Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

His and Hers--Differences between the sexes

[Be...]

Why are men and women so different?  I could never understand men and want to know what motivates them and makes them tick?  Why do men fight and compete with each other so much and women mostly try to get along?  Why do men like sports so much?  Why do men have tempers? 

edit: content

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Fl...]

• [co...]

• [be...]

Men fight and compete so that only the best genes are passed along. Have you ever crumpled up a piece of paper and shot it into the wastebasket? There is a feeling that comes over you when you make a really great shot that can't be explained if you've never made one. Men have tempers due to testosterone levels which fuel aggression.

edit: content

When men fight and compete on the job, what is that motivation?  They aren't fighting for a woman?  I can't get a grasp on it.  Is it just in their genes to be like that?  Do all men want to be kings?  I heard a respected man on the radio say once that men love war.  What's that all about?  We wouldn't have wars if men weren't on this planet.  Normal women don't like to fight.  I hate fighting and conflict and always was cooperative in school and at work and wanted everyone to get along.  I've been so abused by men and their aggressiveness.  They've ruined my life, putting me down and abusing me, just because I wanted to assert myself, especially on the job.  I could never express my opinion or have any ideas without men arguing with me or ignoring me.  The guy who gets me my food ALWAYS argues with EVERYTHING I say.  I told him he makes me feel like crap all the time.  He won't apologize and doesn't see a problem with the way he treats me.  Why are men like that?  Why won't men listen to women when they have something to say that might be helpful to them?

Some content has already been removed from the first few posts, so please use your best judgment in posting.  The team will be monitoring this thread as the subject matter has the potential to go off the rails.

Thanks,

Challis

When men fight and compete on the job, what is that motivation?  They aren't fighting for a woman?  I can't get a grasp on it.  Is it just in their genes to be like that?  Do all men want to be kings?  I heard a respected man on the radio say once that men love war.  What's that all about?  We wouldn't have wars if men weren't on this planet.  Normal women don't like to fight.  I hate fighting and conflict and always was cooperative in school and at work and wanted everyone to get along.  I've been so abused by men and their aggressiveness.  They've ruined my life, putting me down and abusing me, just because I wanted to assert myself, especially on the job.  I could never express my opinion or have any ideas without men arguing with me or ignoring me.  The guy who gets me my food ALWAYS argues with EVERYTHING I say.  I told him he makes me feel like crap all the time.  He won't apologize and doesn't see a problem with the way he treats me.  Why are men like that?  Why won't men listen to women when they have something to say that might be helpful to them?

This post is a good example of what not to write here.  Becks, amongst other things, this is sexist and is a complaint about someone specific, both of which need to be avoided.  You've given this guy a bashing in your blog a few times, no need to carry on here about it.  The topic (which you started) is 'Why are men and women so different?'

This thread is probably doomed to be closed, but in case there's a chance some reasonable discussion might come of it we'll leave it be for now.

As in politics and religion, I don't see a positive discussion coming from this.

I just wish we could have civil informative discussions in the Off Topic areas?

When men fight and compete on the job, what is that motivation?  They aren't fighting for a woman?  I can't get a grasp on it.  Is it just in their genes to be like that?  Do all men want to be kings?  I heard a respected man on the radio say once that men love war.  What's that all about?  We wouldn't have wars if men weren't on this planet.  Normal women don't like to fight.  I hate fighting and conflict and always was cooperative in school and at work and wanted everyone to get along. I've been so abused by men and their aggressiveness. They've ruined my life, putting me down and abusing me, just because I wanted to assert myself, especially on the job.  I could never express my opinion or have any ideas without men arguing with me or ignoring me. The guy who gets me my food ALWAYS argues with EVERYTHING I say.  I told him he makes me feel like crap all the time.  He won't apologize and doesn't see a problem with the way he treats me.  Why are men like that?  Why won't men listen to women when they have something to say that might be helpful to them?

This post is a good example of what not to write here.  Becks, amongst other things, this is sexist and is a complaint about someone specific, both of which need to be avoided.  You've given this guy a bashing in your blog a few times, no need to carry on here about it.  The topic (which you started) is 'Why are men and women so different?'

This thread is probably doomed to be closed, but in case there's a chance some reasonable discussion might come of it we'll leave it be for now.

As in politics and religion, I don't see a positive discussion coming from this.

This is incredibly sexist, Becks.  Not sure how much more sexist it gets.  It couldn't be further from a civil discussion if it tried.

Any more of it and we will be locking this thread.

confused: Hey:

Before this thread gets locked, I want to say I'm sorry I didn't respond to your thread that was locked. The blue vs red pill, ya know? You are not chopped liver to me and I hope all if well with you. :smitten:

BTW. I don't care whether men and women are different. It just makes for a more interesting life, to me. I still wish I was married to my X (such a nice guy), but the benzos shut our relationship down. Darn these drugs!

Betsy :)

There is huge variation within both sexes as well as differences between the sexes.  Men can be incredibly passive as well as aggressive and women can be very dominant.  I guess it is all in our hormones.  It is a case of finding people that you can get on with and avoiding those whose company you don't enjoy.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am fascinated by this subject so I hope I can respond in more detail when I get time but I just wanted to say that I think Becks is genuinely curious about these differences and open to talking about them so I don't take offense to her statements. I was very frustrated by women until I started digging into the mechanics of why people are the way they are. When you use biology to shed light on subjects like this most of it starts to make perfect sense.

