Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

302 Involuntary Commitment Mental Illness question

[Be...]

I just realized today at the clinic that a doc can involuntarily commit a patient who talks about suicide.  What is this law about?  What happens if you don't cooperate?  Do they take you in handcuffs to the psych ward?  Do they fine you if you don't cooperate?  Why do the cops get involved?  I live in Pennsylvania and am searching for information about this and couldn't find much.     

Here in the UK they can do that if you are deemed to be a threat to yourself or others. It is called being sectioned. Not sure why it's called that....Gx

I went to see an insane Nurse Practitioner yesterday for an office vist who lied and said he was doctor to begin.  My friend who drove me said he scared the crap out of him, too, when he came in the office.  Just because I told that nutjob NP I had thought about suicide but had not acted on it, he told me I couldn't go home and that he was going to call the cops and make sure I got a 302, involuntarily commitment, to the ER for an evaluation.  I told that SOB NP that I couldn't and wouldn't go because I live alone and have a cat to feed and things to take care of here at home.  You can't just rip a person out of their home and commit them!  How insane is this effing world??  The cops didn't think I needed it.  This insane NP was adamant about making sure he got the 302 on me and that I got in the ambulance and they were going to take me to the ER for an evaluation.  I'm beyond traumatized about what this nutcase NP was going to do.  My friend talked to a cop in the donut shop today and the cop said the doc was way out line with what he was doing and that that was an extremely drastic measure. 

You aren't suicidal because you have suicidal thoughts. I know that it must have been very traumatic but if you can, try and just chalk it down to experience.  And don't go there again.

I hope you feel better soon. Gilly x

I filed a complaint last night with the main office clinic about the drastic treatment that that nutso NP inflicted on me.  I'm still completely traumatized about what happened.  That nutjob even said I was psychotic because I told him my head shakes insides.  He's an ex-military guy and acts like he's got to do some serious discipline with someone who opposes his orders since I got so upset and said no! when he told me he wouldn't let me leave the clinic or go home.  It's like he was sending me to the brig or something.  I think he disliked me right off the bat when he came in the examing room because I wouldn't shake his hand.  He scared me as soon as he came in.  I was a complete wreck anyway just being there since I hadn't been out of the house in about a year since my last visit.  He neglected to even notice my serious neurologicals problems, such as, problems speaking, walking, etc.  He was trying to commit a very sick woman to a mental health facility.  The paramedics talked to me and asked me questions to see if I was coherent.  I was so upset there that I pulled the skin off my upper lip and picked at the skin on my fingers and I bled all over the place.  If they commit me involuntarily, who pays the effing bill?  Aren't they required to since they are forcing me by law to go to the ER?  I don't even have health insurance to pay for an ER visit and I told that bastard that.  Plus, I told that tyrant that I live alone and have a cat that needs fed and responsibilities.  He didn't even bother asking about that stuff.  All he said was after a moment of silence was, "I can't let you leave here.  I can't do it."  I totally freaked out.  I didn't even know anything about 302 involuntary commitment.  If a person wants to take their own life, it's none of the government's business!  They need to get the hell out of our lives and stop over-reaching.  We live in a near communist country.  The gestapo cops finally let me go home when they realized the situation was created by the maniac insane NP. 

I filed a complaint last night with the main office clinic about the drastic treatment that that nutso NP inflicted on me.  I'm still completely traumatized about what happened.  That nutjob even said I was psychotic because I told him my head shakes insides.  He's an ex-military guy and acts like he's got to do some serious discipline with someone who opposes his orders since I got so upset and said no! when he told me he wouldn't let me leave the clinic or go home.  It's like he was sending me to the brig or something.  I think he disliked me right off the bat when he came in the examing room because I wouldn't shake his hand.  He scared me as soon as he came in.  I was a complete wreck anyway just being there since I hadn't been out of the house in about a year since my last visit.  He neglected to even notice my serious neurologicals problems, such as, problems speaking, walking, etc.  He was trying to commit a very sick woman to a mental health facility.  The paramedics talked to me and asked me questions to see if I was coherent.  I was so upset there that I pulled the skin off my upper lip and picked at the skin on my fingers and I bled all over the place.  If they commit me involuntarily, who pays the effing bill?  Aren't they required to since they are forcing me by law to go to the ER?  I don't even have health insurance to pay for an ER visit and I told that bastard that.  Plus, I told that tyrant that I live alone and have a cat that needs fed and responsibilities.  He didn't even bother asking about that stuff.  All he said was after a moment of silence was, "I can't let you leave here.  I can't do it."  I totally freaked out.  I didn't even know anything about 302 involuntary commitment.  If a person wants to take their own life, it's none of the government's business!  They need to get the hell out of our lives and stop over-reaching.  We live in a near communist country.  The gestapo cops finally let me go home when they realized the situation was created by the maniac insane NP.

So sorry about this, Becks,

Are you feeling any better? These people suck. Don't they know what kind of stress they put on ppl? It is a mental health facility. They should have the education, not to mention compassion to HELP ppl, not HINDER them...this is so aggravating. I have my own stories to tell about ppl in this field, and they resemble this same behavior!  Hope you are better    :hug:

I had to reply to the email I sent the main clinic about that SOB who tried to 302 me.  They're investigating the situation now.  This is too much stress on me.  I'm too sick to have to get a new doc now, etc.  This guy should be fired!  He's incompetent to try to 302 a sick woman with dementia. 

I had to reply to the email I sent the main clinic about that SOB who tried to 302 me.  They're investigating the situation now.  This is too much stress on me.  I'm too sick to have to get a new doc now, etc.  This guy should be fired!  He's incompetent to try to 302 a sick woman with dementia. 

I know the laws in my state now about the 302.  It's a big fucking joke that they can do this to a person who wants to commit suicide.  This country is effed up.

I know the laws in my state now about the 302.  It's a big fucking joke that they can do this to a person who wants to commit suicide.  This country is effed up.

becks:

So you looked up your state? What did it say? Our state is very strict about doing the 302/5150 deal. You have to run around naked and screaming in the middle of the night, or go about town waving a gun. But if your psych really believes you will harm yourself, he has the right to do this. Thank God I am not crazy...............yet. Yes, this country is screwing up in too many ways to count.

Betsy :)

This guy wasn't even a psych.  He was a general NP and I only went to him for my thyroid checkup and for a consult about my SSDI anxiety disorder diagnosis for the record.  I guess him trying to 302 me will help with my SSDI evaluation.  He was a complete whacko.  My friend who drove me said the same thing.  It was complete chaos in the clinic when he did that to me.  You need ongoing treatment to keep collecting SSDI, so I get an evaluation from a doc every year.  I haven't been to a doc in over a year because I'm too sick. 

I just realized today at the clinic that a doc can involuntarily commit a patient who talks about suicide.  What is this law about?  What happens if you don't cooperate?  Do they take you in handcuffs to the psych ward?  Do they fine you if you don't cooperate?  Why do the cops get involved?  I live in Pennsylvania and am searching for information about this and couldn't find much.   

These laws are to protect OTHER people.  Fact is many times suicidal people do take others with them when they go.  They would rather put you in a rubber room and let the glutamate fry all your brain cells while you C/T'd.  I never talk to my doc or cops about that topic!  Big shit storm will follow.

What's so sick about this 302 is that I have a physical disability, i.e., neurological brain damage, and the health care system keeps treating me like I have a mental illness only.  A person who can hardly talk, walk, eat, and has dementia is not mentally ill.  I'm like a person who has terminal cancer and who is in intense discomfort and just wants to get the hell out of her damaged body.  Everyone keeps thinking it's all just mental for me except my friend who says it's a motor problem.  I stand on my two legs and shake inside nonstop.  My head inside shakes all the time.  Stupid NP who tried to commit me said I was psychotic because I told him my head shakes inside all the time and didn't even assess my neurological issues.  You don't 302 a person who is physically ill.  Stupid idiot.  My sister even thought it was ok what he did to me until I explained things better to her.  I have a serious PHYSICAL disability and it includes mental symptoms from the brain damage.  Stupid health care system.

I don't have to get any evaluations anymore. But I do see my psych once a month. I'm on it until the day I die.........I can understand why Birdman said what he did, no matter how terrible it is for you. Try and let it go and see someone else when it is time. And report that NP.....................

Betsy

You might want to look up the Murphy bill that is pending before the senate. 

There's lots about it on the Mad in America site.

Yup, they can drag you away, medicate you and keep you indefinitely, and if you fight them they will say you have 'agnosia' (this possibly is misspelled) and don't recognize that you are severely mentally ill and need 'treatment' with drugs or ECT.  AGAINST your WILL.  If you have good insurance, why, it's a gravy train for them.  They can keep you for as long as they like depending on their professional 'opinion'…no lab tests or physical parameters or anything.

And if you have family members who find you to be troublesome, well, all they have todo is pick up the phone and say you're acting strange.

Don't get me started on what that can mean as a tool for social control.  Remember what they taught you about how terrible the Soviet Union was back in grade school?

You have more rights if you are arrested for a crime.

I did file a complaint against the NP with the clinic's main office and get assigned to a read doc MD.  They all stick together though in those practices, so I'm not holding out any hope she'd be any better, but she's an MD.  I won't go back for quite awhile until I run out of thyroid meds.  I have forgotten about it for the most part, but like to discuss the issue on this thread, how our wicked government can make laws to just rip someone out of their home and lock them away in a hospital somewhere.  I live alone and have a cat to feed, bills to pay, and stuff to take care of.  No wonder I tore my lip up so badly and was bleeding all over the place while in that NP's office when he told me I couldn't go home two Friday's ago.  I kept saying to my friend that day, "Oh, no!  Oh, no!  You can't do this!  I live alone and I have a cat to feed!"  I was panicked so badly.  I kept telling anyone who would listen that I have at home who needs fed and no one else to feed her. 

I did file a complaint against the NP with the clinic's main office and get assigned to a read doc MD.  They all stick together though in those practices, so I'm not holding out any hope she'd be any better, but she's an MD.  I won't go back for quite awhile until I run out of thyroid meds.  I have forgotten about it for the most part, but like to discuss the issue on this thread, how our wicked government can make laws to just rip someone out of their home and lock them away in a hospital somewhere.  I live alone and have a cat to feed, bills to pay, and stuff to take care of.  No wonder I tore my lip up so badly and was bleeding all over the place while in that NP's office when he told me I couldn't go home two Friday's ago.  I kept saying to my friend that day, "Oh, no!  Oh, no!  You can't do this!  I live alone and I have a cat to feed!"  I was panicked so badly.  I kept telling anyone who would listen that I have at home who needs fed and no one else to feed her.

To me, this sounds like mental anguish. Isn't there a law against that? If there isn't there should be!  :tickedoff: