Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Yummy Easy Recipes for Good Eating in WD

[so...]

I'll start with one passed along to me from Pattylu that's healthy and delicious, even in the throes of WD:

FILLET OF SOLE GRUYERE

This is so good and different!  The whole dish can be put together ahead of time (a few hours), then popped in the hot oven to cook.  It is surprisingly light, and the cheese gives just the right flavor.

3 tablespoons butter                                         

Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

1 medium sweet onion, sliced             

1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced

1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

4 fillets of sole

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Melt butter in a heavy skillet and lightly saute onion and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.  Butter a shallow baking dish and cover the bottom of the dish with half of the onion mushroom mixture.  Sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Fold each fillet in half (end to end) and arrange over the onion mixture, slightly overlapping sides of fillets to each other.  Top fillets with remaining onion and mushrooms, then top with remaining cheese.  Season with salt, pepper as desired.  Bake for 20 minutes, then brown quickly (for seconds) under broiler until the cheese bubbles.

Serve with rice, fresh vegetables.

It is easy & delicious!! 

Anybody else got some good easy recipes we can cook even with muddled brains?

Sofa

Goopy Cheesy Bread

Take 2-3 slices of Dave's Organic white bread and lay them in a shallow flat rectangle baking pan.

Cut slices of Jack cheese and put on top of bread.

Put under broiler for 5 minutes or until lightly bubbling and slightly starting to brown a little on top.

Variation:  Add fresh tomato slices and other pizza toppings like fresh veggies/chicken/ground meat.

Steer clear of nitrates and preservatives in the toppings. 

Sofa

I made this today. It's really creamy

Rice Pudding

3\4 cup Arborio rice

2 cups of milk

1\3 cup sugar

1\4 ts salt

1 egg, beaten

1 ta butter

1 ts vanilla

Bring 1 and 1\2 cups of water to a boil

Add rice and simmer covered on low for 20 mins

Add milk, sugar and stir well. Add salt and beaten egg. Cook and stir for 20 mins

Add butter and vanilla

Top w Cinnamon :)

White Fish with a Pine Nut Crust

Yield: Serves 4-5

4 white fish filets, about 6 ounces each

6 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped (I grind them in a small grinder or mortar and pestle)

4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated

2 large garlic cloves, minced

4 tablespoons fresh basil

1 tablespoon olive oil

lemon wedges, for serving

Let the fish fillets warm on the counter for at least half an hour prior to cooking them. You want them to be almost room temperature before placing them in the oven, this will help them cook through before the topping is too brown.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the fish in a large shallow baking pan. Mix together the pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, pesto and olive oil. Divide this mixture in half and then use a rubber scraper to spread the crust mixture over the top surface of each fillet. Pile it on so that all of the topping is used.

NOTE: Halibut, tilapia, cod, grouper, or any other mild white fish will work well with this recipe. Watch your cooking times closely! Depending on the thickness of the fish, the cooking time will vary from 10-20 minutes.  So good and so easy!

I'll start with one passed along to me from Pattylu that's healthy and delicious, even in the throes of WD:

FILLET OF SOLE GRUYERE

This is so good and different!  The whole dish can be put together ahead of time (a few hours), then popped in the hot oven to cook.  It is surprisingly light, and the cheese gives just the right flavor.

3 tablespoons butter                                         

Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

1 medium sweet onion, sliced             

1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced

1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

4 fillets of sole

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Melt butter in a heavy skillet and lightly saute onion and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.  Butter a shallow baking dish and cover the bottom of the dish with half of the onion mushroom mixture.  Sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Fold each fillet in half (end to end) and arrange over the onion mixture, slightly overlapping sides of fillets to each other.  Top fillets with remaining onion and mushrooms, then top with remaining cheese.  Season with salt, pepper as desired.  Bake for 20 minutes, then brown quickly (for seconds) under broiler until the cheese bubbles.

Serve with rice, fresh vegetables.

It is easy & delicious!! 

Anybody else got some good easy recipes we can cook even with muddled brains?

Sofa

Why fold the fillets in half? And are the mushrooms fresh or can they be canned?

THese all sound so good I am going to follow this thread...thanks guys!..  I like rice pasta drizzled with olive oil, and add some vegs. pretty easy and adapts to all diferent kind of tastes....

For those of you that like fish!

My favourite lunch is an avocado, halved and pitted.  1/2 a can of sockeye salmon mixed with 1 tablespoon of mango chutney.  Mix salmon and chutney, spoon into avocado.  Sprinkle with good coarse sea salt (like a finishing sea salt, I use Maldon) and fresh black pepper.

Healthy, easy and you get good fats, protein and healthy carbs.

I eat this at least 3 times a week.

:smitten:

Ali

And these are our favourite cookies.  My husband can't have added oils so these cookies are gluten free, oil free (uses applesauce instead) and yum!

http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/wholesome-oat-snackles/

I add a 1/3 of a package of dark chocolate chips to mine.  I add the lemon zest too (it is optional).  These are so easy to make.  I keep my grated coconut in the freezer with my chocolate chips.

So amazingly good!

White Fish with a Pine Nut Crust

Yield: Serves 4-5

4 white fish filets, about 6 ounces each

6 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped (I grind them in a small grinder or mortar and pestle)

4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated

2 large garlic cloves, minced

4 tablespoons fresh basil

1 tablespoon olive oil

lemon wedges, for serving

Let the fish fillets warm on the counter for at least half an hour prior to cooking them. You want them to be almost room temperature before placing them in the oven, this will help them cook through before the topping is too brown.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the fish in a large shallow baking pan. Mix together the pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, pesto and olive oil. Divide this mixture in half and then use a rubber scraper to spread the crust mixture over the top surface of each fillet. Pile it on so that all of the topping is used.

NOTE: Halibut, tilapia, cod, grouper, or any other mild white fish will work well with this recipe. Watch your cooking times closely! Depending on the thickness of the fish, the cooking time will vary from 10-20 minutes.  So good and so easy!

Want to try this one also.  We love fish.  :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention:  Recommended fish for Gruyere Fillet of Sole dish is polenta due to its buttery flavor and moistness. 

As far as why folding them in half, end to end, and overlapping them, I would think it's to keep them moist in the baking process.  I don't know why it works for sure.

Sofa

ALI AND RECIPE FRIENDS,

HUGE HUGS AND THANKS!!!!  Boy was I in a rut!  I'm cooking now!

Sofa

And these are our favourite cookies.  My husband can't have added oils so these cookies are gluten free, oil free (uses applesauce instead) and yum!

http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/wholesome-oat-snackles/

I add a 1/3 of a package of dark chocolate chips to mine.  I add the lemon zest too (it is optional).  These are so easy to make.  I keep my grated coconut in the freezer with my chocolate chips.

So amazingly good!

Looked at the recipe, YUM!!!  How much coconut do you add?  I did not see that on the recipe.  I have every ingredient in the house, yes, hemp seeds are always in my pantry!

It says 1/4 coconut, that is what I add.  I've never used hemp seeds instead of coconut as I LOVE coconut and hemp seeds aren't nearly so yummy!

This is THE BEST recipe and really easy to make.  You just form the balls (wet dough by the way, not like normal cookie dough) and then use a fork to squish them into cookie shape.  Yum, yum.  When I make them, I make 1 batch without choc chips for my husband and 1 batch for the barn with dark choc chips (the really good kind, I splurge!) for the girls at the barn.  They are in heaven when they appear.  Brings me very good karma!

Yum, yum, yum.  I don't make them gluten free (but you could), I just use a good whole wheat flour instead (I use Nunweilers).

I have to post a few more really great recipes.  I have one for linguine a la vongole (with clams) that is so easy and SO good but sadly I don't make it any more because my husband doesn't have olive oil (or any oils) or seafood other than salmon but boy is it great.  I also have a to die for salmon linguine recipe that is also very simple.  Will do this on the weekend.

:smitten:

Ali

Thanks you guys! Thank you sofa for this thread. Incapacitated at this time but if I get a window I'm gonna try something asap.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken              425°

½  cup Mayonnaise

¼  cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 boneless chicken breasts cut in halves

4 tsp. Panko bread crumbs

¾ tsp. Italian Seasoning

Preheat oven to 425°

Combine Mayonnaise with cheese in medium bowl. Arrange chicken on baking sheet. Evenly top with Mayonnaise mixture, and then sprinkle with bread crumbs mixed with Italian Seasoning.

Bake until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes.

Timesaving Tip:  Try making this dish with thin-cut boneless skinless chicken breasts! Prepare as above, decreasing bake time to 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.