I loved your other post too from My Fair Lady, in fact that's what started me searching! I love women but you are all crazy! :idiot: What gets me is when I do something nice for my wife and she cries. "I'm crying because I'm Happy." Crazy!!! :D :D :D

Sometimes Mr. Chin does nice things for me too. I'll have to ask him if I've ever cried over any of them. But I have to wait for a commercial, he's watching TV.  ::)

You're cool.

It's good to laugh about our differences. Maybe we need to spend some time celebrating the similarities between the sexes too? I think so.

Chinook  :)

Comedians are usually spot on about things like this and they can get away with saying things that other people can't. If you like the Chris Rock clip Dave Chapelle has a similar bit.

Lewis Wolpert: Physical and Psychological Differences Between Men and Women

Many of his points are solid but he is obviously trying to sell something to women as it is heavy with anti-male propaganda. This "boys are bad" nonsense is a big part of the reason why men and women have a harder time seeing eye to eye these days.

As I said I only watched about 10 minutes of it, I lose the ability to focus.

I'll try and catch up with it today. Glad you took the time to listen though.  :thumbsup:

I'll try and catch up with it today. Glad you took the time to listen though.  :thumbsup:

He does a good job of touching on some of the points about how we are biologically different which is fundamental to understanding why men and women are the way they are. It looks like he is selling a book that is targeted at women which explains the anti-male slant and the "men are just modified women" theory. I don't agree with that tactic but at least he hits a few points that help explain some of these differences.

I still need to dig up some material that helps explain this better. I like discussing it but I don't have time to write my own dissertation  ???

Personally, I think it's all about genre stereotypes. I've been called 'gay' or 'feminine' several times just because I'm introvert and don't like to compete, and somewhat kinder than the average guy out there. Aggresivity just doesn't belong to me. It's all about personality, education and loads of other factors may influence one's behaviour.

:idiot: I think there are a lot of shades and not just 'boy' or 'girl'.

I think its all due to education. If you would raise a girl like a boy or vice versa you would not have the big differences. Gender is not the problem. The problem is the expectation and its typical for humans that we have to categorize. Its the role we are creating over decades! And we decided to have two, boys and girls. Some times nature shows us that she is much smarter and theres a lot more - so we call that "sick" or "unnatural" - how ridiculous.

I hate all kind of stereotypes. I am convinced that a man can do the mother-role as well as a woman, and on the other hand a woman can do the job of a male. I know women playing the typical male role in the family and I know men who are at home and raise the kids. I saw men abuse women and I saw women beating men.

Thanks for sharing, Chin, entertaining. :thumbsup:

This debate I really enjoyed.

"Are mental differences between the sexes real?

Many neuroscientists believe disorders of the mind will be solved when we understand the differences between the male and female brain. Yet it is frequently argued that men and women are not born but made. Are mental differences between the sexes real? Or is this just sexism dressed up as science?

Cambridge psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen, Darwinian philosopher Helena Cronin and eminent neuroscientist Gina Rippon investigate."

Please don't leave becks. People want your take as well as their own.

Thanks for asking me to stay, but I don't want to risk getting into trouble anymore with things I post.  I get called on alot of stuff now.  I'm on eggshells when I post anything now, and very sensitive to getting in trouble and reprimanded now with my bad nerves.  I'm afraid I'll get banned.  Can't join in on the discussion, or watch the Youtubes, because I'm on dialup, but I'll read the posts.   

I think its all due to education. If you would raise a girl like a boy or vice versa you would not have the big differences. Gender is not the problem. The problem is the expectation and its typical for humans that we have to categorize. Its the role we are creating over decades! And we decided to have two, boys and girls. Some times nature shows us that she is much smarter and theres a lot more - so we call that "sick" or "unnatural" - how ridiculous.

I hate all kind of stereotypes. I am convinced that a man can do the mother-role as well as a woman, and on the other hand a woman can do the job of a male. I know women playing the typical male role in the family and I know men who are at home and raise the kids. I saw men abuse women and I saw women beating men.