Thanks Bets I was just teasing, you've always been polite to me.

I know. But since your name is confused.................well? :laugh:

:D :D :D I catch a lot of grief for that name but it reflects my state of mind when I first found this site. I just couldn't believe that quitting a few months use of xanax could cause the horror I was going through. But I get a kick out of the jokes now so I never changed it. :idiot: I just want to say I also was not offended by becksblue, I think she has genuine questions and I was trying to be truthful. I don't think she is disparaging men so much as relating her own experience. But I won't argue with the moderators.

Becksblue, you just haven't met the right guy for you yet. 

Sorry if that's a cliche.

Do not compromise. It is better (lots)to be on your own than with the wrong guy. You deserve the best and I'd suggest that you get all this Benzo stuff out of the way before you concentrate on finding a suitable guy.

I believe the best relationships evolve through friendship. But that might just be me!

Good Luck.  Gilly x

:D :D :D I catch a lot of grief for that name but it reflects my state of mind when I first found this site. I just couldn't believe that quitting a few months use of xanax could cause the horror I was going through. But I get a kick out of the jokes now so I never changed it. :idiot: I just want to say I also was not offended by becksblue, I think she has genuine questions and I was trying to be truthful. I don't think she is disparaging men so much as relating her own experience. But I won't argue with the moderators.

I like becks too. She's having just a terrible go of it. :'(

I feel like the mods want me to leave the forum because of what I write.  I have dementia now and sometimes don't explain myself very well because I can't anymore.  I have terrrible confusion and can't express what I want to say, but I try.  I was just trying to get some serious answers.  I worked in a male-dominated industry and I used to see the men fist fight on the job and put each other down and fight with each other every single day.  My male friends all through the years talked about men on the job all the time and how they never got along and they would always put other men down.  I've been abused by men in every job I've ever had and by some aggressive women.  I used to have a good mind and was good at my jobs and when I would disagree with a man on the job, he would get mad at me.  The women weren't like that  I've dated a bunch of men all my life and most of them were aggressive and abusive.  The nice guys never wanted to continue dating me.  I always liked musicians and creative types, but they didn't like me.  Why are there so many men in the armed services and not women?  Just wondering.  I'm walking on eggshells with everything I write here, afraid I'll catch hell.   

There is huge variation within both sexes as well as differences between the sexes.  Men can be incredibly passive as well as aggressive and women can be very dominant.  I guess it is all in our hormones.  It is a case of finding people that you can get on with and avoiding those whose company you don't enjoy.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't find too many passive gentle men. 

It's ok Becks! This is and always has been a very interesting and controversial topic! If no one gets pissy, we might even be able to get along and discuss it! Whaddaya think?    :thumbsup:

Personally, I think it's all about genre stereotypes. I've been called 'gay' or 'feminine' several times just because I'm introvert and don't like to compete, and somewhat kinder than the average guy out there. Aggresivity just doesn't belong to me. It's all about personality, education and loads of other factors may influence one's behaviour.

:idiot: I think there are a lot of shades and not just 'boy' or 'girl'.

I feel like the mods want me to leave the forum because of what I write.  I have dementia now and sometimes don't explain myself very well because I can't anymore.  I have terrrible confusion and can't express what I want to say, but I try.  I was just trying to get some serious answers.  I worked in a male-dominated industry and I used to see the men fist fight on the job and put each other down and fight with each other every single day.  My male friends all through the years talked about men on the job all the time and how they never got along and they would always put other men down.  I've been abused by men in every job I've ever had and by some aggressive women.  I used to have a good mind and was good at my jobs and when I would disagree with a man on the job, he would get mad at me.  The women weren't like that  I've dated a bunch of men all my life and most of them were aggressive and abusive.  The nice guys never wanted to continue dating me.  I always liked musicians and creative types, but they didn't like me.  Why are there so many men in the armed services and not women?  Just wondering.  I'm walking on eggshells with everything I write here, afraid I'll catch hell. 

Hello Becksblue,

We're asking no more from you then we ask from all members, that you adhere to forum guidelines.  Challis kindly explained the kinds of posts that are not allowed on the forum in keeping with respect for everyone regardless of sex, race or religion. Perhaps rereading the Forum Guidelines would help you understand what is allowed in terms of posting. I'll give you a link to that document:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=108145.0

Thank you,

pianogirl

Later I am going to try to dig up some articles that might help explain these things in better detail but I wanted to say that confused1 is definitely not confused on this topic as most of this comes down to ensuring that our genes get passed into the next generation.

I have some thoughts on the societal aspect of this as well but I will try to send you a PM about that since I don't want to send this spinning too far off into other territory.

Later I am going to try to dig up some articles that might help explain these things in better detail but I wanted to say that confused1 is definitely not confused on this topic as most of this comes down to ensuring that our genes get passed into the next generation.

I have some thoughts on the societal aspect of this as well but I will try to send you a PM about that since I don't want to send this spinning too far off into other territory.

This might help to explain things ...  ;)

Becks: If I have not been kicked off this forum, then I doubt you will. Boy, if you were here a while ago, you would have read some very strange posts made by people who are not here anymore. (hint hint). I think the mods would just love some peace and quiet here. Lots of nonsense being posted.

Betsy :)

[bd...]