Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

SSDI disability

[Lo...]

Have 20 years of solid work history and great job performance

Applied and got denied the first time

Couldn't find the lawyer who'd take my case and filed appeal on my own

Appeal denied. Now looking for a lawyer again. Anyone knows a lawyer who understands our type of situation?

Most that I call seem to think "take a medication for this, and a medication for that and that" and you can go back...

I can't drive, can barely leave the house, symptoms constant, intense chemical agoraphobia. Barely made it to the doctors appt.

Sorry to hear your case was denied.  I won for an Anxiety Disorder, but didn't know at the time I was in tolerance withdrawal from the drugs, neither did the docs and shrinks.  Wasn't even considered in my case.  Did you pursue that diagnosis?  I'm not sure SSA, docs and judges recognize benzo withdrawal and damage as a legimitate reason to get SSDI?  Do you live in a small town?  I had to go to the big city, capitol of our state, to find a disability atty.  Did you call an atty. that specializes in disability cases only?  I had two docs, a shrink and D.O, give me good documentation about an anxiety disorder and major depression to win my case.  They also both said that meds weren't helping me.  If they say that, then they know there is not much hope of returning to work.  I hope you can find one that can help you?   

Hi LorazepamFree2015,

Just wondering if you have applied more than once. It took me one year of red tape and bs before they approved me and I've heard this is typical.

Becks mentioned an atty. Probably a good idea, might get things moving quicker for you.

Good luck to you!  ~CeCe  :mybuddy:

Please don't be discouraged. My Mom had a major stroke, couldn't use one of her hands, could barely walk, and she got denied for disability the first time. As for your strategy to get disability, I would not lead with the benzo withdrawal diagnosis. I would focus on the symptoms ( intense anxiety, agoraphobia, etc.) and try to persuade a lawyer to take the case on that basis. The benzo withdrawal thing is too controversial and not that well known outside the people who treat it, research it, or suffer from it.  By the way, I would urge you to get a lawyer. They know how to best navigate the process.

Basically can't win without a lawyer or really knowing what you're doing.  I had documents about 1 foot thick to give my atty.  I had to go to a hearing, too.  2 months off the benzo's and I had to go to a hearing and sit in front of a microphone and the entire hearing was videotaped.  It was horrible.  I cried when I sat down and I wasn't nearly as bad off as I am now.  At least I could talk then, but it was very stressful.  It only took me about five months to get my case approved.  I don't know why, but I got my hearing scheduled rather quickly.  They withhold the first six months of money.  Lawyer gets a big chunk of the backpay, but you won't win without a good lawyer. 

That sux, becks:

I got mine the next week after I paid a visit to a state-appointed psych..Been getting a check every month now. So I hope this fed gov programs is not messed with. And I did not need a lawyer and did not bring any documents with me. It was just me and him.

Betsy :)