I disagree, and this denial of the differences between the sexes is another big part of the reason why everyone is having a hard time getting along. I don't have any links bookmarked but there are quite a few studies that have been done recently that show that there are significant biological differences and that conflicts arise when we do things that do not account for these differences.

This is pretty easy to see right here on BB as many women will attest to having more issues with their benzo symptoms depending on where they are at in their menstrual cycle.

Hormones play a huge role in how we operate and men and women just are not wired the same so we think and act quite a bit differently and from what I hear these hormonal changes can cause all kinds of physical and mental changes in women at certain times of the month  :-\.

If we were different Becks wouldn't have to ask these questions.

Looks like an interesting video. I am going to try to watch it later.

Thanks for sharing, Chin, entertaining. :thumbsup:

This debate I really enjoyed.

"Are mental differences between the sexes real?

Many neuroscientists believe disorders of the mind will be solved when we understand the differences between the male and female brain. Yet it is frequently argued that men and women are not born but made. Are mental differences between the sexes real? Or is this just sexism dressed up as science?

Cambridge psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen, Darwinian philosopher Helena Cronin and eminent neuroscientist Gina Rippon investigate."

I started to watch the video and it looks really interesting but I only got about 3 or 4 minutes into it because the moderator uses his hands a lot when he talks and I find it very annoying, lol.

Mr Chin does that a lot especially when we're in his car and it makes me crazy.  Just another residual quirk from benzos. Seems there's no end to them.  ::)

I'll watch it in it's entirety later.

Thank you thank you and I hope you have the nicest day.

Chin xx

Chin, funny you say that.  I'm unable to sit and watch these long videos so I mainly just listen.  The Mod, Mark Salter, even just listening to him, I found him soooo annoying!  I think he was frustrating the panelists a little too.  >:(

I wish there were a transcript available for you to read, Becks, or I were able to somehow summarize the three pitches for you, but unfortunately am just not up to it.  Maybe someone else will volunteer.  ;) 

It's interesting, one video leads to another to another.  I'll post a couple of interesting ones I came across on Benzos in the News when I can get my act together.  (Am so not a fan of Mark Salter at all.  Just your everyday psychiatrist).  ::)

Here's another interesting talk by Gina Rippon.

Fighting The Neurotrash

Women are better at empathising; men are better at reading maps. That's because their brains are different, isn't it? Can stereotypes such as these actually change how brains work and make 'gender neuromyths' come true?

Neuroscientist Gina Rippon wades through the 'Mars and Venus' neurotrash to give us the lowdown on whether there is any such thing as a 'female' or a 'male' brain. Chaired by Chi Onwurah MP.

I like the way she tells it as it is, "neurotrash", people pretending they know things about the brain when in fact they know practically nothing.  And which the field of psychiatry, as we know, is especially notorious for doing.  I'm a bit fogged myself, so maybe I've missed something, but she seems to focus entirely on brain imaging.  No talk at all about hormones, etc, and other such "things" which cannot be imaged.

I disagree, and this denial of the differences between the sexes is another big part of the reason why everyone is having a hard time getting along. I don't have any links bookmarked but there are quite a few studies that have been done recently that show that there are significant biological differences and that conflicts arise when we do things that do not account for these differences.

This is pretty easy to see right here on BB as many women will attest to having more issues with their benzo symptoms depending on where they are at in their menstrual cycle.

Hormones play a huge role in how we operate and men and women just are not wired the same so we think and act quite a bit differently and from what I hear these hormonal changes can cause all kinds of physical and mental changes in women at certain times of the month  :-\.

If we were different Becks wouldn't have to ask these questions.

Looks like an interesting video. I am going to try to watch it later.

And here is why.....

