Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alzheimer's questions?

[Be...]

I'm curious about how people die from Alzheimer's?  Does it affect your heart and lungs?  Is the person unable to move after awhile or eat?  Do they lose alot of weight?  What happens in the body that the person dies?  Please paste info. in the post since I can't click on links too well since I'm on dialup.  Thanks. 

I have dementia now from these pills and getting off them.  My family doc said last year, I won't be able to live on my own much longer.  I don't have anywhere to go and no one to take care of me.  I'm in very big trouble.  These drugs have destroyed my brain and now it doesn't work right anymore.

I have dementia now from these pills and getting off them.  My family doc said last year, I won't be able to live on my own much longer.  I don't have anywhere to go and no one to take care of me.  I'm in very big trouble.  These drugs have destroyed my brain and now it doesn't work right anymore.

Becks,

My brain doesn't work right either, and I bet most on here have or have had the very same problems. I am very forgetful, I often can't find the right words when trying to talk. I have to think about what it is I'm fixing to do, or why I came into a room....I could go on and on.  My thinking has definitely  been impaired.

I don't understand why your doctor would tell you something like this. Being diagnosed with Alzheimer's/Dementia requires some extensive testing.

Was an MRI run? Were you given a slums cognitive test? Were labs run?  These actually help to diagnose the disease process.  You can't just be told you have something like this just because you were on a benzo.  What led him to give you such a diagnosis?  And, have you considered getting a second opinion?

Yes, these drugs can cause damage to our brains; however, there are things that can be done to help them heal! 

Are you using any of the Omega 3's, Coconut Oil, Flax Oil,  any type of multi vitamin, vitamin c (whole food), change your diet, ect? ALL of this is very important to feed your brain, and help promote healing; as well as time, which is a big healer in itself.

I see that you have been off all benzos and z drugs since 2012. That is wonderful!!!

I'm trying to understand...are  you saying your SX's have gotten worse instead of better since becoming benzo and z drug free?

Hang in there...

Fluter ~

Yes, my symptoms have become much worse as time has gone on.  I don't understand it?  I can't drive or go to the store and shop anymore.  I've been housebound for 3 years now and have many problems and responsibilities here.  I may have other stuff going on.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, Lupus, Thrombophilia, chronic Lyme?, and may have had a stroke from the acute withdrawal stress.  My doc didn't diagnose me with dementia.  He took a look at me in his office and could see how bad off I was.  My friend told him last year that I used to be smart and on top of things and now am barely functional.  He's a geriatric doc, too.  He's brilliant.  These drugs can cause Alzheimer's dementia in certain susceptible individuals, IMO.  People want to deny it, but enough studies have been done that found an association between dementia and benzo use.  Certain susceptible individuals could get dementia from these pills, IMO.  My father had mental decline in his fifties and it runs in my family.  I don't take supplements or vitamins because I can't afford them or go out and shop for them.  I'm broke now on SSDI.   

Yes, my symptoms have become much worse as time has gone on.  I don't understand it?  I can't drive or go to the store and shop anymore.  I've been housebound for 3 years now and have many problems and responsibilities here.  I may have other stuff going on.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, Lupus, Thrombophilia, chronic Lyme?, and may have had a stroke from the acute withdrawal stress.  My doc didn't diagnose me with dementia.  He took a look at me in his office and could see how bad off I was.  My friend told him last year that I used to be smart and on top of things and now am barely functional.  He's a geriatric doc, too.  He's brilliant.  These drugs can cause Alzheimer's dementia in certain susceptible individuals, IMO.  People want to deny it, but enough studies have been done that found an association between dementia and benzo use.  Certain susceptible individuals could get dementia from these pills, IMO.  My father had mental decline in his fifties and it runs in my family.  I don't take supplements or vitamins because I can't afford them or go out and shop for them.  I'm broke now on SSDI. 

Becks,

I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I can only imagine your frustration!

Goodness, hypothyroidism, lupus, & Lyme disease can all cause memory issues as well, and to have all 3. That has to be so unbelievably frustrating. I have no doubt you are a wealth of emotions!

I'm happy to hear that you are with a good doctor. This is so important, and can bring HOPE your way.

My wish for you is that your doc will be able to help you!!!!!!!!!

From Me to You...sending some virtual comfort your way.

Peace to you Becks,

Fltuer  :smitten:

Becks, this may help.

http://www.alz.org/research/science/alzheimers_disease_treatments.asp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15234100

From all my study benzo w/d can mimic Alzheimer's and 19 other disease's but it's not really damage and not the same chain of events going on.

I do find it odd that the newer generation of Alzheimer's drugs seem to have 'glutamate suppression' in their agenda and it's the excess glutamate that makes us feel so bad. 

I did experiment with Memantine at it's max dose level 30 mg for 2 weeks and many of my benzo S/X faded just not all of them.

My personal opinion is that if one is prone to Alzheimer's the benzo's have nothing to do with it.

Note:  Robin Williams had Lewy Body Dementia which causes similar tissue tangles and clogs up the brain.  Poor guy knew something was wrong but did not know what the heck was going on in his head.  Like many of us we just think we are going crazy or have brain damage which is just not the case.

B/Z withdrawal can mimic about 20 diseases so it can be a roller coaster ride at times.  I am sure you will heal with enough time.

http://www.alz.org/dementia/dementia-with-lewy-bodies-symptoms.asp

Hugs Birdy  :smitten:

Becks, this may help.

From all my study benzo w/d can mimic Alzheimer's and 19 other disease's but it's not really damage and not the same chain of events going on.

