Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Did you know...?

[al...]

Maybe it's been done already, but how about an interesting fact thread. We all know strange little tidbits that may be of interest to others. This will be a good chance to share and learn new things. The only rule is that it must be true so when it doubt, google first.

I'll start.

Did you know that lots of that beautiful white sand on a tropical beach was pooped out of the butts of parrot fish? Parrot fish have sharp beaks that they use to chew up coral. They digest the living polyps and poop out the stony residue. Some species of parrot fish can create up to 200 lbs. of sand per year/ per fish.

Star fish (Sea Star)

Did you know that.....

A sea star's mouth is on its underside. They prey on bivalves like mussels and clams, as well as small fish, snails, and barnacles. If you've ever tried to pry the shell of a clam or mussel open, you know how difficult it is. Sea stars wrap their arms around the animal's shell and pull it open just enough. And then it does something we could never imagine - it pushes its stomach through its mouth and into the bivalve's shell. It then digests the animal and slides its stomach back into its own body. This unique feeding mechanism allows the sea star to eat larger prey than it would otherwise be able to fit into its tiny mouth.

love that topic...

the fact I love most in life you probably already know:

Did you know ..

that a bumblebee is not able to fly if you look on theoretical physics,- a helicopter or plane build like a bumblebee would never be able to fly.

But the bumblebee thought "who cares" and flew away.

Loving bumblebees :smitten:

A large percentage of East Asians are lacking the gene that cause under arm body odor.  :D

My wife is Korean and never has to wear deodorant.

A large percentage of East Asians are lacking the gene that cause under arm body odor.  :D

That explains why I am often the only smelly one in a crowd here in Hawaii!

Did you know that Rats were accidently introduced to Hawaii and they found it to be a good home. There were so many of them that it was decided to import Mongoose from Asia to thin their numbers. The problem is that rats hunt by night and mongoose by day. Now we have rats AND mongoose all over the place.

Did you know that Rats were accidently introduced to Hawaii and they found it to be a good home. There were so many of them that it was decided to import Mongoose from Asia to thin their numbers. The problem is that rats hunt by night and mongoose by day. Now we have rats AND mongoose all over the place.

Get eating then!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Apparently Rat taste like Chicken ;D

JAMES DOOHAN never heard the order to “Beam me up, Scotty.” In the original Star Trek television series (1967-69), Doohan played Montgomery “Scotty” Scott, chief engineer on the starship Enterprise. Among his duties was the operation of the ship’s transporters, which “beamed” crew members down to local planets and back again. For decades after the series ended, Doohan was greeted by fans shouting “Beam me up, Scotty!” But that exact line was never stated on the series.

Rats have a purpose.

Rats have a keen sense of smell and are easy to train. These characteristics have been employed, for example, by the Belgian non-governmental organization APOPO, which trains rats (specifically African giant pouched rats) to detect landmines and diagnose tuberculosis through smell.

I wish I had that lack too...and my environment would love that, too... :smitten:

I wish I had that lack too...and my environment would love that, too... :smitten:

So would my family. :laugh:

So would my family. :laugh:

Today I really searched for an onion in my kitchen until I noticed that it was me.. one hour after I had a shower.. :crazy:

Here is another did you know...?

Have you ever wondered why Brazilians speak Portuguese and the rest of Latin America speaks Spanish? It goes back to the 1400's when both Portugal and Spain were naval powers trying to carve out colonies for themselves all over the world. To head off the inevitable clash, in 1493 the two Catholic nations went to the Pope and asked that he divide the world between them. The Pope took a map of the known world and drew a line from the north to the south poles and declared everything to the west as belonging to Spain and everything to the east for Portugal. Both nations agreed so everything was good.

As the true shape of South America became known, it was discovered that what is now Brazil jutted out into the Atlantic far enough to cross the imaginary line. Since this area was east of the line, the territory fell under the control of Portugal.

Today I really searched for an onion in my kitchen until I noticed that it was me.. one hour after I had a shower.. :crazy:

Maybe you should change your pretty online name. :laugh:

Maybe you should change your pretty online name. :laugh:

I will never change my name. Nope. ;D

Did you know that the outside air temperature can dip all the way down to 12 degrees F in Hawaii? The summit of the volcano Mauna Kea on the big island is almost 14,000' above sea level so it can get pretty cold at times. Scientists manning the many telescopes on the summit can get snowed in during storms. People ski up there, but they have to deal with low oxygen levels and snow abruptly giving way to exposed sharp lava rock.

Did you know that the outside air temperature can dip all the way down to 12 degrees F in Hawaii? The summit of the volcano Mauna Kea on the big island is almost 14,000' above sea level so it can get pretty cold at times. Scientists manning the many telescopes on the summit can get snowed in during storms. People ski up there, but they have to deal with low oxygen levels and snow abruptly giving way to exposed sharp lava rock.

OUCH and then you freeze.    :tickedoff:

No, I did not know that. I thought it was always hot. Does this happen all year round?

Of course winter is when it gets coldest, but I heard that there was overnight snow a couple weeks ago. I have only been up there during the warmer months, but the high altitude and wind still makes if feel below freezing during the day. Maui has a volcanic mountain (Haleakala) that is over 10,000' and it gets pretty cold up there as well. I have taken in-laws from Chicago to that summit and they refused to believe that they could possibly get colder than they could handle. Boy were they wrong.

I have to wonder why it gets so cold. I thought a Volcano is really hot? ??? Remind me not to go there at Xmas~~~~~~~not like I can afford it. :laugh:

I have to wonder why it gets so cold. I thought a Volcano is really hot? ??? Remind me not to go there at Xmas~~~~~~~not like I can afford it. :laugh:

Did you know....

its an impossibility for Bets AKA Benzo girl to actually be my next door neighbour as she lives in USA and I live in UK? Weird or what? ;) L. O Bet ;D

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Mauna Kea hasn't erupted for a long time. It is basically just a tall mountain now. Here is a link to some webcams that are outside the telescopes up on the mountain. In the winter the images are often blocked by ice: http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/cams/index.cgi?mode=multi

Another factoid: Mauna Kea, when measured from the sea floor, is the highest mountain in the world at 33,000'. Its neighbor, Mauna Loa, is only 110' shorter.