Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Orlando Massacre

[ra...]

Dear All,

Before I posted on this, I looked down to see if anyone else did.  I did not see anything so I started this thread.  If I missed it, someone please point me there, and I will continue on that persons thread.

I live in NYC, arguably the most liberal place on the planet.  The day after the massacre, our news papers all blamed the NRA.  I was blown away by this, pun intended.

Really?  A radical Muslim terrorist perpetrates a hate crime against gays, and we are going to blame an organization whose sole purpose is to protect the right of LAW ABIDING US citizens to own and carry guns?!?!?

Shortly thereafter, Bill O'Reilly was on late night with Stephan Colbert, and I think he said it best.  I am paraphrasing, but he basically said, we must accept the fact that there is no law we can pass that can stop this type of crime.  Whether you are liberal and want to pass anti-gun laws or right wing and want to pass anti-immigration laws, please just stop.  People are going to hate, and people are going to kill in the name of whatever and with whatever and there are no laws that can stop this.

I love this idea.  Accept it and move on.

The BB forum has about 1000 active members so it is not a bad place to take a survey.  I would like to know:

If any of you think that there is any law that could possibly help prevent this type of crime? 

If you do, what would it be?  And,

If there are any of you who are like me, and are just willing to swallow the pill, accept this as a part of society and move on, believing that the best course of action is nothing.

I will give you one fact.  In the US about 2.5 million people die every year from all causes.  If you add up heart disease, cancers of all kinds, and accidents of all kinds except guns, you get almost 2 million.  If you add up all gun deaths except suicide, in a BAD year, you get 11,000.  That includes police shootings, people defending their homes, hunting accidents, terrorism, crime, all of it.  Let's be VERY conservative and say that 75% of those gun deaths were "bad" deaths, such as crime, terrorism, and accidents.  That means that gun "violence" is responsible of 3 out of every 1000 deaths in the US.

Now what do you think we should do?

Ramcon1

No law regarding guns will stop these massacres.  The people hell bent to do these things will get the guns one way or another.

Should we sit back, take it and do nothing....NO!  I don't have the answers as to what we should do but applying more laws is not the answer!

Donna,

Ok.  But now think.  Is there really ANYTHING we can do?  Ordinarily, I would say just keep the guns in the hands of plenty of honest people and we will take out the baddies, but there is a REALLY good argument that you want people to check their guns at the entrance to a BAR!

I am TOTALLY looking for ideas, but like you, I cannot think of one thing that would really help, except taking the zen approach that I might die this way, but I do not care because it is so unlikely.

Ramcon1

Sorry Ramcon, but I'll have to lock this thread.  That's because these kinds of topics always lead to disputes and conflicts.  Colin posted this earlier this month:

All things considered, I think it best that we close down this thread and forbid similar discussion going forward (for at least the duration of the present US presidential campaign).

The BB Mission Statement:

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

Although I am loath to disallow specific topics for discussion, I think these type of subjects (especially in the present climate) are (at best) a distraction from the BB Mission, and are (probably more likely) a hindrance for many members.

So, please avoid comment on the US presidential campaign, Obama, Trump, yesterday's tragic events in Florida, guns, gun control, terrorism, religion, and any other incendiary topics.

We will review the situation after completion of the US election.

bold=my emphasis

[0b...]