I do find it odd that the newer generation of Alzheimer's drugs seem to have 'glutamate suppression' in their agenda and it's the excess glutamate that makes us feel so bad. 

I did experiment with Memantine at it's max dose level 30 mg for 2 weeks and many of my benzo S/X faded just not all of them.

My personal opinion is that if one is prone to Alzheimer's the benzo's have nothing to do with it.

Note:  Robin Williams had Lewy Body Dementia which causes similar tissue tangles and clogs up the brain.  Poor guy knew something was wrong but did not know what the heck was going on in his head.  Like many of us we just think we are going crazy or have brain damage which is just not the case.

B/Z withdrawal can mimic about 20 diseases so it can be a roller coaster ride at times.  I am sure you will heal with enough time.

Birdy,

I'm so glad you've posted this for Becks.

Very useful info for all of us.

Thank you for the effort and time you have put into this research.

Fluter  :)

Becks, this may help.

Birdy,

I'm so glad you've posted this for Becks.

Very useful info for all of us.

Thank you for the effort and time you have put into this research.

Fluter  :)

Your welcome FB :) 

Hope your healing well.

Birdy  :smitten:

Thanks for the info.  I'm on dialup and can't get on other websites or youtube.  I disagree that benzo's can't cause dementia.  There are too many research studies out there seeing a link association between dementia and benzo use.  I have dementia and it's caused by the pills.  I'm getting worse mentally every single day since I got off the pills.  Permanent brain and nerve damage, high glutamate in the brain and nervous system being released leads to brain cell death.  Brain cells won't regenerate again at the rate needed to recover brain function.  My life's over. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm on dialup and can't get on other websites or youtube.  I disagree that benzo's can't cause dementia.  There are too many research studies out there seeing a link association between dementia and benzo use.  I have dementia and it's caused by the pills.  I'm getting worse mentally every single day since I got off the pills.  Permanent brain and nerve damage, high glutamate in the brain and nervous system being released leads to brain cell death.  Brain cells won't regenerate again at the rate needed to recover brain function.  My life's over.

Becks,

Has your doc tried you on any of the Dementia/Alzheimer's drugs?

Aricept, Exlon Patch (those are 2) they tried my mom on.

They are supposed to slow down the process.

I'm sorry your hurting  :therethere:

FB

I've been too unwell to even get to the docs.  I can't drive myself and I don't have anyone to take me.  I have an appt. next month.  My old doc left the practice and all I have now is a nurse practitioner.  This guy will have no clue what to do with me when he sees me.  My old doc was on the right path.  He would have figured out what's wrong with me.  I'm so upset he left the practice.  I can't go anywhere else.  I'm at a reduced fee clinic since I don't have insurance.  I can't afford meds, no prescription insurance.  My friend told the doc last year that my level of functioning now is very low and before it was high.  I've got Alzheimer's or vascular dementia now.  I have nowhere to go live and no one to take care of me.

I'm so sorry becks. I did make a reply to you in another thread about this...........I'm trying, but you seem pretty bad off. That's when it bugs me when someone new says "I have the worst symptoms here" when they complain only about insomnia and another thing or two.........and have plenty of money to go anywhere. Ugh. I hope you feel better. Truly. Is there any chance of getting more SSDI? I mean, you seem broke to me.

Betsy

I've been too unwell to even get to the docs.  I can't drive myself and I don't have anyone to take me.  I have an appt. next month.  My old doc left the practice and all I have now is a nurse practitioner.  This guy will have no clue what to do with me when he sees me.  My old doc was on the right path.  He would have figured out what's wrong with me.  I'm so upset he left the practice.  I can't go anywhere else.  I'm at a reduced fee clinic since I don't have insurance.  I can't afford meds, no prescription insurance.  My friend told the doc last year that my level of functioning now is very low and before it was high.  I've got Alzheimer's or vascular dementia now.  I have nowhere to go live and no one to take care of me.

Well Becks if it's any consolation your posts are well-written and crystal clear.  You've got a lot more neurons firing than you may think!  We all start to lose our edge as we age.  I couldn't remember the word "nullify" in a conversation yesterday to save my life.  And I'm always going into a room and forgetting why I went there.  Yeah, benzo damage probably plays a role, but that's just the way it is.  We can't go back and change the past.  Try to enjoy the moment and remember that our gloomy projections of the future seldom come true.

Well Becks if it's any consolation your posts are well-written and crystal clear.  You've got a lot more neurons firing than you may think!  We all start to lose our edge as we age.  I couldn't remember the word "nullify" in a conversation yesterday to save my life.  And I'm always going into a room and forgetting why I went there.  Yeah, benzo damage probably plays a role, but that's just the way it is.  We can't go back and change the past.  Try to enjoy the moment and remember that our gloomy projections of the future seldom come true.

I agree 100% of what Photobug said. Also, people who have dementia don't know they have it.

Well Becks if it's any consolation your posts are well-written and crystal clear.  You've got a lot more neurons firing than you may think!  We all start to lose our edge as we age.  I couldn't remember the word "nullify" in a conversation yesterday to save my life.  And I'm always going into a room and forgetting why I went there. Yeah, benzo damage probably plays a role, but that's just the way it is.  We can't go back and change the past.  Try to enjoy the moment and remember that our gloomy projections of the future seldom come true.

Totally normal.  I've been doing this for years and so does every single person I know, benzos or not.  You learn to take advantage and do something in that room that needs to be done, eventually you'll remember why you went in there.

;)