Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can I take a diazepam to fly?

[Ca...]

I am going on holiday in a few hours and have a 4 hour flight.  I have never got on a plane without diazepam before as I am scared of flying (also scared as on going on holiday).  Can someone tell me what will happen if I take a diazepam just for the flight?  I took last tablet 10 weeks ago and have anxiety gradually improving.  Thanks Cass

I know you want to take just one to calm you down for the flight but I would recommend you not take. Since you are going on vacation it could put you back into acute withdrawal which would suck. You said your anxiety is getting better so you should be able to handle it for four hours. I think you would make your trip better by not having any reason to take it.

You may feel like I'm overacting so we will see what others have to say about it. I have been off for 7 months and I would not take it for any reason.

Diazepam withdrawal causes severe anxiety, I know it...What you are asking is difficult to answer as taking now Diazepam before flying may be good for you for the time of flying but then again there is the condition of withdrawal.  I don't know how often you fly but if you must take this drug whenever you fly , your path on the recovery may be interrupted . But I do know what it means, feeling anxiety from flying, so if this fear is huge, then you should take in Diazepam... But if you can avoid this travelling, that would be the best......

I am going on holiday in a few hours and have a 4 hour flight.  I have never got on a plane without diazepam before as I am scared of flying (also scared as on going on holiday).  Can someone tell me what will happen if I take a diazepam just for the flight?  I took last tablet 10 weeks ago and have anxiety gradually improving.  Thanks Cass

Don't do it!!!!  :D It will send you reeling backwards and you may end up worse than your were before for a lot longer as well.

I have never got on a plane without diazepam before as I am scared of flying (also scared as on going on holiday). 

8 weeks is seriously 'early days' since your last Benzo , if what you said above is making you feel you need to take one then I would put myself and my recovering brain before everyone and everything else and do what makes me feel safe not stressed, and if that's fore go a holiday which I can take anytime I would.

You can always book another holiday you can't re-book another brain , we got to look after the only one we have, if you can bite your lip take no Benzo go on holiday you may find you actually have a good time. BUT if your going to carry a ''just in case'' pill with you then don't do the holiday this is your life and your still healing, don't do anything that may put you back indefinitely like taking Benzos.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I went on diazapam for a week long vacation, after I got off of it, my symptoms were a bit worse for a while but then I went back to my post-withdrawal baseline.

My opinion is different than most others on here, I think taking it once won't result in too much complication. Personally I just believe taking it once just presses pause on your recovery time temporarily.

Hi Cassie, I would say no, do not take one dose, yes I know flying can be stressful, but life is like that, good times and stressful times. Use some mediation tapes before you go and practice some deep breathing, and pull up that strength that you have and use it to calm yourself, you know that life is full of stresses, it is best not to go back on benzo's for any reason, you are new in your taper, and besides you can never know for sure how this may affect you. It would be my fear, well let me take one for flying and then later, oh the car isn't working or the roof is leaking and let me take one pill, try to learn how to cope without these brain sucking  >:D pills, you are stronger than you think. Have a good trip, find a Mantra that you can say to yourself over and over that is calming. Best to you. :)

cassie I wouldn't do it. One pill sent me back into acute for two months. Plus if it does backfire it could ruin your vacation.

I've noticed that the time leading up to a stressful event is usually worse then the actual event. I had a dental appointment, and I was so nervous, but once I got in the chair and they started working on me the anxiety went away.

Cassie why don't you take a benadryl - it will put you to sleep - and if one doesn't work you can always take another.  It will calm you down as well.  I have to take them because I am allergic to the nuts they serve on planes and before this I always had to use a benzo to fly -with the benadryl (I take 2 -15 minutes before we board) I end up going to sleep and I am just tired on the day that we fly.

Good luck and have a great trip - you can do this.

With 10 weeks under your belt i personally would NOT take a dose for a flight. I would find another way to deal with the 240 minutes of your flight. Maybe watch a movie, or bring some crossword puzzles or such. I assume that you will have more flight ahead of you through the years. I think now is the time to figure out an option other than Diazapam to deal with your anxiety.

I really don't think a person is truly committed to healing until they ditch there benzo's, and I'm not blaming them, its scary not having them going through this, but its just to easy to take one every now and then, and it will prevent healing in the long run.

I would rather feel the anxiety of flying rather than ever taking another one of those devil pills. People fly every day, you'll be fine. Facing the fears is part of healing too. Good luck!

I would rather drink a glas of red whine in the plane than taking a diazepam again. Really.

I think this could be again a "first time without a pill".

You can survive that. But 10 weeks off and then a diazepam.. no that risk is much higher than the fear of flying..

I have to agree with the majority on here. I would not take another benzo for something like flying-related anxiety . . . or for anything else for that matter. But you are probably in the air now.  I wonder what you decided to do?

Okatz

I didn't take one!!!! I can now bin them as I was waiting (subconsciously) for this holiday to feel confident to let go of them.  I've had a great time.  Anxiety every day but not all day and have found some control over it.  Thanks for all your support.

Flying back home day after tomorrow and don't need diazepam.  :smitten:

I didn't take one!!!! I can now bin them as I was waiting (subconsciously) for this holiday to feel confident to let go of them.  I've had a great time.  Anxiety every day but not all day and have found some control over it.  Thanks for all your support.

Cassie such great news. So glad you are having a great time and didn't need to take anything at all.  Way to go. :yippee:

You are my hero! Very good!!! :thumbs:

:smitten:

Thanks so much everyone.

Flight back in 4 hours.  Am quite anxious but determined.  Have palpitations and hyperventilating and terrible burps! Invention of teleportation would be good now  :laugh:

I got here though so darn sure I can get home.

Cass xx

Everyday I read at least one success story in the morning, today it was your post that will keep me going  :) Well-done  :thumbsup:

Thanks so much everyone.

Flight back in 4 hours.  Am quite anxious but determined.  Have palpitations and hyperventilating and terrible burps! Invention of teleportation would be good now  :laugh:

I got here though so darn sure I can get home.

Cass xx

Yay!!!  :clap: You got this Cassie you'll be fine  ;) Hope the holiday was good.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: