Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

IRS SCAM

[Bi...]

Having worked in the field of busting these scammers for quite a few years, I suggest a visit to the FTC and IRS websites. Even better, you can file complaints about them if they won't leave you alone calling every 3 hours. While the scammers try to sound official with their attempt at legal mumbo jumbo, the IRS will always contact you in writing via old school normal mail. The scammers often threaten that the "sheriff" or local police will take some sort of action. In actuality, very rarely, do the two overlap since they are on the federal and local levels. These scammer jerks are constantly changing their tactics so help possible victims by filing a complaint! If friends and family in your vicinity are getting similar calls/emails you might also want to report it to your local police department. If there's a trend they're helpful at stopping localized scams in their tracks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Bi...]

• [Be...]

• [Ph...]

I know when we get a bunch of them of Town Hall calls every resident to warn us. Especially as they prey on the elderly. Good for you, benzofoe, I hope you can keep busting those greedy jerks. I always write down their # and file a compliant. This is my favorite, "I can see that you have viruses in your computer." WTH do they think I am, as I never shared it with them. :tickedoff:

Having worked in the field of busting these scammers for quite a few years, I suggest a visit to the FTC and IRS websites. Even better, you can file complaints about them if they won't leave you alone calling every 3 hours. While the scammers try to sound official with their attempt at legal mumbo jumbo, the IRS will always contact you in writing via old school normal mail. The scammers often threaten that the "sheriff" or local police will take some sort of action. In actuality, very rarely, do the two overlap since they are on the federal and local levels. These scammer jerks are constantly changing their tactics so help possible victims by filing a complaint! If friends and family in your vicinity are getting similar calls/emails you might also want to report it to your local police department. If there's a trend they're helpful at stopping localized scams in their tracks.

I actually think many of these jerks are offshore using GOOGLE PHONE or SKYPE then buying local number via  some internet service company.

I actually think many of these jerks are offshore using GOOGLE PHONE or SKYPE then buying local number via  some internet service company.

Then they should be shut down. My calls seem to come from people with Indian accents.

Foreign accents.  I got them too.  IRS call and then a computer virus call.  I called my local police and local state legislator.  They've stopped now.  They're robo calls and not even a live person on the other end.  They're scary though.  I'm afraid of the phone ringing anyway and then to get one of those calls on my anwering machine is frightening.

Foreign accents.  I got them too.  IRS call and then a computer virus call.  I called my local police and local state legislator.  They've stopped now.  They're robo calls and not even a live person on the other end.  They're scary though.  I'm afraid of the phone ringing anyway and then to get one of those calls on my anwering machine is frightening.

LMFAO  :D;D:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's very true and also part of why their attempts at legal terminology don't quite make sense. The calls I get mention the Sheriff and a magistrate judge which couldn't be more off point! The Google phone stuff really bothers me!

Talk about sick, mentally ill people??  These people who participate in this scam stuff are a really sick bunch.  I did get a live person once on the line and I screamed at the lady and then hung up.  She kept calling me back over and over again to really abuse me. 

becks, can you block them? Mine are real voices and my town called up every resident here and warned us, and said if anyone calls with an Indian accent, just hang up on them. I think that's bit much, tho.

Wow Bets that's wild. I've never heard of that. In a way it's great that your town went to great lengths to try and stop the scam in its tracks yet it does seem like a bit much. Maybe they interns that did the calling?!

Wow Bets that's wild. I've never heard of that. In a way it's great that your town went to great lengths to try and stop the scam in its tracks yet it does seem like a bit much. Maybe they interns that did the calling?!

I think they are low paid jerks who have a script in hand and if you question them and they don't have a clue, they hang up on you. I've heard their phone slam in my face a lot. Then I take down their #s from call ID and have them blocked. But they are an infestation. They need to be bug sprayed. Or better yet, have one of those loud boat horns and blast it into their ears.

Just got another PBA (Police Benevolent Association) scam call. I guess they don't know a close family member is in law enforcement. Yesterday I picked up my landline and was told I won a cruise. She proceeded to tell me I would have to pay port charges, taxes, blah blah blah, and wait for it...I would have to go to Parsippany (New Jersey) to attend a meeting. It's probably a timeshare presentation. Good grief!

Becky  :smitten:

I had to yell at that lady because she wouldn't stop calling every single day.  I got fed up just hanging up and ignoring those jerks.

I pretty much don't answer the phone unless I know who it is.  If it is that important they will leave a message.  Just wait in about two months, the political calls start coming.  Yuk then just turn the ringer off.

Sweet pea

I had to yell at that lady because she wouldn't stop calling every single day.  I got fed up just hanging up and ignoring those jerks.

I do too, and alas, they still call me everyday. So does The New Yorker magazine. We have a three year subscription and at least twice a day for the past year they call us to renew. Complaining to TNY did not help a whit. I love that magazine, but for this reason I will not renew it.

Have you ever received phantom calls?  You answer the phone and the other side immediately disconnects?  That's not a person, it's a computer system dialing a gazillion numbers and detecting which numbers are answered by an unsuspecting human being.  These numbers are then sent to a call bank database.  The numbers, which have commercial value, can be pooled and sold.

Perhaps my least favorite are the spoofers who try to look like they're calling from a phone number similar to your own number in the hopes you might pick up. Hmph!

Not to be off topic on an already off topic thread - I'd PM you if I could Bets! Do you have any recommendations when it comes to goldens and food given your experience? My 11 month old puppy might need a change of food.

Have you ever received phantom calls?  You answer the phone and the other side immediately disconnects?  That's not a person, it's a computer system dialing a gazillion numbers and detecting which numbers are answered by an unsuspecting human being.  These numbers are then sent to a call bank database.  The numbers, which have commercial value, can be pooled and sold.

Yes! That happens to me every day and each time I try to hang up, it refuses to hang up until it reaches my voice mail! I knew this was what they were doing all along. Dirty, greedy, rats. :tickedoff:

There's so much evil in this world.  If it weren't for evil, I wouldn't need Antivirus, security updates, etc.  Those rotten dishonest evildoers will surely end up in hell.  I hope they burn in hell.  I try to do the right thing all the time and end up having to take benzo's and pills to tolerate the evil mean ppl. of this world.  I hate living on this earth now that my nervous system is wrecked. 

There's so much evil in this world.  If it weren't for evil, I wouldn't need Antivirus, security updates, etc.  Those rotten dishonest evildoers will surely end up in hell.  I hope they burn in hell.  I try to do the right thing all the time and end up having to take benzo's and pills to tolerate the evil mean ppl. of this world.  I hate living on this earth now that my nervous system is wrecked.

Take heart in the fact that the world won't last much longer. See you in heaven, and don't bring your pills. :D

Take heart in the fact that the world won't last much longer. See you in heaven, and don't bring your pills. :D

If I have to share heaven with these telemarketers it will be hell :laugh:

If I have to share heaven with these telemarketers it will be hell :laugh:

Gads, no way! It And I don't think you can hang up on them.

Those phone ppl. will be going to the other place.  I'm already in the other place, so when I die it can only be better.