Psychotropic Drugs Affect Men and Women Differently http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/psychotropic-drugs-affect-men-and-women-differently/

Drug Problem

Women aren't properly represented in scientific studies. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/07/drug_problem.html

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I believe men are more represented in studies owing to a sense of chivalry. If a drug was going to be tested on a member of my family, it would be me. No way would you get within an inch of my wife to test something. I would take a bullet for her. I'm not arguing right or wrong, just saying how that came to be. I have nine boys and if I ever caught one of them not opening a door for a lady they would be in big trouble. It's a reflex for many men.

I believe men are more represented in studies owing to a sense of chivalry. If a drug was going to be tested on a member of my family, it would be me. No way would you get within an inch of my wife to test something. I would take a bullet for her. I'm not arguing right or wrong, just saying how that came to be. I have nine boys and if I ever caught one of them not opening a door for a lady they would be in big trouble. It's a reflex for many men.

Very Noble  :hug: But chivalry it ain't when it comes to pharmaceutical companies, it only takes a tiny amount of a drug to poison, damage, or kill a women as opposed to a man. That's why they don't use women so the drugs get passed on male data as being 'safe'' but used for both sexes in the same dose and  children of all ages as well.  >:(

Also ''race specific drugs''  what certain races can take in whatever amounts with non or minimal problem will damage and possibly wipe out certain races. The drug companies run the medical profession lock stock and barrel their not a separate entity but all the same money making machine. Talk about licensed to kill and getting away with murder Doctors mistakes and drugs kill limitless people everyday, look it all up on the web . :(

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

These are good points, Nova. This underscores that there are indeed very important differences between the sexes and between different races. People might not think it is a big deal to make distinctions but what if someone's life depends on it?

I can't resist.  I'll make a comment and try to watch what I say. . . . I read that men's and women's brains are structurally different.  The corpus callosum that connects the right and left hemispheres, is thicker in women than in men.  What I read said that it allows women to utilize both sides of their brain at the same time or move between the left and right more efficiently, while men tend to use their logical, left side hemisphere, more predominantly.  I think some of my problems in life with men is that I used to have a good logical rational mind and natural mechanical ability, which are more male traits, from what I've read.  I think I have more of a man's brain?  I never was the nurturing type but was athletic and into sports when I was young and enjoyed school and learning and fixing things.  I end up competing with men without intending to when we interact about logical, mechanical, electrical, etc. things.  I just want to express what I know and use my mind to my best ability.  I've had many motorcycles and cars and even trucks and if someone would show me once how to fix something, I never forgot it, and could take that knowledge and fix other things.  I used to do my own plumbing and take care of my own home, the roof and painting it, etc.  My two male friends tried to fix my kitchen sink and couldn't and then I got in there and fixed it and it hasn't leaked since.  My one male friend couldn't get a fitting to stop leaking and I kept telling him to let me do it.  Water was squirting all over the place and I just pushed my way past him and grabbed the wrench and got the leak stopped.  It made him angry, but I got it fixed.  I had to get the flood stopped in my home from the leak.  What else could I do?  I've been cursed with a man's brain in an emotional woman's body.  I wish I didn't used to have mechanical ability or a logical mind so much.  I don't now because I have dementia, but I used to have a good mind.  I've had to fight all my life with the men in my life to be able to express myself and my abilities.  Just examples of experiences with men in my life and trying to understand why there has been conflict for me.  I'm afraid to hit the Post button.  I hope I don't get in trouble again for the content I'm posting.  I'm not trying to offend anyone.     

You are probably onto something Becks. Men and women tend to think and act in their own ways but as you pointed out, some people are wired a little differently and I think that could have an effect on the way you are perceived and treated by both men and women. I doubt if this different treatment from men has malicious intent though.

It isn't that men are intimidated by your "male" brain, but it does throw us off in a way. Women treat effeminate males differently than more masculine males so it isn't just men that change the way they act depending on the personality and temperament of the other party. I think what you experienced with these men could be a combination of the men being thrown off by your problem solving "get it done" attitude and your perception of the way you think that men should interact with women that due to our differences is simply different than the way women interact with each other.

[ca...]